LegacyGT.com

Legacy 2014

RamvFL

Hi all, I joined the list today.

I am considering buying a legacy, among other cars. It could be a used one, perhaps a 2014 model, likely a 2.5i.

1) I am hearing mixed reports about CVT. It seems it takes a while for the car to pick up after giving gas. When the car eventually gets going, there is a sudden motion when changing speeds. In addition to that, moving from standstill is not

(3:17)

I also read that in very cold weather (like along the lakes in midwest where i live), CVTs performance can be even slower.

Any honest feedback from people who own the car and who drove it in winter? How would you compare that to the acceleration or performance of a camry or accord or mazda.

2) Re acceleration: While I am not looking for a Porsche in winter, I would still like my car to have decent acceleration to be able to drive in city traffic. I once rented a 2011 4-cyl camry with about 27K miles in it. I was impressed by its pickup; I would be happy with that pickup.

Links related: http://tinyurl.com/mdm9b4p

http://tinyurl.com/cx62j8u (this article says that "CVT can make or break a purchase").

http://tinyurl.com/pnml3cx

Thanks,

Ram.

I would recommend test driving one.

The Legacy acceleration is probably slower because of the addition drivetrain losses of the AWD. In cold weather the engine makes more HP, so I can't imagine it being slower once the oils are warmed up. I wish my car accelerated like it does in the winter year round.

The subaru CVT isn't comparable to Nissans..lets just say that. Theres a nice delay from stop to moving, and people have complaints about the engine noise. They've addressed SOME of these issues in the new wrx CVT for 15, but still it's a growing technology, certainly not perfected. My parents drive a 12 outback CVT..and I hate it.

In my opinion**

2017 Subaru STI

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i limited

I have a '12 2.5i. I love how smooth it is, and the decent power it has. The engine noise is actually pleasing to me. I have 35K miles under the hood and they have all been enjoyable.

People that have driven my car always comment on how smooth it is, and the power it has. Some even think it is a V6. In comparison when I drive the GF's '13 Acura TSX I wish it had a CVT. You can definitely tell the gear shifting points, and the hunting down gears when passing in the freeway is annoying. Also the engine noise is not at pleasant.

YMMV

---

The Subaru CVT is considered by many to be the best CVT out there because of its recreation of the behavior of a traditional automatic . Subaru spent a lot of time programming the TCU of the CVT and included the paddle shifters to provide for a sporty feeling shifting experience. Personally I don't have any experience with it....becuz 6MT, but that opinion has been voiced many times on this board.

The Legacy acceleration is probably slower because of the addition drivetrain losses of the AWD. In cold weather the engine makes more HP, so I can't imagine it being slower once the oils are warmed up. I wish my car accelerated like it does in the winter year round.

Thanks dgoodhue and others who answered.

I read this auto doctor from 2013 link, and the first question mentions that the upshift takes 10 minutes in winter till the car warms up. To me it sounds impossible to be in lower gear for 10 minutes while driving. The poster mentions that the performance seemed to get worse compared to the previous winter. Do the 2014 model cars come with the 're-flashed' computer.

Archived