LegacyGT.com

Official 3.6R Mod List

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172482&d=1389916158

Hey Guys,

As G has been telling you, I had the pleasure of working with his 3.6R today at the shop. It's been a long time coming as he has been asking me to calibrate his 3.6r for the better part of a year. Finally the good folks over on the RomRaider boards have defined the hex and created the XML for the 2011 3.6R, So today I got a chance to work with it.

The results were pretty impressive. G's car base lined on the uncorrected ECS Mustang Dyno at 190WHP and 228WTQ. The final results of the calibration were 220WHP and 267WTQ. The delta there was very impressive for just a cat-back exhaust and tune. That is 30 WHP and 39WTQ gained!

A few things that I felt note worthy for the more tech savvy folks.

The majority of the gains were had by spending a few hours in the variable intake and exhaust cam timing. As shown above the low end torque increase was pretty substantial, while minimizing the taper off after peak torque is reached.

After getting the fuel dialed in to 12.2:1 AFR, I was only able to achieve an extra 1.5 degrees of ignition advance to red line before it wanted to ping. No matter if I ran the car at 11.5 or 12.5:1 AFR it would ping with anything more than 1.5 degrees. So onto optimizing the ignition curves I went from there, in order to get that nice smooth power delivery one would expect form a pro tune.

With that said, It was apparent that to pick up any more than 30 hp to red line, these vehicles will need to be equipped with a better flowing air intake, as well as a header to really help the motor breath, and pick up additional mid range torque.

All in all, I was extremely happy with the results I achieved for G today!

If anyone has any specific questions for me, just ask!

-Paul @ ECS

Edited by ECS Performance

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perscitus, are you talking about more air with a stock map or more air with a tune? I'm curious if I should just ditch my original plan doing takeda "as intended" and just do the HKS funnel in addition to the takeda setup for a dyno run?
Paul explained it much better than I did, but I meant more air with a tune. As in, with our engines, we could use more air to be able to make more power.

The stock intake (even with a drop-in AEM and HKS funnel) doesn't seem to provide enough for a tuner to dial-in slightly more aggressive settings that would give more power.

aFe quotes a 15% flow improvement. It will be interesting to see if that's enough to give some meaningful mid-range torque and top-end power.

Would be great if we could get some fabricated intake manifolds or exhaust headers but I think the chances of that are slim to none ;(

Great to see we have this ROMRaider/OpenFlash option now.

Might just work for all 3.6Rs from early 2010s to most recent 2014s.

^^^ will someone more talented than I start a romraider thread with all necessary information?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Just realized that none of this matters to me, since I'm most likely going to need an EcuTek tuner to unlock my ECU and remove the tune before I can even consider this option. Talking about learning about tuning the hard way!

Buuump for a write up with all the hexawhatever and anything else we need.

Someone please....

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Agreed! Figured this thread would be blowing up by now.

Nope...I'm gatekeeping the first thread. The rest is a free-for-all.

Bump...we need a write-up.

Awesome...congrats!

First page updated to link some brake suggestions by Minuccims

updated first post with my intake comparison and ItalianLegacy's open source tune.

Evening all. Jeesh, I made that definition nearly 2 years ago after Airboy requested, welcome to the party guys ;)

In all seriousness, post up any other H6 roms and I'll define them with pleasure - they do tend to differ, albeit mildly, from region to region, and year to year.

Also, Giovanni mentioned that Paul @ ECS Performance was looking for additional tables on the definition - Paul, let me know what you need (and if it's sensitive, i.e. alludes to your tuning approach, just PM me). From what I've seen, there is only so much you can do with the tune on the NA platform, predominantly ignition advance and cam timing, before you need to upgrade hardware. None the less - let me know - I've already pulled out the per gear torque limits, AF3 limits, low pulse width comps, fuel pump duty tables amongst others - but most of these are about driveability, not power.

Incidentally, you already have two Romraider heavyweights on here, both Legacy owners - NSFW and DSchultz.

Hey Td_d, thanks for joining and chipping in!

Your definitions from that time have already helped us a great deal!

ItalianLegacy's car with Paul's help is a 'living' testament.

What's the best way for us to provide you with roms off our cars?

How can we pull them? Say off of a 2010, 2012 and 2013/4 3.6R?

Hey Td_d, thanks for joining and chipping in!

Your definitions from that time have already helped us a great deal!

ItalianLegacy's car with Paul's help is a 'living' testament.

What's the best way for us to provide you with roms off our cars?

How can we pull them? Say off of a 2010, 2012 and 2013/4 3.6R?

Need to borrow my '12 for this?

Well, according to an email I just received from Visconti (thanks Perscitus!) us Ecutek guys can unlock our ECUs by simply using the Ecutek cables to flash back to stock. Then I can flash the open source tune if I decide to go that route. I'm very happy to hear this, but it goes completely against what I have read about Ecutek in other forums. :spin: