racing a Legacy Wagon the Pac NW 2014

Sgt.Gator

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you planning on the season opener at pir the last weekend of April?

No, I can't be there. Prior scheduled vacation before they announced the racing schedule. First event will be at the Ridge, May 9-10-11. See you there?

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

The LGT is still being fixed, but we got togther a team and ran our Acura Integra in the Star Projects "Rats of Spring" 8 hour enduro, and we won!:):):) It was a blast. We completed 196 laps in the counterclockwise direction at ORP, and won by 4 laps.

The best part is each driver on our Mountain Goat Racing Team got a prize check, free race driving is a very good deal!

CounterClockwise at ORP was VERY fun. Most of us got practice in on Saturday at the Test & Tune. I needed it. There are freaky scary blind corners at 80 mph unweighted! :eek: Cresting the top of Valkyrie Hill in CCW you have to start turning left while the track appears to be going straight over the hill. In reality to be on the racing line you better be turning before you go unweighted on the crest or you will have a heart attack on the other side!

Most of us feel ORP is the most technically challenging track in the US. If you can drive well there in both Clockwise and CCW, you can go to any other track and be confident in your ability. It's also the most fun!

The rules and entire process for Star Projects racing are much more relaxed than Chump Car or ICSCC Mini Enduro. If you have any desire to try your hand at racing they are happy to find a team for you that needs a driver, no racing license or car required. It's very helpful to have a few HPDE days under your belt, but again not required. The fields are much smaller than Chump Car so you can relax a little bit your first time out in a race car. In Chump you have cars passing you every few seconds, not in Star Projects, at least for now. I don't think there was a single incident of contact in the race. In Chump I've seen EVERY car in the field damaged at PIR in the rain at a night event.

You DO have to have a SFI rated drivers suit, gloves, shoes, socks, and helmet. And a HANS type device is not required, but highly recommended. Some or all of the stuff you might be able to borrow from a racer friend who isn't busy that weekend. There are even Rental companies for the gear now! http://www.racesuitrental.com/

More info here or feel free to contact me directly for a phone call about it: http://www.starprojectsevents.com/

:)

• 1 month later...

Update May 2014:

I've updated the build thread here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cool-article-05-scca-wagons-floating-around-still-73859.html

First race weekend will be at Spokane May 29 - June 1. If your' close by please stop in, the event is free for spectators. I may ask you to help me turn a wrench too.

Do you know what turbo is on the car? From the description I read it sounded like your wagon was still on the stock Vf40/46. I remember seeing a STI at the ICSCC races last year running the stock Vf43/48 but that is a higher flowing turbo then the 40/46. Keeping up with a Vette might be tough on the stocker.

Edit

Looking at the pictures and seeing as it has the sti manifold instead of the plastic lgt/wrx piece and how the turbo connects to the intercooler piping has me now believing it has a Vf43/48. Either that or a td04 (02-08 wrx turbo)

Gex, sorry for this extremely late reply, I just confirmed that it's a Forced Performance 18g, installed in 2007 when they converted the car from Grand-Am to Time Attack.

Super Production is an expensive class to be competitive in. Why there and not ST? ST is expensive enough!

ST is limited to 8inch wheels, 5mt transmission, open front diff, stock calipers and bearings. And no aero. Class min weight is close to 3700 lbs min. Spm is 10lbs/hp and has to mostly look stock.

Debating whether I can do a drivetrain swap and front clip swap in an hour so can race grp 1 and 4 on same day.

Regardless after a summer of lapping the wagon in its stock config I want something more outrageous to race. Still need to read up the "IT" specs for SCCA which is the governing ruleset for spm, actually spu, as the lgt motor comes out at 3996 not 4000.

Note: IT rules for SCCA specifically exclude turbo/super-charged cars. Bummer

Edited by boxkita
read the rule book

ST is limited to 8inch wheels, 5mt transmission, open front diff, stock calipers and bearings. And no aero. Class min weight is close to 3700 lbs min. Spm is 10lbs/hp and has to mostly look stock.

Debating whether I can do a drivetrain swap and front clip swap in an hour so can race grp 1 and 4 on same day.

Regardless after a summer of lapping the wagon in its stock config I want something more outrageous to race. Still need to read up the "IT" specs for SCCA which is the governing ruleset for spm, actually spu, as the lgt motor comes out at 3996 not 4000.

Note: IT rules for SCCA specifically exclude turbo/super-charged cars. Bummer

You are reading the wrong ST rules if you want to race in the ICSCC ST class. All of the issues you identified are not in the ICSCC ruleset. Our rules are simple, 10lbs/hp. Aero is very fair except the rule that the wing can't be above the roofline which only affects wagons/hatchbacks and I will try to change in 2015 to the SCCA/Nasa rules for ST that allow it for wagons. All the other stuff you mention are not in the ICSCC rules.

If you want to be in a faster class you could prep for NASA ST 3, or even ST2. You'd have to lose a lot of weight to be competitive, or gain a lot of HP, but then you could run both ICSCC ST and NASA ST3 or 2 by using different maps/boost settings.

NASA has a very cool ST class spreadsheet that calculates your class here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/racing/series/NASA_ST_Class_Calculator_2014_v1.xlsx

The problem with SPM/U in ICSCC is there really are no rules, anything goes. That means you may be racing against tube frame purpose built race cars with 1,000 HP. That gets very expensive.

Let's talk at the next race! I'm registered for Spokane and will be at all the rest too barring any new issues.

I won't be going to Spokane. but will come to the ridge and Pacific raceways events. I dont mind running against faster cars, just want as much drive time as I can get. 1000hp doesn't make you corner faster just gets you there quicker. I pass alot of ppl in corners. ;)

At any rate, love to chat and find a workable solution.

• 2 weeks later...

First track day in Spokane, I survived! I've updated the other thread (in the 4th gen forum) with latest pics in the track paddock.

Racing Friday-Saturday-Sunday, triple header.

And it turns out the races are going to be televised locally. Don't know what station.

Its also air show weekend here at Fairchild AFB, the Thunderbirds come right over the track in their F-16s while practicing.

If you're local come by the track and hang out. It's no cost for spectators and crew.

• 2 weeks later...

On the way to Pacific Raceways for this weekend's racing. As always the ICSCC encourages spectators, no admission fees.

Come by the paddock and say hello. I'm easy to find, it's a bright red enclosed trailer and red tent awning, and the only LGT Wagon there! Who knows, I may need help replacing (insert any part of car you can think of)....

:D

On the way to Pacific Raceways for this weekend's racing. As always the ICSCC encourages spectators, no admission fees.

Come by the paddock and say hello. I'm easy to find, it's a bright red enclosed trailer and red tent awning, and the only LGT Wagon there! Who knows, I may need help replacing (insert any part of car you can think of)....

:D

I have several parts that need replacing. I'll bring them along so you can replace them. :-)

LOL!

For anyone coming out I'll be racing in the Group 4 schedule + the Enduro:

Saturday:

11:10- 11:25 AM Qualifying

12:25 - 12:45 Driver's Meeting

3:40 - 4:00 PM No Points Race

4:50 - 5:50 PM Enduro

6:15 PM, Car Tender sponsored party

Sunday:

11:20 AM -11:37 AM Qualifying

11:50 - 12:20 Driver's Meeting

4:05 - 4:35 PM Race

These times aren't in stone...if there's an on track problem it can delay the times a lot.

I will be around the paddock or working on the Legacy in between, or possibly up in the stands watching one of the other groups. If I'm not at the car i will be within 30 minutes. there's lots of other cars to check out too. There will be at least one highly modified STi there that runs in my ST class. The other STi spun a bearing at Spokane, not sure if he will be here.

Hope to meet some of ya'll in real life!

It was great meeting ya'll at the track! Hope to see more of you at PIR next weekend. I'll post the schedule shortly.

I've updated the main race thread with the in car video from Pacific Raceways, here's the post: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4852921&postcount=82

Thanks for your support!

It was great meeting ya'll at the track! Hope to see more of you at PIR next weekend. I'll post the schedule shortly.

I've updated the main race thread with the in car video from Pacific Raceways, here's the post: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4852921&postcount=82

Thanks for your support!

Never ended up finding you or the car! Hopefully this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never ended up finding you or the car! Hopefully this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL< sorry about that. It was a large field 220 or 250 cars in the paddock...See you next time!

Next Race: Next Week at Portland International Raceway!

Practice and Qualifying on Saturday.

Round 2 Qualifying and Race on Sunday.

I will definitely arrive by Friday evening for the weekend events.

I could use a hand on my pit crew!!! I need someone to use take tire pyro temps as soon as I come off track and am waiting in the scales line. If I take temps back in the paddock, by the time I've had the car scaled the temps are meaningless. And lots of other stuff to do too. Admission for crew and spectators is free!

The Race weekend PDF is here:

http://www.icscc.com/2014/announce/cscc_june_annc.pdf

Hope to see the other Portland Metro LGT folks there!

Cleaned up the car for the racing this weekend. New brake pads on the fronts, CL RC6. I've had good luck with CL pads on my other cars, hoping they do well here too. If you've never heard of CL pads it's worth checking them out. I get mine at Essex.

The front tires are rubbing on the K-Sports coilovers. I am installing a 5mm spacer to solve that issue.

Enabled flat footing shifting in the Cobb Accessport, we'll see if I can get used to that!

Going to PSI in Portland on Friday for official Dynojet AWD certs at 14, 15, 16 psi. In anticipation of probably using the 15 psi map I'm pulling 90 lbs of ballast out of the car.

While I'm in Portland I'll go over to Cindi and Fred Lux's place to get a NASA Tech done. I'd like to go the Western Nationals in PTB/TTB this fall, if possible. http://www.cindilux.com/

If you're near PIR come by!