LegacyGT.com

Second Generation USDM Legacy Engines.

• 7 months later...

Ive been reading several forums regarding hybrid/frankenmotor, figured I'd give it a try.

I have a 1998 Legacy GT Shwagon EJ25D AT the motor runs fine but has a slight piston slap when cold (just let it warm up before driving) however its time to consider a rebuild.

My plan is to use the 98 EJ25 short block, 95 2.2 single cam heads w EGR, and 97 or newer 2.2 intake manifold. I understand what gaskets and timing belt to use.

My other option is A 96 2.2 block with the 25D heads and intake slap a TD04 on the stock 98 EJ25D ECU at 10psi.

Will either of these setups work? keep in mind I'm on a budget

• 7 months later...

Hey guys i have the black sheep 95 obd2 legacy with the dual port heads and just want to confirm that my chambers are the same size as the 96+ single port heads before i go source a 25d shortblock. Dont want to wind up with wild compression from smaller chambers

Thinking i can pull a shortblock and rebuild it before i swap it in since my heads were done 10k ago

Edited by 93ej22

• 4 months later...
Hey guys i have the black sheep 95 obd2 legacy with the dual port heads and just want to confirm that my chambers are the same size as the 96+ single port heads before i go source a 25d shortblock. Dont want to wind up with wild compression from smaller chambers

Thinking i can pull a shortblock and rebuild it before i swap it in since my heads were done 10k ago

Yes, they are the same.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello im new to this so here goes i have a 1994 legacy with the ej22t its no good oky i was givin a 2000 forester with the ej25 can i put the 2.5 in my legacy and splice the one connector thats is diffrent any thoughts would be helpfull thank u

You cannot. The Forester that engine came from has completely different wiring, cam triggers, and ECU. And it would be ill-advised to put your cylinder heads on the Forester bottom end without a fair bit of head work so the engine doesn't grenade. What you CAN do is find 97-99 EJ25D heads, pull your wiring, sensors, IACV, and crank gear off your bad engine, and put all of the aforementioned on the EJ25D heads, in turn, putting the 25D heads and crank gear on the Forester bottom end to have a nice engine with plenty of power all over the rpm range.

Edited by DOHCEJ22E1

• 9 months later...

Update:

Any 1997-1999 EJ25D head/E2221/2/3 block hybrid MUST be run on 89 octane unless using an EJ22T head gasket, in which case, running 87 is perfectly fine.

Any 1997-1999 EJ25D head/EJ221/2/3 block must be run on 89+ unless using stock Ej25D head gasket, in which case, running 87 is perfectly fine.

• 4 months later...
My question is taking a ej251 and slapping 96 ej25d heads on them. I have a lead on a ej251 shortblock in great shape and have 96 ej25d heads out of a 97 Gt that I have laying around. I heard the ej251 have better bottom ends just not sure if the heads will work or not

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello folks,

Thanks for allowing me to join the forum. Asking about a timing belt fit.

Please someone tell me if the timing belt used on the 2.0 JDM compatible with that used on the American domestic version. 2.2 or 2.5.

I have this in my ebay cart.

Timing Belt Water Pump Kit For Subaru Legacy 1997-1999 2.5L 2458CC H4 GAS DOHC

Thanks.