LegacyGT.com

max power for an automatic transmission

I am taking up her offer because i would rather have more money in my bank account that i can choose to spend on the car, or choose to not spend. All parts would come from me. I have been reading and learning about the maintenance and repairs and have money set aside in case something does happen and needs to be fixed (aka turbo, although If i do purchase the one I am looking at soon, the dealer said they will replace the banjo filter that its notorious for clogging). For now im looking to get the car, and leave it stock for a while. then maybe if i feel like it, start to mod it. I will see how the cards play out, but i want to start off with just the stock vehicle and go from there, one step at a time, but also know the potential and the problems of the vehicle

thats why I am asking questions here and trying to get as much info before i purchase so I can see what may need to be done down the line, and what I can do down the line. I would rather be over prepared rather than jumping into it not know what will come

to clafiy she is not paying for all of it, or even most of it. its the last bit in return for me doing some work that needs to be done

OP, welcome to the site.

Bartering is as old an interest exchange as you'll find. Good that you're learning and using that early in life. Find ways to use it - often. It's a benefit many never learn.

There's a ton of great info on the site and many knowledgeable owners/enthusiasts who readily share their experiences and how-to's. Search is your friend and it sounds like you're working through the threads to get the information that you need. We would ask that as you learn/find something new or interesting that you also post it up. That keeps the site knowledge base growing and others benefiting from your shared experience.

WRT some member's harsh/hazing treatment of new members, not everyone is like this. Just like the rest of the world, we have members who know and gladly exchange information, and we have those who know stuff, and want to make sure you know they know. It's a control issue...if they continue to bug you, just ignore them, or put them on "block" so you don't see their posts. If it really gets out of hand, report it. I assure you, their numbers are in the extreme minority and they usually don't remain on the site for too long.

Again, welcome and glad you could join us.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sit in traffic for 30-45 min. and tell me how fun your MT is to drive, to each is own, I'm quite happy with my boring AT and have been for 9 years!!

Actually I drive my car for a living so traffic and long distances and everything else is no problem for me. It keeps me from falling asleep behind the wheel and makes driving much more fun for me! I've tried to drive automatics and I just can't do it... Like you said though to each their own!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Manual for me, but the 5EAT, especially in the 08+ has a lot of appeal, particularly with the steering-mounted shift paddles and the rev-matching downshifts.

Maybe performance is similar but driving an automatic is just plain boring imo. I would never make a payment on a car thats an automatic for myself

I've always owned MT cars. Then I spent 2 weeks commuting in LA traffic driving a Maserati Grandsport. I really appreciated the paddle shifters on my automatic transmission. Up until then, I thought it was a waste of space. Auto mode for the 10mph commute. Paddles for the canyon runs. Supercharger & chip for everything else.

I hope that your boyfriend/girlfriend who becomes your SO is understanding of your no Auto stance. It is amazing the compromises you make to get a little bit.

yea, however trying to put 300hp through it is a lot different than putting 1000hp. Im looking to get a ballpark so i know if it is even worth my time and money trying to mod it if the tranny is going to break when i add 10hp

300hp is way more than you think. Especially if you want it to be reliable. If mom is involved in any way with your car, even if just insurance, you need to find something else. If you need convincing, check out all the YT videos of 300hp sti/wrx wrapped around various inanimate objects.

A favorite saying around here is "Stay stock, stay happy". If you are feeling like your car is not "good enough", you need a day of running autox. It takes a pretty good driver to find the limits of a stock lgt. If you think you need 300hp, you're likely not in that category.

300hp is way more than you think. Especially if you want it to be reliable. If mom is involved in any way with your car, even if just insurance, you need to find something else. If you need convincing, check out all the YT videos of 300hp sti/wrx wrapped around various inanimate objects.

A favorite saying around here is "Stay stock, stay happy". If you are feeling like your car is not "good enough", you need a day of running autox. It takes a pretty good driver to find the limits of a stock lgt. If you think you need 300hp, you're likely not in that category.

Yes, i do understand that 300hp is a lot of power, more than really necessary. While i say it is a goal, it probably wont happen. I will probably stay stock, but I would still like to know the limits of the vehicle so say a couple years down the line (if i still have the car) i have the ability to modify it. Not saying I will or Im going to, but i felt it would be good to know for the future and so I dont get something, only to discover later that nothing is really possible

I appreciate everyone's advice and feedback, you have all really helped me out

Yes, i do understand that 300hp is a lot of power, more than really necessary. While i say it is a goal, it probably wont happen. I will probably stay stock, but I would still like to know the limits of the vehicle so say a couple years down the line (if i still have the car) i have the ability to modify it. Not saying I will or Im going to, but i felt it would be good to know for the future and so I dont get something, only to discover later that nothing is really possible

I appreciate everyone's advice and feedback, you have all really helped me out

Strizzy is likely running the most hp/tq at the moment. There's a couple of others in the 500 range. Very high dollar builds.

I was never a hp nut or into drag racing, so can't help you there. I can tell you a properly prepped wagon is capable of 1.5Gs cornering, more if it was caged and you had a harness/seat.

The limits of the stock car are only going to be found on the track or a dyno. However, that comment brings out all the trolls...

Strizzy is likely running the most hp/tq at the moment. There's a couple of others in the 500 range. Very high dollar builds.

I was never a hp nut or into drag racing, so can't help you there. I can tell you a properly prepped wagon is capable of 1.5Gs cornering, more if it was caged and you had a harness/seat.

The limits of the stock car are only going to be found on the track or a dyno. However, that comment brings out all the trolls...

My ears are burning!

Lets just say original poster you can do whatever you want to any car you want. Its a free country and its your money and decision in the end. You will learn alot along the way, you will spend even more, but after its all said and done as long as you are happy thats all that matters. Good luck to you in the future sir! Remember to be safe and have fun! Im going to eat my sandwich now

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Manual for me, but the 5EAT, especially in the 08+ has a lot of appeal, particularly with the steering-mounted shift paddles and the rev-matching downshifts.

No wagon for 08 Dale, could care less about the sedans:) not a sedan hater just never considered one. Well maybe a 6 speed SpecB, oops contradicting myself.

No wagon for 08 Dale, could care less about the sedans:) not a sedan hater just never considered one. Well maybe a 6 speed SpecB, oops contradicting myself.

Well, although they're probably the rarest of the rare, 08 GT wagons DO exist. I've seen one with my own eyes!

Our Canadian brethren and sistren have 08 LGT Wagons, we just lost that benefit in 2007, unless you consider a true LGT twagon o also have rowing gears, then 2005 for us.

Archived