LegacyGT.com

max power for an automatic transmission

Hey guys

so sadly my push for a manual car has been shot down, and im being forced to look at GT autos instead of the manual i really want. Modding is something I love, and i would really like to know how much power you can get through the auto tranny before it shatters into a million pieces. Would it even be worth my time trying to mod the car?

also what mods can you not do to an auto that you can do to to a manual (i know tranny upgrades are out)

thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends how you drive it. In my opinion their both weak stock.

yea, however trying to put 300hp through it is a lot different than putting 1000hp. Im looking to get a ballpark so i know if it is even worth my time and money trying to mod it if the tranny is going to break when i add 10hp

I'm running ~300whp through my 5eat.

I only broke the center differential *inside the transmission* because I was brake boosting the hell out of it.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Why get an auto if you plan on modding? Unless you are physically incapable of driving a manual I would wait and find the right one

I am still a young guy, Therefore my mother has the final say. While i would love and enjoy a manual, she does not feel comfortable with me driving one. because she is paying for part of it, she gets to make that decision. I know it is not ideal for modding, nor is it the "true car guy way" but its what my options are so its what i am going to work with

EDIT: im also not looking to go far beyond 300whp so the posts here make me feel better. Ill probably get the hex mods VB along with the engine modifications on my list. It seems to do a good job and help guaratee that nothing will blowup. thank you all for your input, its very helpful

I am still a young guy, Therefore my mother has the final say. While i would love and enjoy a manual, she does not feel comfortable with me driving one. because she is paying for part of it, she gets to make that decision. I know it is not ideal for modding, nor is it the "true car guy way" but its what my options are so its what i am going to work with

EDIT: im also not looking to go far beyond 300whp so the posts here make me feel better. Ill probably get the hex mods VB along with the engine modifications on my list. It seems to do a good job and help guaratee that nothing will blowup. thank you all for your input, its very helpful

Just stop right there. If your mother still has a say in what kind of car you can drive, you shouldn't even be here. Furthermore, you're clearly neither mature enough, nor financially able to own an LGT.

Getting out on your own is WAYYYY more important than getting a money pit like the LGT. You DO know that modding is less important than say, going to college, or paying rent?

If your mother still has a say in what kind of car you can drive, you shouldn't even be here. Furthermore, you're clearly neither mature enough, nor financially able to own an LGT.

Do you know everything about my life of situation? no.

And you know what, maybe i will go someplace else, someplace that is respectful to others trying to get into this hobby. I simply asked a question and got the responses that i needed. Then people like you come in here, don't even read the original post, and start to make wide judgements about people you don't know.

I have been working and saving for a car like this for quite some time. Im not about to blow my whole bank account on it. I know whats worth it and whats not. Would i like 300hp? absolutely. Will i actually get there? probably not.

I have seen your other posts, just sarcastic comments that don't contribute to the topic at hand.

As for my mother's input, she had made a deal with me to redo our chimney in exchange for paying for part of the car. why would i turn that down? save some money in exchange for some work. Yes it came with its downsides but I am okay with compromising.

Do you know everything about my life of situation? no.

And you know what, maybe i will go someplace else, someplace that is respectful to others trying to get into this hobby. I simply asked a question and got the responses that i needed. Then people like you come in here, don't even read the original post, and start to make wide judgements about people you don't know.

I have been working and saving for a car like this for quite some time. Im not about to blow my whole bank account on it. I know whats worth it and whats not. Would i like 300hp? absolutely. Will i actually get there? probably not.

I have seen your other posts, just sarcastic comments that don't contribute to the topic at hand.

As for my mother's input, she had made a deal with me to redo our chimney in exchange for paying for part of the car. why would i turn that down? save some money in exchange for some work. Yes it came with its downsides but I am okay with compromising.

I don't need to know everything about your life, but, if dear ol' mom still has a say in what you can and can't drive, it sounds like you're not ready for a big-boy car with shifting gears and a turbo that goes wooosh.

But hey, it's not like I've been right where you are before.. So what do I know?

I really like my stage 3 e85 bnr16g turbo 'ed wagon pushed by the 5EAT auto. No regrets vs. a 5spd manual.

The LGT really is one of the more equitable cars when it comes to performance in 5MT vs AT -- The difference between the two is pretty much negligible.

The LGT really is one of the more equitable cars when it comes to performance in 5MT vs AT -- The difference between the two is pretty much negligible.

Maybe performance is similar but driving an automatic is just plain boring imo. I would never make a payment on a car thats an automatic for myself

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Maybe performance is similar but driving an automatic is just plain boring imo. I would never make a payment on a car thats an automatic for myself

There are some things I do miss about having a manual; not the least of which is feeling connected to the car. However, I really do like being able to just kick back and drive. With traffic being what it is these days, I get antsy enough without having to give my left leg a workout going in and out of 1st, crawling along.

Besides, the 05-06 5EATs won't let you lose traction, at all (nor will it let you turn TC off), which is, to be honest, kind of a nice feature.

• Moderators

OP, MrTris is just a troll. Useful troll, though--full of good info. You'll get used to it.

Seriously though, what do you tell mom to convince her to let you mod a vehicle that she's paying for? If you have enough for modding and buying parts, don't you have enough to pay for the car? Or is she paying for parts also?

At the end of the day, these aren't terribly cheap cars to mod and maintain. Sometimes everything goes well and according to plan, but often times that's not always the case.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

OP, MrTris is just a troll. Useful troll, though--full of good info. You'll get used to it.

Seriously though, what do you tell mom to convince her to let you mod a vehicle that she's paying for? If you have enough for modding and buying parts, don't you have enough to pay for the car? Or is she paying for parts also?

At the end of the day, these aren't terribly cheap cars to mod and maintain. Sometimes everything goes well and according to plan, but often times that's not always the case.

I am taking up her offer because i would rather have more money in my bank account that i can choose to spend on the car, or choose to not spend. All parts would come from me. I have been reading and learning about the maintenance and repairs and have money set aside in case something does happen and needs to be fixed (aka turbo, although If i do purchase the one I am looking at soon, the dealer said they will replace the banjo filter that its notorious for clogging). For now im looking to get the car, and leave it stock for a while. then maybe if i feel like it, start to mod it. I will see how the cards play out, but i want to start off with just the stock vehicle and go from there, one step at a time, but also know the potential and the problems of the vehicle

thats why I am asking questions here and trying to get as much info before i purchase so I can see what may need to be done down the line, and what I can do down the line. I would rather be over prepared rather than jumping into it not know what will come

to clafiy she is not paying for all of it, or even most of it. its the last bit in return for me doing some work that needs to be done

It's not trolling if I'm dispensing solid advice, which is pretty simple: If you still live at home and/or Mom & Dad have a say in the car/type of car you drive, you really shouldn't be here asking about transmissions and mods, you should be searching for/how to fund your freedom, not a ride.

But hey, sounds like OP's got it all figured out. :cool:

• Moderators
It's not trolling if I'm dispensing solid advice, which is pretty simple: If you still live at home and/or Mom & Dad have a say in the car/type of car you drive, you really shouldn't be here asking about transmissions and mods, you should be searching for/how to fund your freedom, not a ride.

But hey, sounds like OP's got it all figured out. :cool:

No arguments here.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived