LegacyGT.com

Advise on what all to wrap.

2005 GT with new Invidia Up pipe, Catless Down pipe, GrimmSpeed Cross pipe and Borla cat back exhaust. I'm looking for advise on what all to wrap and the pros/cons of wrapping the manifold, up pipe, header, Down pipe, cross over pipe ? Any suggestion on what wrap to use would be appreciated Thanks, Chuck

I wrapped the up and first couple feet of the down to keep heat down around the TMIC. folks that wrap their headers complain of deterioration, although that's usually with aftermarket parts.

You wrapped OEM headers, up and down?

Yep pretty much what I did, ^

I also did the exhaust manifold by the oil filter, because the stock heat shield rusted off.

I think there are pictures in my click here link.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

After I did the VF52 upgrade, I wrapped portions of the wiring harness (that ran near the turbo area) with self - fusing silicone electrical tape that is insulating up to 500 degrees (intermittent) and also creates a water proof seal.

The oem plastic sheathing on the harness seemed to be kind of weak for heat insulation.

i wrapped my original Grimmspeed crossover pipe and I'm pretty sure it accelerated the flex joint failing. Had a terrible leak out of the flex joint after maybe 2yrs or less of use. They replaced it for me, though. Can't say enough about their customer service.

So, I do not recommend wrapping the crossover. Or, if you do, don't wrap the flex joint.

Archived