LegacyGT.com

Rear camera input on 5th-Gen HUs w/ 4.3" screen (PE627U1, PE658U1, PE438L1, PE669U1)

SVXdc

That's so strange. I too have a 2012 model and it does not have the wires in the connectors or run to the back. I heard some early conversations about sunroof vs no sunroof and that the wiring harness may differ. I did have a sunroof 2012 with no wires prerun.
What was the build date for your car? mine was September (2011) - it's a 2.5GT limited, so it has the sunroof, etc. and does not have NAV. So pin 12 is the ground used for the camera, correct?

Hmm im going to have to pull my Hu out and also pull the carpet off the trunk to see if i have these. I wont be able to get to it for at least a week. Sorry

No need to pull any carpet to see the rear connector - if you feel along the "roof" of the trunk just inboard of the right side of the trunk opening, it's mounted there (the pic I took was done by just opening the trunk and leaning into it and looking up) - if the leads are there, they are on the bottom of the connector - if they aren't there, then the bottom row of the connector would be unpopulated.

maybe thats the difference... I have a 2012 Legacy Limited w/sunroof, but NON-GT.

Perhaps the harness was included in all of the GT's... Kinda funny considering the 2012's had the video option run to the rearview. Maybe it was planned differently for the gt's, and they preran a different harness to the HU....

In either case refer back to the 1st post from SVXdc.

Pin 8 connects to pin 12 (or ground) to enable the camera screen.

That should immediately let you see the backup screen if you put the car in reverse with the car on

refer to this writeup for some pictures (NOT WIRING INFORMATION)

http://johnboice.com/bkupcam/

RydeenWiring-1.png.8728e28c8ff43b1edb0dc787a55bb22c.png

Pin 11 is 6vdc power for the camera (red lead hanging off the rydeen Miny video connector) RW3-3B in picture

Pin 13 is the camera ground/shield (the ring of the RCA style video connector) RW3-3A in picture

Pin 14 is the positive camera lead (the tip of the RCA style video connector) RW3-3A in picture

For everyone with the harnesses prewired in the trunk, you could just connect these leads right there!

Edited by jpotts

FYI,

I am looking to the do same thing with a 2013 Limited with a sunroof with a PE658U1. From my research so far, you need to replace the trunk harness with part# 81811AJ05A and get the factory backup camera part # 86267AJ11A. Both parts can be found for half the price online than at the dealer. I also verified after looking at wiring diagrams and at the plug where the trunk harness needs to be replaced that the four camera wires are at the car side of the plug and the non camera harness is missing the four wires. The four wires on the car side are the correct color and in the correct pin locations per the wiring diagram for the camera. The harness plug is visible when you open the trunk look inside of it on the right wall up high. You should see a tag around the trunk side of the harness that says #81811AJ00A and that is the NON CAMERA trunk harness. It appears to be a plug and play addition. It sounds like all you would have to do is run the ground jumper to enable the backup camera at the HU and then get the OEM camera harness and OEM camera and this would be a factory install. It would cost a few more dollars but would be a nice, clean install.

I just pulled the head unit out of my 2013 Legacy Limited and found out that I am missing the four camera wires on pins 11,12,13 & 14. I do however have the four camera wires on the car side of the trunk plug, I am just missing the four camera wires on the trunk lid harness. It is kind of odd that they ran the four camera wires through the car but did not hook them up to the 28 pin harness. That makes it so this is not quite so plug and play.

Where did you find information on the trunk lid harness? All of the parts sites don't seem to list the harnesses for current model cars.

I called my local parts dept and gave them the VIN number of a Legacy with a backup camera. I also gave them the VIN number of my Legacy which does not have a backup camera and the part numbers were different. The harness for the camera of course costs about $20 more. If you google the part number I provided you can find websites that sell it much cheaper then the dealer.

Someone had found this in the trunk and I have the same connector; I don't have the camera wiring harness or connector in my trunk lid. Could this be the connector that would connect to the wiring harness for the camera?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/extra-wire-harness-trunki-224225.html

that's a joint connector - there are a bunch of them throughout the car (used to tie multiple leads - usually several shields to a ground) - not a coaxial connection.

so has anyone looked to see how the OEM camera attaches to the trunk? does it bolt to the plastic trim, then feed though a wire into the trunk, or do you need to cut out a square in the trunk for it to snap into?

So the minimalist parts list for me is looking like the trunk cable, the camera, and then a wire/terminal to add a connection to ground at the head unit... (you can certainly get cheaper parts than OEM, but subarubucks make OEM parts free!)

David

Here are the pertinent connections that need to be made (indicated in red). Pin 8 must be grounded to tell the stereo it has a camera. 13 is grounded and that's the shield for the cable to the camera, 11, 12, and 14 are the connections for the camera itself (some combination of power and signal back to the head unit)

Do you have the vacation pics for the 2012? Only ones I have are from 2010 and don't show the i192 plug.

This has been talked about a few times before... I can't remember where though. That connector turned out to be for the taillights in the spoiler I think.

Definitely not for the spoiler. The spoiler connector is in the trunk lid and I've already used it for the quad-stoplight mod.

Checked mine today. Mine has the wires in the trunk and attached to the headunit. Does anyone know what the little white plug on the same harness is for?

[ATTACH]187477[/ATTACH]

Edit: nevermind i see its the camera plug. So to make sure I am correct, all I need is either the oem camera, hook it up to that plug and then ground pin 8 at the HU, or get an aftermarket camera, use pins 6-9 and also ground pin 8 at the HU?

Edited by Hepy117

Checked mine today. Mine has the wires in the trunk and attached to the headunit. Does anyone know what the little white plug on the same harness is for?

[ATTACH]187477[/ATTACH]

Apparently, that little white thing is a grounding bus, not a plug.

The i192 Connector contact sockets for the headunit are part number 1123343-1 and are dirt cheap from Digi-Key

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/1123343-1/A107011CT-ND/3488572

Wait!!!!!

I bought these from Mouser Part# 571-1123343-1. These are NOT the right connector for the socket. I thought they were. I crimped them all and tried fitting them in. They are too tall. Im thinking that they are Part# 1674311-1 because these are a little smaller. I ordered them, just havent seen them yet. Ill let you know what I find out.

JP