LegacyGT.com

Oil separator plate: Is there supposed to be a gasket?

So I'm replacing the clutch on our 99 OB, and also replacing the very leaky original plastic oil separator plate with a new Dorman metal one.

It sure looks like this plate is designed to be used with a gasket, but there was no gasket with the Dorman plate, nor can I find any mention here or on some other Subaru forums about the metal plates needing to be installed with a gasket. I've only found mentions of Permatex Ultra Grey or anaerobic sealants.

So help me sleep better at night: Is there supposed to be a gasket?

yea just use rtv silicone. just put nice bead all the way around it and the bolt holes let it sit about 5-10 min so it starts to dry a lil bit and then slap it on n and barely tighten enough to just smoosh the silicone a lil bit wipe away extra n let it sit for couple hours and then tighten it down for good. make sure surface is clean n oil free.

Thanks for your answers. I had to ask because it looked like the design called for a gasket.

I used Permatex Ultra Grey, and while I was at it I also sealed the wrist pin access cover and both of the black plastic box things on the heads that are also called oil separators. They were leaking almost as badly as the plastic oil separator plate behind the flywheel..

Archived