LegacyGT.com

Gex's 2005 RBP Wagon

Gex

Well it's mostly plumbed up. Putting the intake manifold on was about as much fun as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Was really hoping I could get away with reusing the Venair BPVhose but that does not look like it's going to happen as it is too long and bends in the wrong places. Ohh well.

24037409855_ce45d5a8b6_z_d.jpg

Just wait till you try to put the TMIC on over that turbo coolant return pipe ;)
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Just wait till you try to put the TMIC on over that turbo coolant return pipe ;)

Good grief! You weren't kidding. This was such a poor poor decision on the swap. So much "are you ******* kidding me". Should have gone either 2.4" or brotated.

So ahh... What did you do to get around this? The pipe looks like it is just banjo bolted on. Do they make a different line? Custom line? Also what did you do with the heat shield/knock sensor/terminal 2 connector holder on the transmission? I have an intercooler mount that goes there but I don't want to lose the plug mounts. My plan was just to hack up the legacy mount enough to fit the plug mount and the intercooler mount.

23759393390_551f1b020a_z_d.jpg

23428292703_ec1c62181f_z_d.jpg

Why not have gone with the grimmspeed legacy tmic with the adapter to run "STi style" turbos?

Because STI intake manifold with STI throttle body. Plus I think it'd be even worse with the wrx/LGT Grimmspeed unit. That core hangs way over the turbo.

Good grief! You weren't kidding. This was such a poor poor decision on the swap. So much "are you ******* kidding me". Should have gone either 2.4" or brotated.

So ahh... What did you do to get around this? The pipe looks like it is just banjo bolted on. Do they make a different line? Custom line? Also what did you do with the heat shield/knock sensor/terminal 2 connector holder on the transmission? I have an intercooler mount that goes there but I don't want to lose the plug mounts. My plan was just to hack up the legacy mount enough to fit the plug mount and the intercooler mount.

This is one reason I chose the 2.4" inlet version. ;)

I just bent my hard pipe down and more out of the way. With more time I'd replicate the setup ATP uses on their stock location Garrett turbos. They sell the parts individually. You could probably cobble the same thing up at a hydraulics hardware supplier.

I'm using a modified GDB intercooler bracket and have no issues with the knock sensor or turbo heat shield. You can see my complete recipe on the STI manifold swap write-up thread. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5278764

Why not have gone with the grimmspeed legacy tmic with the adapter to run "STi style" turbos?

Because extra meter of hose and 4 90* bends?

Sent from a device using some software.

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I just gave it a little shimmy out of the way.

24059568395_d3c5c04f74_z_d.jpg

Everything is plumbed in. I decided to just remove the legacy transmission bracket and zip tie the t2 connector to install the STI topmount intercooler bracket. I need to put the intake and downpipe on. Then it's change the oil and make whoosh noises. Stoked.

23763884650_7c1d71b5b9_z_d.jpg

It looks like you gained some space with the GS cooler vs. the stock GRB item, and the angle on your coolant header tank is different too. Lucky!

Which fuel rails did you use btw?

I had good results using the GRB per-injector compensation tables as a base while tuning. You've probably thought of this already but the STi manifold has slightly more even flow through the four branches than the plastic one. The tables basically compensate fueling for VE changes through each branch by engine speed and MRP (mostly in vacuum). It's therefore easier to tune the MAF and Engine Load Compensation tables if you use the STi per-injector tables.

• 2 weeks later...

The wagon was tuned today. I am very pleased with the results and with the decision to swap in this turbo and intake manifold. Car pulls like a freight train with excellent driveability. Pretty fun and a very noticeable bump in power from the previous VF52 setup.

23915066509_0305f690e6_b.jpg

24200368921_29134d1d83_b.jpg

24200368781_385f4014a6_b.jpg

24200368471_615af4fc4c_b.jpg

23654897454_8010260d0d_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Hey All,

My name is Ben and this is my 2005 LGT Wagon. Thought I would stay stock. That didn't happen. Car was built in the style of a German estate wagon. Great for cruising and serious when it needs to be. Nothing super over the top. I love it!.

Just like BMB, what is with these "nothing over the top" statements as you go insane with your builds?

Not over the top. IE still a street car! No gutted interior, roll cage, gaudy wheels, slammed, streched, flared, etc... Just a fun,clean,quick car, that can take a family of four and the dog on a trip while not being a shitbox CUV or horrible box on frame SUV.

• 4 months later...
Not over the top. IE still a street car! No gutted interior, roll cage, gaudy wheels, slammed, streched, flared, etc... Just a fun,clean,quick car, that can take a family of four and the dog on a trip while not being a shitbox CUV or horrible box on frame SUV.

And it does so in style.

Very nice looking ride Gex.

• 4 months later...
what HP/TQ did you put down on the 1.5xtr. Im putting one on in the spring. 93 and E85 tunes

Love that first pic with the silver wheels. :)

From the first post:

Tuned via Accessport pro tune (Outback auto) PIA Tacoma 361hp/357tq at 17psi Mustang Dyno

The car is currently making/made 360hp/350 torque at 17psi on 92 octane. Mustang dyno. The car spun close to 400 wheel at 21psi on 92 but I don't run it. I am planning to do 1300cc injectors and the flex fuel kit very soon on a built bottom end. Corn Juice!

Also I got a new to me SWP 5sp LGT wagon. 127k miles,1 owner, clean running gear. Stage 2 on Koni/swifts, cobb sways, whiteline rck and anti lift kit, Cobb sts, etc... This one is getting the blue wagons motor. Needs a good cleaning.

30674877105_453b84d89c_z_d.jpg

30674874245_543bb718b1_z_d.jpg

30674873025_36260554a8_z_d.jpg

PAUSE! Flex fuel? What flex fuel? I want it!

The only flex fuel I know of for our cars is the delicious tuning kit. Unless because Gex has the STi intake manifold he can run the Cobb flex fuel kit on his LGT.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

The only flex fuel I know of for our cars is the delicious tuning kit. Unless because Gex has the STi intake manifold he can run the Cobb flex fuel kit on his LGT.

He does have an Sti intake manifold, it's a pretty badass setup as is. Looking forward to seeing it in its new form!

The car is currently making/made 360hp/350 torque at 17psi on 92 octane. Mustang dyno. The car spun close to 400 wheel at 21psi on 92 but I don't run it. I am planning to do 1300cc injectors and the flex fuel kit very soon on a built bottom end. Corn Juice!

Also I got a new to me SWP 5sp LGT wagon. 127k miles,1 owner, clean running gear. Stage 2 on Koni/swifts, cobb sways, whiteline rck and anti lift kit, Cobb sts, etc... This one is getting the blue wagons motor. Needs a good cleaning.

30674877105_453b84d89c_z_d.jpg

30674874245_543bb718b1_z_d.jpg

30674873025_36260554a8_z_d.jpg

I miss my white wagon :(

Trade for red one? ;)

I could suck start a snow blower.

The ECU is the hold up on the Cobb kit, not the hard parts. Must be the Delicious kit then.

'03 Forester X 5mt - Engine Seized at 262k miles.

'05 LGT Wagon 6mt -MotoIQ.com Project Vehicle

'13 VW Touareg TDI - Daily Torque Monster.