InTheBay

Hey Folks,

2005 Subaru Outback XT, 5EAT.

Fresh fluids in Transmission and both diffs

Vibration was not instigated by a part change

Notes: Loud *ping* noise when shifting into reverse or drive

Prop shaft squeaks, only in reverse

Amount of acceleration increases vibration

So I recently acquired a lovely drivetrain vibration that is enough to cause all my mirrors to shake. It seems to be frequent, but intermittent. The car does drive fine, besides the shake, but I have taken it off the road until I figure out what is going on.

My first guess is that my center diff bearings are are shot and I need to replace them with the Hexmods bushings, but any other sources that I should take a peek at would be appreciated.

Thoughts? Things to troubleshoot?

Thanks guys!

You my friend have a failed carrier bearing. And likely both shaft u joints. I just replaced mine with similar symptoms. I recommend Drive shaft shop for a custom 1 peice, or factory replacement. Limit driving the vehicle shaft can eventually screw up your diffs from vibration

To go 1 peice you need to pull the shaft from the car and measure from edge of rear

Yoke to end of shaft.

You my friend have a failed carrier bearing. And likely both shaft u joints. I just replaced mine with similar symptoms. I recommend Drive shaft shop for a custom 1 peice, or factory replacement. Limit driving the vehicle shaft can eventually screw up your diffs from vibration

To go 1 peice you need to pull the shaft from the car and measure from edge of rear

Yoke to end of shaft.

Do you happen to recall what the cost out the door was to replace your carrier bearing and drive shaft? What did you use as a replacement carrier, as if I understand it right, the subaru one is built on.

I replaced the entire shaft with a custom 1 peice from DSS 479.95 is their base price for a 3in aluminum shaft. Then $10 for boxing $30 shipping.

You have to pull your current shaft to measure it for the replacement.

Or you can source a new factory one

PM HAMMERDOWN he know's a place that made his shaft. I believe it was cheaper.

The sticky at the top of the 4th gen forum by JMP may have some info.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived