LegacyGT.com

crazy speedometer

Hi guys! A while ago I was having problems with my speedo, I can be driving in the highway at a constant speed at any speed and the needle will jump to 0mph and stay like that for a while and then jump back up to the normal speed, so I found this vid [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEw6PF6ERuo]subaru speedometer not working - YouTube[/ame] do any of you guys ever had this problem? the other thing is will any other speedometer from fit the legacy you know plug and play? I don't like mine is too plain

Mine just doesn't move till i'm up to about 20 mph then it jumps up. I've just written it off as being old and slow lol. I've got other issues to worry about before I get around to it....so I've been trying not to think about it. Would be nice if it was something simple. So, i'll be watching this thread with some interest.

there is a known problem with the 99 speedo.

and the 99 speedo is a one year unit.

do a search for speedofix, or 99speedofix and read up.

it could also be loose mounting screws on the back side if the instrument cluster.

Well I hope it is, the weather has been crapy so I'm hoping to get a chance to find out soon what makes the speedo go cookoo for coco puffs. By the way no one has a clue if other speedos fit our legacy? I did some search but I only found how to change the lights on the speedo on the DIY section

:spin:I just plain don't like the way it looks, is too plain for me or I guess I got tired of it. Is no big deal I was just asking cause if I'm taking it apart I was going to install any other that fits from a newer model. Even the 1999 legacy b4 has a way way better gauges and even climate control....... Japan gave us the crapy version:spin: sorry guys for complaining

i think you should change/clean your speed sensor before you go ripping up the cluster..

but all second gen clusters (minus the '95's 140MPH speedo) are compatible with one another, you could even throw in an sti or other impreza cluster if you were so inclined... it wont fit 100%... the only issue aside from wiring merges would be the fact that its about 2" narrower

there is a known problem with the 99 speedo.

and the 99 speedo is a one year unit.

the 99 is different from the 95 - 98 speedos.

it is a one year unit only.

i think there is a different number of wires.

and since the 99 outback has a phase 2 auto trans,

it could / may have a different , 3 wire?, speed sensor.

but i don't really know for sure.

in 2000 they went digital.

the 99 is different from the 95 - 98 speedos.

it is a one year unit only.

i think there is a different number of wires.

and since the 99 outback has a phase 2 auto trans,

it could / may have a different , 3 wire?, speed sensor.

but i don't really know for sure.

in 2000 they went digital.

yep, i forgot about the phase 2 deal

Related subject- I was thinking of picking up a spare cluster for my '98 so I could mess with changing the lighting without messing up my present cluster. I saw a '96 cluster fairly cheap on Ebay- I assume everything would hookup properly and fit in my '98

So should any other 120MPH speedometer be compatible?

i don't really know.

i would stick with one from your model, GT.

i think the 97 GT was different than the 97 outback or the 97 L.

but i'm not sure.

so the only way to be sure is to get one from your year and your model.

have you looked on http://www.car-part.com

their interchange software database will not let you get one that does not work / fit.

sort by distance to see what is close.

and then sort by price to see what is cheap.

shipping will add to the price, but not very much.

Idk about you but I don't think is reading the gas right.

do any of them tho, really? neither of my fuel gauges are even remotely correct, except when i fill them. they will sit on the E for 100 miles before the low light comes on.

Archived