LegacyGT.com

Heated Seat Swap Wiring 05 GT into 02 Outback

Blackdog

All the older seat heater plugs (usually white or blue plastic plugs) on the seat side had three wires. Hot, Ground, Temp.

In 05 (i think) the first seats with multi level heat (not just high low) came out. On my 05 seats the plug going to the seat heater pads has four wires.

I am trying to confirm how to hook up those wires.

The factory wiring diagrams only go plug to plug. In other words I have not found a wiring diagram of the seat itself listing the color of the wires coming out of the seat side of the seat heater connecting plug or indicating how they run through the 2 heating pads and the thermo switch.

Each side has four wires

Left seat (i think)

Please confirm my assumptions below

White wire - heavier gauge I think this is power in.

Dark brown - heavier gauge I think this is the main ground.

Black/Red - lighter gauge I think this is power to the temp sender

Black/Red - lighter gauge I think the ground for the temp sender

I have checked with the dealer, searched many online blogs, tested the resistance with a multimeter and tried to test the wiring out of the car.

I am getting heat. But it is hard to tell how much. Has anyone figured this out?

I have tried to attach the 05 legacy wiring diagram. (but I am not seeing it) This shows the wiring from the switch plug but the wires on the seat side are a different color. On the diagram the internal seat wiring is not shown. It is a blank box. The older three wire plugs show which internal circuit connects to each terminal.

Edited by Blackdog
clairity

• 7 months later...
  • 6 years later...
you figure this out?

Great question!

I know I am coming to it late but...I am literally on the edge of my seat because I am right there in a similar project and have LOVED this site for all its assistance. Now I am staring at Black /White and Yellow seat wires wondering the same thing...!