LegacyGT.com

SoCal Surfing, any true riders out there?

After years of longboarding and snowboarding it's my time to finally catch a wave. I'm looking to head up toward the SoCal area preferrably closer to San Diego. I'm looking for any information whereabouts I should head to.

I'lll be going with one buddy and we don't need much other than a good spot to rent a board and a place to hang our hammocks at night. Preferrably closer to the beach but we don't mind walking a bit either. We would like to lose the crowds and have some more manageable waves since we will be new.

So any tips on beaches or good backwoods locations?

Thanks.

^^^the scenario you're describing exists south of the border. All is not lost, but you aren't going to find backwoods camping+rentals+waves.

A fair amount of beach camping exists. Most of it is off the PCH, and can get crowded. Avoid weekends if possible. Something like south Carlsbad comes to mind if you want to keep it closer to SD. While quality isn't great, the wave quantity is there, and should offer an adequate beginner intro.

IMO, SoCal is not the place for a camp/surf trip. If SD's on your radar, I'd suggest pillaging the town's awesome beer and food offerings, while staying at a hostel or cheap VRBO rental if looking to budget. Coastal landscapes in the area are absurd, and there are a few beginner waves in w/beautiful backdrops that are rare in a camp-able setting.

When are you going? Your success may depend on your timing.

A word about crowds: you will find them. Look for those who appear as out-of-place as you do. That's your spot. No offense, but it's for your own good. Smile, be respectful, and you'll have a blast. Maybe watch Point Break a few more times before your trip. North Shore if you think you can handle it:) Post some pics when you return.

Oh, and if you can spend a few weeks in a pool before you go you'll dramatically up your stoke meter. Your body will thank you.

^^^miles of beach to work with there. Nothing spectacular, but should be loads of fun. Expect weekends to be busy. Might get bored there after a few days. I'd recommend exploring SD over LA if you get antsy.

May is kind of anyone's guess in terms of swell. May get lucky, may not. The marine layer might be in full effect by then, which is kind of cool. Get on it early before the wind goes onshore.

I grew up surfing and still short board to this day. As a matter of fact, it's my main form of working out! I call it "Hydro Therapy" :lol:

I surf mainly up in the Santa Barbara area because that's where I live. I have not done much surfing down in San Diego, but there are TONS of good places down there. You should check out the sit http://www.wannasurf.com/. It list's all the Major surf sites out there and will help you hone in on where you want to go.

Here are a few pics to inspire you. ;)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7446/13107718095_3cbc569ca4_c.jpg

C-Street in Ventura

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3776/13107876443_5b2fcaae3f_c.jpg

Jalama

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3685/13108037154_80ccfb18ee_c.jpg

Rincon Point

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7326/13108021044_04d3a899ac_c.jpg

Small Jalama

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I would just be aware that not all breaks are going to be free to surf. What I mean is, be aware that some areas are guarded by locals and they don't really like other people in "their" area. Having said that there are great breaks all up and down SD coastline. If you explore you might find a mild one that's open.

Where you from in Collie BraddA ? I lived there for two years and just moved back to my hometown in New Orleans.

I split my time between Basalt and Boulder right now. I'd like to be back in the mountains full-time, but school's got me living in Boulder and commuting to play. I only have another few years in me, then I'll move back to the beach. Life's just easier on the water:)

I would just be aware that not all breaks are going to be free to surf. What I mean is, be aware that some areas are guarded by locals and they don't really like other people in "their" area. Having said that there are great breaks all up and down SD coastline. If you explore you might find a mild one that's open.

This is very true.

OP, if you are a beginner try to stick to beginner spots. Wanna Surf will be a good general guide to what is a beginner spot and what is an advanced spot. If you are good, you can paddle out to some of the localized spots. Just give respect and room to the locals you will be fine. I have surfed plenty of "localized" spots out of my area and been fine. It's all about attitude, being cool and knowing your place in the line up. Last but not least, have fun! :)

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Archived