LegacyGT.com

Cruise control stops, Check engine light and Sport mode light flashes.... its random?

Re: Cruise control stops, Check engine light and Sport mode light flashes.... its random?

On day two of a 2-day 1,500mi road trip while using the cruise control all day, suddenly the CC stopped working, (engine continued to run fine) the check engine light illuminated and the dash Sport Mode light started to flash. Again the 2.5 turbo didn't miss a beat.

Total mileage is 87,000 or so... and we're the owner since new.

Stopped the OB XT looking over the engine bay/transmission area but nothing seemed out of place.... continued driving without CC at 85mph (eastern Colorado) for another 500 miles. Ended the road trip in Vail and the next day when starting/using the OB XT all was good...Go figure? Two weeks later on the return road trip to ATL this loss of cruise control/check engine light flash condition happened again... We continued to drive the remainder of 700 miles until home in ATL. The OB XT is parked in the garage and the error mode condition is constant.

Any clues? a micro switch at the automatic gearbox shift lever? From Normal shift lever position to Sport shift lever position? Is there such a micro switch? I dunno, the cause seems simple, why I dunno....just a guess. Any clues?

PS., The JDM Bilstein BTS suspension upgrade was nice on this fast track, 80-90mp, two day road trip. The excruciatingly floppy under-damped OEM suspension arrangement is a distant past....

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

It's probably the ECU throwing a cel code.

For some strange reason, Subaru decided that when a code is logged cruise is disabled.

I have had a code on my XT for a few months (tumbler valves), car still drives fine but I have the check engine light on and flashing cruise.

Check if you have a cel code logged - you can either use a reader plugged into the OBDII port under the dash or I think there is some procedure you can follow (search the forums) to read the codes without an external reader.

Edited to say - my code started out as random also, it cleared itself a couple of times and other times i would clear it with a OBDII reader. Now it just comes back on straight away. I am just tolerating it until I get exchange heads with the TGV delete mod to remove the whole crappy system.

Edited by Corsaro

Hey Corsaro - Thanks.

Bingo, discovered and cleared a ECU fault code for the "transmission shift module".

I'll have to locate the Transmission Shift Module, maybe strapped ?? to the 5sp Aisin (Toyota Mfr.)...

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• 6 years later...
I have the same issue. (2007 4spd 2.5i sedan) As soon as I used tiptronic sport shift mode, I got a CEL and my cruise control light popped on. I forget what the code was but clearing it or disconnecting the battery always gets rid of it. It’s driving me crazy though so i’d like to figure out the issue. Edited by patdannhauer