LegacyGT.com

Oil Leak on Passenger Side Head

Hello all! I am having an oil leak issue on the back side of the passenger side had, where the banjo bolt threads into the head, just before the turbo. I tried replacing the copper washers, but eventually caught a glimpse of a small imperfection on the mating surface where the washer should seal.

It's a small groove, pictured below. But it is enough to let oil squeeze between the bolt and head. My question is, should I try to file/sand the mating surface down to eliminate the imperfection, or try to fill it in with something? ( perhaps JB Weld :eek: )

I just bought a new reman shortblock and had a full head job done. I assembled and installed the new motor on Saturday night, and tore the passenger side head back off to fix an oil leak at the head gasket. I would prefer not to have to remove the head again, it wasn't exactly my idea of fun!

Thanks for the help, here are the pics

IMAG0839.thumb.jpg.12ed8f4d4afac914f78ecb6440163550.jpg

IMAG0840.thumb.jpg.b786c3987ec6e2f6baea4d2b994720e6.jpg

May try putting some corse sandpaper on a flat block and smooth it out. May be cut a file down and try a small piece if it.

It really should be re-machined...I understand the issue with that.

Good Luck.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just took a look at it again over lunch. I think that it looks a little deep to try sanding it. I'm gonna pull the turbo off for easier access, and I think try to fill the groove in with JB weld, then file that down a bit. I will post the results, i'll tear into it after work.

Sanding that little area down could make it worse, unless you're going to sand down the whole area around the bolt to make it level.

I would do the JB weld to fill in the gap, then lightly sand the area until it's flush.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Those are a odd size crush washer, you may have to order them from a on-line place. like Earls High Performance plumbing, may be Aero-Quip.

I have looked in the auto parts stores, but most of those copper gaskets are for brakes.

https://www.google.com/#q=aluminum+crush+washer

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sanding that little area down could make it worse, unless you're going to sand down the whole area around the bolt to make it level.

I would do the JB weld to fill in the gap, then lightly sand the area until it's flush.

I agree completely. I'll apply the JB weld first, then do my best to make the area level. I think that if I can get it close, the copper washer's crush will make up for a little but of wave on that sealing surface. We'll see I guess, if I can't pull a handyman job i'll just have to have it fixed professionally.

Archived