LegacyGT.com

Stock LGT rattling sound and sputter from 1-2k rpm

Just purchased an 05 LGT 5MT with 65k miles.

History of vehicle:

I know the owner personally he is not a car guy barley every drove the car and never been modded. The last 2 years my friend drove the car around 6-10 miles a week if that. Car has never had any issues or problems while he owned it.

I took over ownership last week put about 150 miles on it. She drove nice and strong no issues at all then about 10 miles later I started to feel a sputter from 1-2k rpm then goes away about 3k rpm and there is what sounds like a rattling sound coming from the exhaust area possibly turbo location. When in neutral and revving not noticeable only when driving. I just did plugs all around today thinking that fix the sputtering issue was but its still there. I am not throwing any codes so theres is no cel. Car idles perfectly also.

I am noob to the turbo world and have no experience with fi vehicles. I am thinking that turbo might be on its way out or there is a boost leak.

I appreciate any help in trying to diagnose this issue and get her running back to normal again. Thank you!

I'm guessing the cat in the up pipe is shot.

First try doing a boost leak test. I use a short blast of air from my compressor.

I plug the hose off the air filter box with a pint size pan can, pull the small hose off the blow off valve and give it a quick blast of air, put thumb over the hose, listen for leaks.

After you find on leaks, pull the down pipe and shaft play on the turbo.

After that remove the turbo and the uppipe. Replace the up with a catless one.

You may find a loose heat shield, check all them first also.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thank you so much for the feedback I really appreciate it!

My boy said he thought it could be a clogged cat.

Would the up pipe cause a sputter?

I will def try out the pressure test. Thank you again for the info!!!

Yes, you need catless. You can find an used STi one on NASIOC for about $75 -

Thanks for the reply!

I have an Invidia which I bought from my Tuner, www.tuningalliance.com He's also a Vendor on here, so he supports the forum.

Thanks again I actually just ordered the invidia up pipe about 2hrs ago;)

Fingers crossed that upgrade gets rid of the issue!

Archived