LegacyGT.com

Legacybt 6mt Compromised Autocross Build

well, assuming the valving in those shocks are still good and dont need a servicing, you might be alright with them. i found my old AST4100's to be much more compliant that a set of tein Flex's even though the ASTs had 50% stiffer springs. So it all comes down to valving. having said that, if you drive on roads that demand beyond the shock travel that you have, then it will be rough no matter how good the shocks/springs are, so keep that in mind. you may find you need less sway bar with these new shocks, at least in the rear.

I had TIC AST's that were the same way , KW , AST and Ohlins are just in another level of valving and QC

You're building quite the collection of LGT's :lol:

I chatted with him about his approach to the swap - we'll see if I can carry on with the design I have in mind and incorporate the ABS sensor.

I have two sets of trailing arms sitting in the garage I'm working with - a steel set and a JDM spec B aluminum set with a Brembo-specific LGT backing plate to compare against. I'm all set as far as measurements go, and am working off manufacturer specs/drawings for the 08 sti hubs.

This is interesting as I really don't want to build another financial suffering wagon but if I could have a 5x114 LGT Wagon to match my 5x114 Wrx wagon I would totally build one as a DD with an EJ20X.

I was up at our local rally shop picking up some fun stuff, and found out what the deal with my set of oddball rear axles is. It sounds like they were assembled pre-spec B axle availability to work a R180 into a LGT that made 703 whp on race gas... I'm happy to find out that I own custom driveshaft shop 27mm axle bars and cryo-treated CV joints!

I was up at our local rally shop picking up some fun stuff, and found out what the deal with my set of oddball rear axles is. It sounds like they were assembled pre-spec B axle availability to work a R180 into a LGT that made 703 whp on race gas... I'm happy to find out that I own custom driveshaft shop 27mm axle bars and cryo-treated CV joints!

They have a part number for those axles?

A 114.3 converted gen4 went up for sale in aus recently, the owner had the rear hub/bearing unit modified by an engineering workshop at the bearing interface eg gen4 inner mount, Sti outer.

I’ll try dig up the post on FB...

http://www.licmotorsports.com/products/lic-motorsports-5x1143-5x100-bearinghub-conversion-02-07-wrx-04-sti_lic-042012

Is a solution but already sold out.

Skf will make them, but needs a big order to make it worth while. Trying to get a price

Axles become a complication. Track width of the LGT is ~2" narrower than the 2005+ STI, so each STI rear axle will be compressed by 1" leaving its working range a lot smaller than designed. That solution may require custom DSS STI rear axle bars. Still, pursue it! No promises what I'm working on will be a working solution.

• 4 weeks later...
Little off topic, what coilovers are you running now? Still have those ohlins for sale?

Replied to your PM. Still on RCE Tarmacs, will be changing to AST 5300's once I get them rebuilt (assuming they're in good enough shape to rebuild...). Ohlins sold to Magnusonsubie a while back.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Little updates along the way. I hit 160,000 miles (1/4 million km's); one headgasket is leaking, and I am continually improving the sound system.

My hoodscoop also developed some sort of cancer. It was progressively worsening over the last few months, and I finally found one to replace it.

Before:

fpngUiy.jpg

After:

FT0G2vF.jpg

Much better.

Edited by legacybt

pictures don't load, although assuming that's what you meant ^^^

What's up with the axles? Get all that figured out?

Thanks, not sure why they didn't load before. Should be good now!

No progress on the axles, home renovations took over my life. A failed head gasket should fix that though :)

• 4 months later...

Rear brembo adapter owners should take a moment and read this:

I had a scary moment a few months ago. I was very lucky to have noticed the clunking of a rogue caliper while leaving the garage, and not at speed where the outcome could have been very different...

s54yW0kh.jpg

CvDHSbkh.jpg

CrGi1Zth.jpg

I don't have information on what brand or version of adapters these were. They were purchased used, and look like they had been an early version that were clearanced to fit the rear arms.

It looks like the metal fatigued over time and eventually split open lengthwise. I still need to put a straightedge on the rotors to see if they were over-worn or warped; it looks like there are heat marks where the internal vanes are:

sUxdpPlh.jpg

Fortunately I had some sweet JDM action sitting in the garage at the time - an OEM Legacy GT Brembo backing plate and e-brake assembly from another side project that got pushed aside.

3uDrBQbh.jpg

I cranked out a full e-brake assembly swap in the apartment garage, which was none too fun. Moral of the story here is to check your adapters for any cracks when you have the wheels off, and make sure your rear rotors are straight! Aluminum fatigues much faster than steel, so check your adapters when you swap your wheels over :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Bringing this thread back to life..

I cleared 300,000 kms and decided to finally take the plunge and take it to the track.   I bled the brakes and fitted a set of 255/35R18 ECS's, and with the safety-critical stuff sorted didn't do a whole lot else since I signed up for the track day 2 days before it was held.  The engine lasted about 5 laps 😎, consuming >1L of oil in that time. 

IMG_1244.thumb.JPG.0301b7f543cf5a967917c1846b6e00ef.JPG

I haven't fully diagnosed it yet, but I'm fairly certain the PCV system wasn't working properly and a bunch of oil was ingested, leading to knock and cracked ringlands.  Smoke on start-up, smoke comin through oil fill cap, low compression and high oil consumption.  Despite that, I'm hooked.  

Screenshot2023-07-18072709.thumb.jpg.de1dd52bd89910ae0c01e894c44df133.jpg

It finally kick-started my backlog of upgrades I've had slated for the car, so there should be some fun updates coming over the next weeks and months. 

I've purchased an IAG AOS and an oil cooler (oil temps were higher than I'd like to see) - two worthwhile lessons that I'm glad I learned on an old, stock motor and not the built one that's going in. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1