LegacyGT.com

Boost Controllers and YOU! MBC's and EBCS

cryo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phillywilly-

Almost all EBCS's on the market have you remove the restrictor pill because of how it operates.

You will be running new lines to the turbo and WG so its not a big deal anyway.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

Yup you will need to run one line strait to the wastegate,one to the turbo nipple and one to the turbo inlet.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

I am trying to put something cool together and was hoping any customer tuned by Cryotune Performance could help out.

I would like to get the nicest picture you have of your car sent to Cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com.

I Know some of you have sent pic's already so that's not needed unless you have an updated picture that looks more professional or a better back drop. These could include pictures on the road/dyno/mountains/park/ etc.

Thanks and hope to get quite a few together

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Quick question. I'm running Grimmspeed hybrid boost control with a Tial MRV EWG. I have a the springs in the EWG at 14.5 psi and I'm just beginning to retune boost. My BCS is all the way open so technically, I should be seeing peak boost of around 14.5psi. However, I'm seeing peak boost at about 15.5-16 psi. Could this be an issue with the MBC, or are the springs not always accurate?

The weather can affect your MBC spring (and therefore, your boost), so a tweak here and there is necessary to keep things in a tight range. When I ran an MBC on my WRX, I would have to adjust every Winter and Spring, or boost might vary up to a couple PSI. That much is easily enough to knock your tune out of shape...
LW's spec. B / YT / IG

I'm suggesting that the "mechanical limit," as you put it, of a spring can be affected by temperature. Colder temps make metals more brittle, thereby increasing the rate. Warmer temps do the opposite. I saw this firsthand with my setup, but I was only using an MBC, not a hybrid setup.
LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess that's not a bad idea, might do that as well.

I always suggest an upgraded pump when the injectors OR turbo are upgraded. Anytime more fuel is going to be needed I would rather see a newer high flow pump in place....you have to figure that some of these cars such as yours are now driving on a 10 year old pump and you will be pushing it as well.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Just figured I would answer a question I get asked quite often.

What is the difference between the grimmspeed EBCS and the Cobb EBCS........

And the answer is......nothing. They both use MAC valves that operate the same. This happens to be the same valve used on the AEM controller as well.

That means if you like GS go with GS, If you like Cobb, go with cobb.

Hope this helps.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 8 months later...

Glad people are still finding this useful.

I still cruise the forums very often, just don't post much unless I have something of benefit that's not easily answered by some of our veteran forum members.

Have a great day!

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of the hybrid approach, but it costs an extra hundred or so for a good MBC, and for someone who is paying a tuner the advantages are negligible.

But as a DIYer who swapped parts a lot and was constantly tinkering with stuff and checking my work, the hybrid setup was great. The WGDC table becomes trivial. After that I could dial in any boost level I wanted, very repeatably, just by turning the knob. Without any of the PTFB annoyance that comes from using an MBC by itself.

So after making a hardware change I'd turn the MBC down to minimum (whatever the wastegate spring provides) and then tune fuel and timing (usually just timing) then turn up the boost a couple psi and tune again, and repeat until I was at max boost. It was nice being able to cover everything from wastegate to max boost one step at a time without ever touching the boost tables. I'll go through the same process again with my new motor once it is ready.

I had a post-it note that told me how many turns of the knob gave me what psi and what load. If I got suspicious about knock at some particular rpm/load, I could just turn the knob to hit that load in WOT pulls.

I did a wiki page about it at RomRaider, here:

http://www.romraider.com/RomRaider/BoostTuningMadeEasy

You could do the same things with a BCS alone if you save copies of the WGDC tables for each boost level you want to test/tune, and swap them when you want to test different boost levels, but that's extra hassle. It was a hundred bucks well spent IMO.

But for someone who does upgrades, gets tuned, and then just enjoys their car, it'd just be a hundred bucks wasted.

• 5 months later...

Archived