LegacyGT.com

My transformation (in progress)

So a little back story. I've struggled with weight issues my whole life. Growing up I was a big kid. Around 16 I slimmed down a bit and was just a bit chunky but then I had shoulder surgery in 2009 which put me back up in the obese BMI range, nearing morbid (according to BMI) though I've always had a good bit of muscle mass.

In 2013 I started doing a lot of High intensity interval training which helped me lose quite a bit of initial weight and also helped me fix my nutrition. Up until recently I haven't been crazy with my diet, though now I'm on a very strict plan.

Here are is my weight log to the best of my recollection:

Height: 5' 9"

October 2012: 232 lbs

May 2013: 216 lbs

February 2014: 205 lbs

June 2014: 195 lbs

Here are some pictures from the journey:

http://www.club3g.com/forum/attachments/health-fitness-food/14106d1405075778-my-results-photo.jpg

February 2013 -> June 20th, 2014

http://www.club3g.com/forum/attachments/health-fitness-food/14114d1405075778-my-results-photo-1-.jpg

June 20th, 2014 -> July 11th, 2014

For my diet I really only eat salad, white meat chicken, eggs, brown rice and assorted veggies. Drink only water aside from orange juice every few days in the morning.

My goal is to get to 185 lbs, and see where I want to go from there. My workout that I began in May with my diet is strictly weightlifting. The only cardio I do is when I play soccer, frisbee or go for bike rides. I do no cardio training.

My current weight lifting maxes:

Flat bench: 225 x 4

Front Squat: 185 (5 x 5)

Deadlift: 335 x 3

I'm posting because I know when I began this every thread I saw like this motivated me. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I'm by no means an expert but everything I've done has worked very well for me.

Good for you Jeremy! Keep up the good work!

Having been through this I will say that it is very hard, if not impossible, to do a strength training program and focus on dropping your weight at the same time. Even maintaining weight but exchanging fat for muscle ("recomp") takes an inordinate amount of discipline in both diet and exercise (both cardio and strength training). If the number is less important than how you feel/look, then I would recommend doing clean-bulk/cut cycles on a seasonal basis. This has its own challenges but I think comes more naturally than a strict recomp year-round.

Curious why you are doing front squats instead of back squats breaking just below parallel. Front squats, while difficult in their own right, do not engage the posterior chain from the hamstrings all the way up the back unlike the stretch-reflex involved in a back squat.

Question - can you overhead press with your shoulder injury? Maybe the shoulder is also why you don't back squat?

Let me know if you have any other questions. You might not have been able to tell when you met me, since I had been off my program for ~1.5 years on account of the new business and baby, but from '08-'12 I went from 230lbs (fat) to 160lbs (skinny fat) back to 190lbs (on a strength/bulk program) and then to ~175lbs on a strict recomp. Left unchecked I tend to pack on fat on top of a skinny frame which is a horrible combo. Fortunately I enjoy my program but had to learn and make changes to accommodate the rest of what comes along with life. You will definitely benefit from naturally carrying more muscle mass, especially relative to your height.

Good for you Jeremy! Keep up the good work!

Having been through this I will say that it is very hard, if not impossible, to do a strength training program and focus on dropping your weight at the same time. Even maintaining weight but exchanging fat for muscle ("recomp") takes an inordinate amount of discipline in both diet and exercise (both cardio and strength training). If the number is less important than how you feel/look, then I would recommend doing clean-bulk/cut cycles on a seasonal basis. This has its own challenges but I think comes more naturally than a strict recomp year-round.

Curious why you are doing front squats instead of back squats breaking just below parallel. Front squats, while difficult in their own right, do not engage the posterior chain from the hamstrings all the way up the back unlike the stretch-reflex involved in a back squat.

Question - can you overhead press with your shoulder injury? Maybe the shoulder is also why you don't back squat?

Let me know if you have any other questions. You might not have been able to tell when you met me, since I had been off my program for ~1.5 years on account of the new business and baby, but from '08-'12 I went from 230lbs (fat) to 160lbs (skinny fat) back to 190lbs (on a strength/bulk program) and then to ~175lbs on a strict recomp. Left unchecked I tend to pack on fat on top of a skinny frame which is a horrible combo. Fortunately I enjoy my program but had to learn and make changes to accommodate the rest of what comes along with life. You will definitely benefit from naturally carrying more muscle mass, especially relative to your height.

Rick I didn't know you were into all this, thanks for all the tips!

My right shoulder ROM is significantly decreased post-op and I can't hold the bar on my back comfortably, that's why I do front squats instead.

I have recently been able to up the weight with shoulder press, I was previously restricted to 30 pounds due to it being uncomfortable and could feel slight separation in my shoulders when pressing.

I did my shoulder day Wednesday and I was pressing 60 pound dumbells for 4 sets and it felt great.

As for cutting and building, I think my understanding is a little different. I went into this cutting with some existing muscle mass. I lifted quite a bit before changing my diet. When I began this regiment in late May I weighed 205 or so, and could bench 185 for a max of maybe 5 reps and as of late May I couldn't get a single rep of 225 even if I tried it on my first set.

This week this was my flat bench routine:

10 x 135

8 x 185

4 x 225

8 x 185

10 x 135

I really like pyramid workouts and they've been working.

Looking at my weight loss too, I'm down 10 pounds from when I started and added about 40 pounds onto my flat bench (and all other compound lifts).

I think my understanding is that I won't induce hypertrophy in caloric defecit so I won't necessarily be building mass during this routine but I can continue to increase strength. I plan to keep up with my lifts and continue to add weight while maintaining this diet. Once I hit 185 I'll see if I want to cut more or if like you said I want to go into a bulk / cut phase.

It's funny, I had the shoulder surgery in 2009 (labrum SLAP tear, entire labrum torn) and now I had an MRI done for my left shoulder done in November showing that I had a nearly identical tear in that shoulder that required surgery. My physical therapist told me to avoid heavy shoulder press, heavy flat bench etc etc. But I've been very good at being cautious and listening to the pain. With joints, "no pain no gain" is far from valid. Fish oil has significantly helped with inflamation that I used to get post workout.

As far as supplements I only use preworkout. Protein shakes would put me over my calorie intake that I'm trying to get daily (1500-1600 cals).

Keep it up! Pyramid workouts are great and as far as caloric intake vs more protein it's best to stay within your daily intake like you are, better suited for goals. If you want to increase intake of protein without a big increase in calories I would recommend foods rather than supplements. Things like egg whites, turkey bacon, and nuts can be helpful.

Not sure what your dieting program is so if you already know this you can go ahead and ignore me, keep it up though!

I'm your height and in college weighed 215 at my heaviest, I played rugby and have a stocky build but I was unhealthy sitting around 22-24% BMI. The years since then I've dropped to 170 and sit at around 11-12% though it took a lot of work, I gain both unhealthy and healthy mass VERY easily so my routines now are heavy on the cardio with strength training 4-5days a week.

Keep it up JermTheElf!

Keep it up! Pyramid workouts are great and as far as caloric intake vs more protein it's best to stay within your daily intake like you are, better suited for goals. If you want to increase intake of protein without a big increase in calories I would recommend foods rather than supplements. Things like egg whites, turkey bacon, and nuts can be helpful.

Not sure what your dieting program is so if you already know this you can go ahead and ignore me, keep it up though!

I'm your height and in college weighed 215 at my heaviest, I played rugby and have a stocky build but I was unhealthy sitting around 22-24% BMI. The years since then I've dropped to 170 and sit at around 11-12% though it took a lot of work, I gain both unhealthy and healthy mass VERY easily so my routines now are heavy on the cardio with strength training 4-5days a week.

Keep it up JermTheElf!

Thanks man!

Here's my diet right now:

Breakfast:

3 eggs, 1 egg white with fat free feta cheese (low cal high protein) and pico de gaillo

Lunch:

Salad with boiled or grilled chicken, fat free feta, 1-2 hard boiled eggs, few croutons, veggies and light greek dressing

Dinner:

Same as lunch of will have chicken stirfry with veggies w/ whole grain pasta.

I don't get hungry anymore, I pretty much crave what I normally eat.

When I do feel like snacking I have a banana with some all natural Teddy's peanut butter.

I haven't been doing any cardio throughout this bout of cutting, I'm sure it would speed up progress a bit but I may be getting hungrier and screw with my diet. I've just been aiming for 1500-1600 calories per day and get cardio from bike riding sometimes and playing soccer / swimming (competitively) / frisbee.

Oh man I haven't had Teddy's since I left Vermont like 6 years ago, haha. Sounds good though!

If you have it there I'd recommend looking into PB2, its a powder peanut butter made from peanuts, they drain a ton of the oils and fats out of it leaving a much leaner product, just add a little water and it's the same consistency of Peanut Butter, same taste, same amount of protein but with less calories and almost no fat.

Swimming is one of the things I've just gotten into, fantastic low impact cardio and I've seen a big difference in back and arm definition since doing it twice a week for nearly 3 months. I don't do it competitively just laps at the pool. I'll dabble in the different styles, Back stroke, Butterfly, Free. I still probably look like I'm drowning half the time.

1500 cals per day? I'm female 5'1" and 130 lb on poverty macros and I'm at 1550/day. Also cutting since April. Did you set those calories restrictions yourself or someone else?
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

1500 cals per day? I'm female 5'1" and 130 lb on poverty macros and I'm at 1550/day. Also cutting since April. Did you set those calories restrictions yourself or someone else?

I set them, and they've worked for me. I don't get hungry, I don't feel tired, I'm still gaining strength and I've been dropping weight.

On friday I finally got to 100's for flat dumbell press. Big goal for me.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just got back from a short vaca visiting a friend in florida at an air force base. Ate like crap but at least worked out while i was there. Cool thing they had tested body fat percentage so I did it just to see.

I'm at 14% BF! I was expecting 17-18 or something. I was at 25 or so last year. Awesome. I want to get to 10%, should bet achievable seeing where I'm at now.

Bump for GA1Nz

Weighed in at 194.2 lbs this morning.

Also got some new personal records last night at the gym and the day before.

Front squats: 5 x 5 @185lbs

Incline bench press: 3 reps of 205lbs (mid set in pyramid workout)

Flat dumbell bench press: 6 reps at 100lbs (each arm)

Feeling great, never thought I'd be able to continue to keep increasing weight while dropping pounds.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived