LegacyGT.com

Deadly Subaru Impreza crash. Prayers needed.

mccrackin11

Police say a preliminary investigation indicates speed may have been a factor in the crash.

While I never wish misfortune on anyone, hopefully images and stories such as this are a big wake up call to younger drivers with fast cars. This is completely avoidable, and just because you think you are a good driver at that age, it's likely you are not. Unfortunately for the driver, if he does make it - he will have to live with the guilt of killing a friend for the rest of his life.

I think our driving tests are too easy, and there should be some advanced driver skills required to obtain a license in this country.

When I bought my bug-eye (rims look like bug-eye rims) back in 2001 one of my brothers-in-law (then sales manager at a Honda dealership) took it for a spin. When he came back he announced to my wife "well, if he's going to kill himself in a car, this is the one".

Ageism showing here but I was 37 when I bought my first WRX. My 16YO daughter wants to learn how to drive stick; the only one in the driveway is the LGT. No way, no how. Giving a kid a WRX is just as dangerous as giving a kid a crotch-rocket. At 20 (in 1984) I was driving a 1984 VW Rabbit GTi and I could get in trouble even with all of those 90hp.

To crumple a bug-eye WRX like that takes some serious speed. My wife was driving mine when someone turned in front of her and at a combined closing speed of about 50 MPH the front-end damage was nowhere that severe.

Could be former/current members here. Fast cars don't make good drivers or sound decision makers. Anyone can get in a car and drive fast...not everyone can pull it off safely. Sorry to hear about such a tragic accident.

Tragedy is when a pickup jumps the median and plows into you while you're just minding your own business. When the driver is the proximate cause (as the condition of that WRX implies, combined with single-car accident and "speed"), it's no longer tragedy.

Tragedy happens to you externally. When you do it to yourself there are other words I will not use until we have more information. Tragedy here extends solely to the now-deceased passenger.

Tragedy is when a pickup jumps the median and plows into you while you're just minding your own business. When the driver is the proximate cause (as the condition of that WRX implies, combined with single-car accident and "speed"), it's no longer tragedy.

Tragedy happens to you externally. When you do it to yourself there are other words I will not use until we have more information. Tragedy here extends solely to the now-deceased passenger.

That's probably not easy for most people to take, but I totally agree. Calling it a "tragic accident" implies that it was totally unavoidable. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

This should be a good reminder to all of us that we're mortal and we should to be careful with ourselves, especially when driving.

• Moderators

That's probably not easy for most people to take, but I totally agree. Calling it a "tragic accident" implies that it was totally unavoidable. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

You all are arguing semantics over a situation in which someone died.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

You all are arguing semantics over a situation in which someone died.

We weren't trying to argue or play down the loss of life, I was merely reminding everyone that deadly car crashes like this one are sometimes preventable.

I said that in my first comment but you removed that part when you quoted me.

No one thinks what happened is anything less than horrible, I promise.

• Moderators
We weren't trying to argue or play down the loss of life, I was merely reminding everyone that deadly car crashes like this one are sometimes preventable.

I said that in my first comment but you removed that part when you quoted me.

No one thinks what happened is anything less than horrible, I promise.

You're right, don't mean to take things out of content, just try to avoid reposting tons of text.

That said, the dead one here (so far) had zero chance of preventing the accident. No steering wheel / pedals in the passenger set.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Sad, but it happens all to often.

I began teaching my son how to drive when he was very young. When it came time for him to get behind the wheel at age 16, he had a good set of driving skills in his mind. Had a 428whp civic when he was 18y/o. He's now 26y/o. The only accident he's had is when he spun his S2000 last year, just kissed the rear bumper.

Those of you with young children, begin teaching them the rules of the road at many years before they start driving.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-says-teens-cars-are-not-safe-enough/

IIHS-rated "good choices" under $10,000 include the 2009 Mercury Sable, the 2009 Subaru Legacy and the Nissan Rogue 2008 and later.

"Good choices" cars have good or acceptable side-crash protection and head restraints rated better than poor, plus electronic stability control.

The $7,900 2005 Acura TL is also on the list under "good choices."

The IIHS says to stay away from vehicles with high horsepower as well as small and mini cars.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-says-teens-cars-are-not-safe-enough/

IIHS-rated "good choices" under $10,000 include the 2009 Mercury Sable, the 2009 Subaru Legacy and the Nissan Rogue 2008 and later.

"Good choices" cars have good or acceptable side-crash protection and head restraints rated better than poor, plus electronic stability control.

The $7,900 2005 Acura TL is also on the list under "good choices."

The IIHS says to stay away from vehicles with high horsepower as well as small and mini cars.

Wow! Fourth gen is big slow and ugly? Imagine that fourth gen owners aren't gonna like their car being called "Ugly". They even used a picture of an LGT as the ugly one. Ouch!

• 11 months later...
My thoughts and prayers to all. So sad that it is also close to home. My 19yo boy just got his license in March and I set him up in a little 2002 Impreza wagon in May ... with a ton of stiputations. No speeding, no drinking, no fooling around ... and to be used for work and school. Any BS and I take the car back. Where he is such a new driver, he is limited on having just a few very select friends in the car. I also made him attend driving school, not necessary where he was over 18, but it did help on the insurance. Teach as best as you can and hope they do well and pray nothing bad happens.

From what I've read catscans show Aaron may have had a seizure right before the crash.

Mmmmm. My GF had a seizure (her first ever) on the highway. We plan to get her a Subaru when the time is right....now that Eyesight is available, I'm thinking that this is a really important option for her safety and the safety of others.

Archived