• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going from memory...

5k: 21:35

Half: About 1:54

Full: 4:34

I hate distance. LOL

As far as strength stuff, etc... Im not a huge guy, but a couple years back, i could belt out 20 pull ups. Now... I don't even want to know. :lol:

GD...

Well, I was just happy to for a DL PR of 205 (~BW) yesterday.

:lol:

Injured myself pretty good a few years back with crap form, so it's been really slow getting back to it. Squat to DL ratio for me has pretty much always been FUBAR.

Running for distance?

Nope, that ain't me.

:spin:

• 1 month later...
So stoked right now, finally seeing real progress, I've been working chest really hard lately, it's always been my weakness . I am 5'11" and currently weigh 175 and a few weeks ago I bench pressed more than my weight, I did 185, finally at the age of 46. Today I thought why the hell not go for the big dream of 200lbs. I did it, all the way down to my chest, with just a tiny little bit of help from my spotter at the bottom. Yes! Next week going to do it without him touching the bar.

I just turned 26 but back when I was 23 my bests were

Body Weight: 140lbs

Bench Press: 255lbs

Deadlift: 300lbs

Barbell Curl: 105lbs

That deadlift was a one time thing and never attempted it again. That's a scary amount of weight for my size. Same goes for the bench. I sorta got stuck at 225 for awhile. I've got a high metabolism working against me and muscle gaining was somewhat difficult up to that point.

I started working a lot more hours and a lot less gym time happened. Now it's been 3 years and I need to get back to it. They just opened one across the street and I think I'm gonna stop by this week to get a membership. Queue "Eye of the Tiger"

• 3 weeks later...

Watch "Pumping Iron" every night for motivation ;)

Hit a personal best yesterday of 15 mph average speed over 10 miles on my bike, if that's funny to anyone it's ok I am still proud of it. And yes 5 miles one way and then back so no cheating with a long downhill ride!

Today, hit a new top speed of 27.4 mph. I felt like I went faster but never thought it was that fast. And on my lowly comfort bike, with ebay aero bars, and a chunky seat...lol.

Otherwise, doing a 5k Saturday hoping to improve on my previous best posted here somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

^ Good luck in your race!

I'm hitting the track with some guys Saturday for a 2-mile time trial. The goal pace is going to be 4:30/mile for a 9:00 finish so we'll see how it takes for dreams and reality to part ways...

Thanks, I am not sure how prepared I feel yet. I have been focusing on keeping a steady effort through about an hour of cycling so I hope that translates to more endurance when running. After this race I am going to alternate between distance and speed focus for my rides to get my endurance up.

I do think most of my issue is mentality while running. It is hard to keep going when your body says no more.

That's great man! Congrats.

Fwit, I don't see cycling as adding a HUGE benefit to running and vise versa. Cardio perhaps, but still different. With cycling, those 2 second pauses or reduced output sessions, really can help catch your breath and re-energize a bit. The effected muscle groups are also very different.

Fwit, I don't see cycling as adding a HUGE benefit to running and vise versa. Cardio perhaps, but still different. With cycling, those 2 second pauses or reduced output sessions, really can help catch your breath and re-energize a bit. The effected muscle groups are also very different.

Thanks!

Considering that is the only work I have done to prepare I would have to disagree...very much the same muscle groups as apparent by my sore quads and calves. My aim in cycling has been to keep a steady pace only breaks when I need to. Endurance is what I was really after and will keep after, I can't pound the pavement like the 160 lb 23min people. My job demands too much already from my feet. (12 hr shifts on hard concrete) lately 48 to 60 hrs a week.

Cycling is a different game, and as JJ posted coasting in cycling does help you so much to catch your breath. I can run a 5K in OK time but I really don't enjoy it. I can cycle a lot more and I enjoy the experience. People do also start with the method of running and walking in intervals in order to catch their breath. I have dated runners in the past, and they are crazy!!

My next goal is to date a cycling chick. Is a different type of crazy! :lol:

FLlegacy, where in Florida are you? What type of cycling are you doing?

---

Cycling is a different game, and as JJ posted coasting in cycling does help you so much to catch your breath. I can run a 5K in OK time but I really don't enjoy it. I can cycle a lot more and I enjoy the experience. People do also start with the method of running and walking in intervals in order to catch their breath. I have dated runners in the past, and they are crazy!!

My next goal is to date a cycling chick. Is a different type of crazy![emoji38]

FLlegacy, where in Florida are you? What type of cycling are you doing?

Just recreational, in central Florida. When I ride I don't coast, because as I said I am working on endurance mostly. I generally do a 40 to 50 min ride as far and fast as I feel I can. Once I went steady to do a 20 mile ride just to see how it went. I would like to work on both speed and stamina, not necessarily for cycling but just for general conditioning. I have no desire to ride in any race or events, not yet anyway.

I was in way better shape at the end of my last deployment (isn't that how it always goes?), but I've recently got back into the gym. Working with a trainer, going to set some baselines on Wednesday. Won't be anything crazy, but at the end of the 8 week program I expect to see some results.

The gym I go to is a power-lifting gym, so it's all about proper form and getting strong as ****. I'm not super concerned with aesthetics, but it'd be nice for my chest to enter a room before my beer keg again, and having some bigger defined arms again would be nice.

Right now I don't know what I weigh, but it's probably about two fiddy. o.O

I will say that I can get a full cardio session in in under 25 minutes now, 5 miles on the stationary bike thing plus 3 minute cooldown in under 25 total. When I first started, it took me over 25 minutes to just get the five miles in.

I could suck start a snow blower.

• 2 months later...
Last night I was logging my push-ups from this last week into my spreadsheet. I just broke 10,000 so far for the year so I am right on track. My goal is 20,016 in 2016. That averages out to 55 a day but I typically go in spurts, with 2 or 3 days of doing 100-200 and then a few days off.

PR of 305 lb on rack pulls a few weeks ago. Ran out of weight here ar the house.

Need to work on DL.

Bulgarian SS and the added DL and RP seems to be helping with back and right hip issues.

I added biking to my running routine this year and I find its been helpful. Its a bit of a different mussel group that straight running and I can only run so much :lol::lol: For me biking is more power than cardio.

Archived