LegacyGT.com

How to Remove All Banjo Filters

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, am I supposed to take out the filters from those three banjo bolts? Should I just remove the filter to the turbo? I need to get this job done so I just wanted to know :)

Remove as many as you feel like, but the turbo is a must. If I remember, the AVCS ones throw codes if they become problematic. The turbo one throws engines :lol:

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

The AVCS ones might cause inconsistent intake cam advances side to side. This could lead to detonation, AVCS change volumetric efficiency and with VE changes timing requirements change.

I've also seen my AVCS get stuck at one setting. This could also kill and engine with detonation (running 20* AVCS at high RPM's = engine not happy).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

So I checked out my bolt to the oil line that runs to the turbo, the hole is a lot smaller from what I have seen on this topic. Would it hurt if I ordered one with a bigger hole? Mine resembles the bolt on the right. Don't mind the left banjo bolt.

Subaru_banjos.jpg

That's the wrong bolt, your looking at the turbo side bolt, while we are referring to the head bolt, which has even bigger oil feed holes then FP's.

If you are on the stock turbo do not touch the turbo side bolt. It has a built in restrictor not to over oil the turbo (which leads to smoking too).

22 Ascent STOCK

• 7 months later...
And you want that copper loop, especially if changing the AVCS (Cyl 2-4) BB, because you can use a small thread loop to hold it in place on the BB during reinstall.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I saw the post about the wire, I was like, uhhhhh I don't want to deal with that haha.

Installing UP/DP this weekend. Will just pull the turbo (or should I not) to pull the UP and have room for that bolt.

I won't get to the one near the timing belt issue, not sure if it's worth just doing one or three and not all four as that may force that one in particular to get more debris.

And you want that copper loop, especially if changing the AVCS (Cyl 2-4) BB, because you can use a small thread loop to hold it in place on the BB during reinstall.

Do you know where to find these? It will saves lives because it would make the install much easier :lol:

22 Ascent STOCK

Would you advise against removing just one or a few if not capable of getting to all at once or do you believe it would force one filter to clog even quicker if no others exist?

Nope, get any one out asap! The most important one is the turbo one, then turbo side AVCS bolt (which shouldn't be there for 05+ LGT's but was then on my 04 FXT).

I didn't remove my driver side AVCS feed for about a year or so. The reason I took that daunting task is, I saw my driver side AVCS hang up and lag behind the passenger one in RomRaider.

22 Ascent STOCK

I saw the post about the wire, I was like, uhhhhh I don't want to deal with that haha.

Installing UP/DP this weekend. Will just pull the turbo (or should I not) to pull the UP and have room for that bolt.

I won't get to the one near the timing belt issue, not sure if it's worth just doing one or three and not all four as that may force that one in particular to get more debris.

I skipped the AVCS one - juat had the timing belt done and didnt want to hack at the bolt.

Lifting the engine will be MUCH easier IMO. Two nuts and a jack to lift the engine a touch will be easier and a lot faster then draining coolant and oil to pull the turbo to get the UP out

If you know about the wire and such going into it then its not that bad. But the AVCS one is the only one id skip and im not sure pulling the turbo would make it easier to get the washers in there. The attaches washers look awesome tho!

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

The "yes" meaning you are against it?

Woop that's one of those "Do you mind if I..." and people answer "yes". I changed the wording to be more specific. You can pull them one by one, that's what I did, just get the turbo one out first.

22 Ascent STOCK

Do you know where to find these? It will saves lives because it would make the install much easier :lol:

They're available from Parts.Subaru.com, or from your Subaru dealer for possibly less $. ;)

WP posted the P/N 17556AA000

They're available from Parts.Subaru.com, or from your Subaru dealer for possibly less $. ;)

WP posted the P/N 17556AA000

Can't find pictures to see if it's the U shaped one or not with that part number :)

22 Ascent STOCK

Can't find pictures to see if it's the U shaped one or not with that part number :)

Click on the link I provided to parts.subaru.com and you'll see the picture of it.

Click on the link I provided to parts.subaru.com and you'll see the picture of it.

Yeah didn't click it before, since I thought it was just a basic link to the site instead of to the actual product, thanks will keep that part number handy.

22 Ascent STOCK

• 1 month later...

I got the infamous P0011 code just the other day however it went away on its own. The code was gone for a week but just came back. Since its coming and going, should I just flush the oil and hope it clears deposits or just go ahead and remove those filters?

Car has 135k and I have only owned it for a few moths now

Archived