LegacyGT.com

Subaru R1

PhilT

Quote:

"Rumour has it that the success of the Smart car here in Canada has prompted SCI into bringing the R1 to Canada with possibly a diesel variant or a 1.6L gas engine.

It's kinda cute with it's fender flares, Subie/Alpha family front end, Tribeca-ish side bulges and pararamic roof."

http://carview.r3h.net/images.carview.co.jp/carlife/images/UserCarPhoto/88838/P6.jpg

looks like a mini turd...

I don't think smart cars will make it in America anytime soon. If they're not in NYC or SF, they certainly won't make it in fly-over country.

A mini turd ??? This thing has got to weigh at least 1,500 lbs, how big do they have to get before you class them as full size :lol:

Seriously, I heard Smart cars were selling like hot cakes in the US, as they are here :

www.smartcarofamerica.com

If it has AWD I would seriously consider getting one................for the wife !

• 3 weeks later...

That car is very sexy...much better looking than the Tribeca...lots of style. I'd be all over it.

In Japan it is 2wd or AWD...give it a little more power and I think it'd be a hit, especially in commute cities. Let it be known GAS IS KILLING ME!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

it would be sick at AWD & add a 20G turbo on this bad boy to put down 300 whp.. if the car does weigh something like 1500 lbs or so and add some wide tires and a wide body kit, lowered, it will spank at autox and even track events. Oh wait, I just described what an AWD Mini could be
Keefe

Man I remember seeing those little Smart cars when I was in Germany a few years ago. All I could think was, man if I was in my Dad's Yukon XL and I tapped that thing they would be sooooo dead. Small is great and all for gas milage and for parking, but for the size of vehicles on the road today its just too much of a risk.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Here is little FYI:

SOA exectutives are currently testing the R1 on the streets in and around New Jersey. They are thinking of using this car as a entry level / high MPG vehicle. It would also lower ther EPA Fuel Economy Fleet rating. So those of you that are not to keen on them, I would imagine you might however be interested in a turbocharged H6 setting in a Legacy. In order for that to happen SOA must first induce a high MPG vehicle to counter-weight a very high performance gas hog. This is due to the very stringent regulations that EPA imposes on automakers. SOA is aware of the market for a high performance luxury sedan. They read these forums on a regular basis to see trends and consumer needs.

Honestly, the R1 would make a great daily commuter for people that have long commutes and would not utilize anything larger than a 2-seater(2+2) on a commuting basis. I have also heard talk of a possible 4-door version in the works. At 53 MPG, Subaru could really help their image, as well as, put together a great strategy to expand their line-up.

If it will hasten Subaru's advent of the >$100k Twin Turbo Flat-6 AWD street car, then, BRING IT ON!!!

And Subaru Global or SOA is reading this... look for my screen name on these forums. I've got plenty of ideas... PM me with any questions or product planning job offers!

Give me a job with decent pay and watch how fast my plans change from planning for to actually buying your products :D Hopefully with my plans, others would start buying too!

Archived