LegacyGT.com

Outback XT into a Legacy GT

Hey all,

I have been looking endlessly for one of my favorite subies, a 4th gen legacy GT wagon in a manual transmission. sadly, there are none in my area for sale. However I have found a outback XT without the two tone trim for sale in the 5MT. I am wondering what differences, mainly visual, there are between the two. I would love to have the legacy, but if its possible to turn the outback into the legacy, thats what i will do.

things i know:

Outback is taller, coilovers/springs can fix that

Outback has a different grill, easy enough to fix

Outback generally has the bottom two tone trim, this one does not

Different badges obviously, some heat and dental floss can take care of that

What am I missing, both visually and mechanically?

thanks

Hey all,

I have been looking endlessly for one of my favorite subies, a 4th gen legacy GT wagon in a manual transmission. sadly, there are none in my area for sale. However I have found a outback XT without the two tone trim for sale in the 5MT. I am wondering what differences, mainly visual, there are between the two. I would love to have the legacy, but if its possible to turn the outback into the legacy, thats what i will do.

things i know:

Outback is taller, coilovers/springs can fix that

Outback has a different grill, easy enough to fix

Outback generally has the bottom two tone trim, this one does not

Different badges obviously, some heat and dental floss can take care of that

What am I missing, both visually and mechanically?

thanks

Endlessly? I mean, how far are you willing to go to get one? For some reason, are you limited to a local sale?

I found a 05 GT wagon in SWP on cars.com this morning - Might have even had the black interior. I didn't look, but, if it did, that's rare as f*ck, and you would do well to drive out and make the deal -

I wouldn't write off the outback. If done right the car can look really good with the fender flares. Its basically a factory wide body kit. Just lower it, upgrade the brakes, put on some nice wheels and it will look awesome. What color is the one you're looking at?

• Moderators

This is from my own experience with my OBXT:

• Flares - they are visual only. They are NOT a factory widebody kit as they don't really give you any additional room for tire fitment
  • Transmission - OBXTs with a 5mt have a shorter final drive ratio that works in tandem with the larger tires (225/55r17s in stead of the 215/45r17s found on LGTs). That said, a stock OBXT runs at about 3k RPMs at 70mph.
  • Tires - the larger tires as mentioned can pose a problem when you lower the car and need to fit things in the wheel wells or when you want to go with lower profile tires. If you decrease the size of the tires for better handling and or visual preference your speedometer will be off (and cannot be adjusted) and your transmission gearing will become even more aggressive--Great for acceleration, not so much for highway cruising.
  • Rear bumper cannot accomodate most LGT style exhausts due to the lack of cutouts. "fix" for this is hacking things up or doing a JDM rear bumper conversion.
  • The how car has a bunch of subframe spacers that lift things higher. I actually like this, but depending on your goals it can be quite a bit of work to swap things out for LGT bits if you truly want to go low
  • Brakes are inferior against an LGT.

That might be about it. All said and done, an OBXT simply isn't the same as an LGT. The differences may seem slight but from experience they can add up. Mine is where I want it to be now, but that's after a 6mt swap, brembos, coilovers with spacers, blah blah blah. And I've gone with slightly smaller tires overall and my speedometer is probably forever off by a bit unless I go back to stock-sized tires--don't really care tho.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

This is from my own experience with my OBXT:

• Flares - they are visual only. They are NOT a factory widebody kit as they don't really give you any additional room for tire fitment
  • Transmission - OBXTs with a 5mt have a shorter final drive ratio that works in tandem with the larger tires (225/55r17s in stead of the 215/45r17s found on LGTs). That said, a stock OBXT runs at about 3k RPMs at 70mph.
  • Tires - the larger tires as mentioned can pose a problem when you lower the car and need to fit things in the wheel wells or when you want to go with lower profile tires. If you decrease the size of the tires for better handling and or visual preference your speedometer will be off (and cannot be adjusted) and your transmission gearing will become even more aggressive--Great for acceleration, not so much for highway cruising.
  • Rear bumper cannot accomodate most LGT style exhausts due to the lack of cutouts. "fix" for this is hacking things up or doing a JDM rear bumper conversion.
  • The how car has a bunch of subframe spacers that lift things higher. I actually like this, but depending on your goals it can be quite a bit of work to swap things out for LGT bits if you truly want to go low
  • Brakes are inferior against an LGT.

That might be about it. All said and done, an OBXT simply isn't the same as an LGT. The differences may seem slight but from experience they can add up. Mine is where I want it to be now, but that's after a 6mt swap, brembos, coilovers with spacers, blah blah blah. And I've gone with slightly smaller tires overall and my speedometer is probably forever off by a bit unless I go back to stock-sized tires--don't really care tho.

They stick out a bit further than on a legacy no?

Imo, a properly put together obxt is > a properly put together lgt, this coming from an lgt driver. I want those big fog lamps damnit!!!!! And the roof racks

Me, too. Been keeping my eye out for a SWP 4G OB so I can snag the bumper at JY, but of course, if they're there, they've been wrecked, mostly on the front. :(

Archived