LegacyGT.com

Ingersoll Rand W7150 - Beast

Just thought I would post up my first impressions with this cordless impact.

I was debating between going cordless or going compressed air but ended up not wanting to drag a hose around and deal with the noise (town-home community). After watching a bunch of videos on the W7150 I was sold. I suggest you do the same if you want to see some awesome cordless power.

My first weekend using the impact was to remove my axle and replace my wheel bearings. The lug nuts were obviously easy, the axle nut didnt slow it down and the rusted to hell knuckle/wheel bearing bolts were crazy easy. I also had to take out the struts (long story) but those were as easy as cake. I love this tool and couldn't be happier with its performance. After all that work on both sides the battery level only dropped down to 75%.

FYI - There is a rebate for a free battery with purchase. I sent it off and will hope to get the bigger 3.0 amp battery instead of the 1.5. Either way thats a free $100 accessory. I would also get the red case as it will keep it from getting all scuffed up.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/theflystyle/IMAG0353_zps22461279.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hows it been since you first posted? I find that snap on batteries last a year or so before they start to die. Just wondering if the batteries are still working like new, or if you had to replace them by now.

But yes, I look at that all the time as well. Though the newer ac delco gun that limits torque could be quite useful as well for putting lug nuts on.

• 1 month later...
I have the Milwaukee 2763-22 M18 Fuel 1/2" Impact with the ring (which is preferred over the pin detent) and love it. Runs forever on a charge and powers 100% all the way to the end of the charge. No slow battery death FTW. More than enough power for the 1/2" big jobs.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have the Milwaukee 2763-22 M18 Fuel 1/2" Impact with the ring (which is preferred over the pin detent) and love it. Runs forever on a charge and powers 100% all the way to the end of the charge. No slow battery death FTW. More than enough power for the 1/2" big jobs.

That's on my list of next "big" tool purchases. I love the M12 Fuel 3/8" impact that I already have.

Interesting... I did not know about this. I have a 3/4" drive air powered IR 261 that can remove just about anything, but I don't have a big/huge compressor, hoses and all that air stuff I used to have. Pretty much need a 240V $400+ compressor to drive it. No 240v in my condo either.

So I recently bought a 8amp / 350 ft-lb Craftsman corded electric impact gun. It was 1/3 of the price of this W7150 beast. But looks like it does 1/3 of the torque. And I've already had some issues removing nuts with it... $350 is still much cheaper than an air compressor, hoses, filters n such to run my big 3/4 drive gun.

Shoot, I should sell my IR 255, return the Craftsman, and get the W7150!!

Question: Why does this cordless do more torque than a corded electric impact? just doesn't seem logical to me.

I was reading reviews on Garage Journal and I remember seeing that even though the specs were the same, the M18 didnt have the umph to get some rusty nuts off like the IR did. The tool line was a bigger bonus for the Mil. though.

I do wish the IR was a bit smaller to fit into tighter spaces. I dont think you can make a bad choice between the two. Prices are almost identical for the two battery kits as well.

Here is a direct compare review: http://www.coptool.com/high-torque-impact-wrenches-milwaukee-m18-2763-22-vs-ingersoll-rand-iqv20-w7150-k2/#more-2693

I was reading reviews on Garage Journal and I remember seeing that even though the specs were the same, the M18 didnt have the umph to get some rusty nuts off like the IR did. The tool line was a bigger bonus for the Mil. though.

I do wish the IR was a bit smaller to fit into tighter spaces. I dont think you can make a bad choice between the two. Prices are almost identical for the two battery kits as well.

Here is a direct compare review: http://www.coptool.com/high-torque-impact-wrenches-milwaukee-m18-2763-22-vs-ingersoll-rand-iqv20-w7150-k2/#more-2693

It's interesting what the Internet giveth and taketh... My take away from the Interwebs is that they are tied. I was watching videos comparing the W7150 and the M18 2763-20/22 and in one video they compared the reversing torque on each, back to back. Both hit 900 ft-lbs. Sounds like either would be fine for me, and but I'm leaning towards the 2763-20/22, with it's the less maintenance. And the charger can charge the M12 batteries, sucking me into more tool shopping. :-D

If you want to be slick about buying the Milwaukee, you can get the bare tool, charger and one battery separately for about $375 on Amazon. Even less if you buy a charger and batteries off ebay. You're only saving the price of a 2nd battery though.

Archived