LegacyGT.com

Rear camera input on 5th-Gen HUs w/ 4.3" screen (PE627U1, PE658U1, PE438L1, PE669U1)

SVXdc

Thanks for responding, DrD123, I noticed after posting that Pin 15 was missing too...offset all my counting. :)

Last dumb question, What gauge wire are you using for this? jgrush's most is using CAT cable which is typically 24AWG or smaller. Is that sufficient long term, I would be worried about the over heating in the long run.

Edited by 14subi
typos

I have a 2012 Legacy Premium with CE617U1 radio and want to add a back-up camera. I saw on a local Subie forum the PE669U1 radio that I could pick up cheap.

I understand that the PE6xxU1 models (with 4.3" display) use completely different harnesses than the CE617U1. I have emailed and PM'd SVXdc, but haven’t heard back from him…does anyone know of someone else that makes these harnesses as I really want to retain my Bluetooth and the steering wheel controls.

Also, do I need any special harness to add the back-up camera? And will any back-up camera work or do I have to purchase the OEM Subaru version?

My 13 Legacy Sport came with the same radio as yours and the connections ARE completely different from the PE627 and other radios with the screen. I made a little adapter harness so I did not have to cut and splice anything. I will see if I can gather together information about where I got plugs and sockets, etc., and take a few pictures of the harness.

In addition to the adapter harness, I cut a hole for, and installed the OEM camera, and swapped in the trunk harness that included the camera connection, plus extended the camera wiring from the passenger footwell to the adapter harness on the back of the radio.

Despite someone's concerns that the four feet of cat5e wiring may not be up to it, the camera has been working flawlessly for over 2yrs.

In addition to the harness, the antenna connections are different. An adapter is available so again, no cutting and splicing. I have gotten the steering wheel controls only partly working. The volume, track, mode controls work but the lower controls do not - at least so far - seems to be just one wire mis-connected. Unfortunately you need those controls to pair anything with bluetooth.

Some photos. I am having trouble figuring out where I got the plugs and jacks. Here is the harness I made both by itself and attached to the PE627 radio. There is a pair of connectors in the adapter (several unused wires are visible on each connector) that break out the speaker wires. This would allow adding an amplifier without cutting any wires in the car's harness.

The 'diversity' antenna connection requires two pairs of adapters. These replace a 15 inch long 'pigtail' used in the original radio installation that goes down to a connector inside the console below where the radio mounts. Follow the antenna leads down to where you see them enter a connector and take that pigtail off. The two pairs of adapters get you each of the two weird ends (I think they are what Toyota uses to go to the harness end) one pair plugs into that connector below the radio and terminates in the big American style antenna connector.s The second pair of connectors plug to the American style connectors and end in the style that is used on the Panasonic PE227.

Photo 1) shows the six and ten pin connectors for the 627 radio

Photo 2) shows the whole harness with the 6 & 10 pin connectors away from you. Note that I could not find the 16?) pin socket to fit the car's harness so I modified a higher pin count socket to fit (note the red tape covering part of the socket)

Photo 3) shows the harness plugged into the PE627 radio The RJ45 is the connector for the camera leads

Photo 4) shows the American to PE 627 half of the antenna adapter pigtail. I believe I had to make this up of two separate adapter cables - each having come with only one cable but the double plug. I believe I had to move one connector to the other's plug to get this configuration.

Photo 5) shows another view of the whole adapter.

You can tell that one of the plugs came with pre-crimped black leads.

I am still trying to dig out where I got the individual plugs and sockets. I know some were on eBay, some were from Digikey.

1).thumb.jpg.656bdd6a6f5c1662723f99291259d2b5.jpg

2).thumb.jpg.666bdfba8b491526b55ac5a99f50f15e.jpg

3).thumb.jpg.5e14d7d27926f3dc3ffd4921c340b6de.jpg

4).thumb.jpg.98f59e1da26ae34232b21d6d9d70d5dd.jpg

5).thumb.jpg.78741b7b9c60c277eb2996fc9be2576c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
So I have a 2014 with PE669U1 HU and an OEM camera already in place. Without the help from SVXdc, is there any way for me to upgrade to a modern head unit and not have to rewire / replace the OEM backup camera? I’d like to upgrade to a Sony XAV-AX100.

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I have a 2013 PE658U1 and I grounded pin 8 and the lines would come up when I put the car in reverse.

So I was hooking up a camera last night and with the wires connected, I didn't have the backup wire connected and it hit a ground and shorted something out.

Now, when I put the car in reverse, the lines do not come up.

Does anyone know what could have blown or happened? Is there any way to reset what has happened or do I need to buy a used 2013 PE658U1 to put in the vehicle?

• 3 years later...

Sorry for bringing resurrecting this thread, but I got it in my head that I want to take a crack at this with my car.

Looks like I have the wiring needed in the middle harness as I have wires 6-9 on the R24 connector in my trunk. I have the camera-less trunk lid harness, so I’ll have to replace that. I pulled my radio out the other day and discovered I don’t have the wires at pins 8 and 11-14 at the connector on the back of the radio.

I saw something about there being a connector (R60?) in the passenger footwell, I’m guessing bridges the middle harness that runs from the trunk ceiling to the footwell to the harness that runs up to the radio. Anybody got a picture of that and could tell me where it is? I wonder if I’ve got camera wiring up to that point and could just add pins to the footwell side of the radio harness and run the four wires up to the back of the radio from there rather than from all the way in the back.

Also, can anybody point me toward a place where I can get pins for these connectors so I can add them to the i192 on the radio?

EDIT: Looking at more wiring diagrams, looks like there's the harness from the radio with i192 on the radio end, i154 on the other; there's some harness with R332 connecting to i154 and R24 on the other end connecting to the R60 at the front end of the harness that runs back to the trunk, with two of the wires tied to another harness that runs to ground.

So, if I can carry pins 8-9 on R60 up to 11-14 i192 (matched properly, of course), I should be good. So, where the heck is R60...?

Edited by SchwarzeEwigkt
More info, typo.

Sorry for bringing resurrecting this thread, but I got it in my head that I want to take a crack at this with my car.

Looks like I have the wiring needed in the middle harness as I have wires 6-9 on the R24 connector in my trunk. I have the camera-less trunk lid harness, so I’ll have to replace that. I pulled my radio out the other day and discovered I don’t have the wires at pins 8 and 11-14 at the connector on the back of the radio.

I saw something about there being a connector (R60?) in the passenger footwell, I’m guessing bridges the middle harness that runs from the trunk ceiling to the footwell to the harness that runs up to the radio. Anybody got a picture of that and could tell me where it is? I wonder if I’ve got camera wiring up to that point and could just add pins to the footwell side of the radio harness and run the four wires up to the back of the radio from there rather than from all the way in the back.

Also, can anybody point me toward a place where I can get pins for these connectors so I can add them to the i192 on the radio?

EDIT: Looking at more wiring diagrams, looks like there's the harness from the radio with i192 on the radio end, i154 on the other; there's some harness with R332 connecting to i154 and R24 on the other end connecting to the R60 at the front end of the harness that runs back to the trunk, with two of the wires tied to another harness that runs to ground.

So, if I can carry pins 8-9 on R60 up to 11-14 i192 (matched properly, of course), I should be good. So, where the heck is R60...?

- -> I no longer have the car or photos. But I recall that I found the forward-most end of the harness from the camera by removing the passenger side trim panel - the panel down in the foot well just in front of the door. I removed that and also the doorway thresh hold trim and found the connector right there just below the front lower corner of the passenger door. The harness runs back along the thresh hold.

Hope this helps.

- -> I no longer have the car or photos. But I recall that I found the forward-most end of the harness from the camera by removing the passenger side trim panel - the panel down in the foot well just in front of the door. I removed that and also the doorway thresh hold trim and found the connector right there just below the front lower corner of the passenger door. The harness runs back along the thresh hold.

Hope this helps.

I’ll have to take a look over there when I’ve got some time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do if the original camera is broken on a Legacy BM/BR 2013? I’m thinking mostly that the original camera is pretty dated by now and also pretty expensive as a spare part. I guess there may be better modern aftermarket cameras to replace it with?

I have a wire all the way back. Are there any good cameras that can be attached (more or less) directly to that wire or will I need to route a new wire to the radio? I’d really like a better camera with better low light picture.

I have read most posts in this thread and googled a bit, but I’m still in need of a little help. All suggestions are appreciated :D

• 2 years later...

Hello all,

Please help with connection aftermarket camera to OEM nav, wanted to to ground pin 8 from 28 pin harness, but looks like im missing some pins. Any ideas ho to connect? Few photos of my nav.

20240301_194858.jpg

20240301_194818.jpg

20240301_194753.jpg

It doesn't look like there is anything on pin 8 for the MY14 NAV.  Ground is pin 6.  The NAV is already set up to take a camera, isn't it?  I would think the main problem would be that the OEM camera is 5V and many of the aftermarket ones are 12V, so you need a step up transformer to drive them (that's what I did on my old MY12)

• SVXdc changed the title to Rear camera input on 5th-Gen HUs w/ 4.3" screen (PE627U1, PE658U1, PE438L1, PE669U1)
On 3/1/2024 at 1:44 PM, Mark04 said:

Hello all,

Please help with connection aftermarket camera to OEM nav, wanted to to ground pin 8 from 28 pin harness, but looks like im missing some pins. Any ideas ho to connect? Few photos of my nav.

The information in this thread is strictly for the OEM Panasonic PExxx models (non navigation with the 4.3" video screen).

Your OEM navigation HU is made by Fujitsu Ten. Its rear camera input is via the 16-pin socket. The information I posted on my site here still applies: Subaru 16-pin rear camera operation

The only difference is that 2013-2014 Legacy/Outback models with the FT nav also use a pin on the 16-pin harness to pipe a signal from the car's Body Integrated Unit (BIU) into the HU to pin #4.

You should find that your car already provides the reverse gear signal on your 28-pin harness. You do not need to add any other wires to that harness.

I see in your picture that your car has a 16-pin harness with wires on the pins for the camera input. Are you replacing an OEM camera that has died? I can build a harness that passes through the parking brake and BIU signals from your car's 16-pin harness into the HU and has an RCA jack and 6V power lead for an aftermarket camera.

Also, fairly recently someone let me know that there are now vendors on eBay selling aftermarket replacements for OEM Subaru cameras that will connect to the car's harness in the trunk or tailgate. Those are much less expensive than the OEM cameras from Subaru.

• Thanks 1