LegacyGT.com

Subaru tops new auto-braking tests

Picky1

Link to full story: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/post--subaru-tops-new-auto-braking-tests#scpshrjmd

For the first time, you'll actually be able to know just how good a car's electronic safety systems are in a real-life test.

The Insurance Institute of Highway Safety, a nonprofit testing group funded by insurance companies, has released performance results of auto-braking systems in 74 new cars from the 2013 and 2014 model years. These active safety systems, touted in advertisements and car reviews for their ability to brake the car autonomously to prevent a potential collision, have previously not been independently reviewed in a single test.

The new IIHS test scored cars based on how much speed they reduced in a series of simulated rear-end crashes with a dummy car, at both 12 mph and 25 mph. Depending on the speed reduction, cars were rated as "Superior," "Advanced" or "Basic." Of all cars, the Subaru Legacy and Outback outperformed every car, including much more expensive luxury cars like the Cadillac ATS and Mercedes-Benz C-Class, for their stopping power using the company's new EyeSight system, which mounts two cameras on the windshield to judge vehicle distances and trigger alerts. The Subaru models were the only cars tested that fully stopped the car from 25 mph. The ATS and C-Class, respectively, were still traveling at 10 mph and 8 mph and therefore would have hit the vehicle in front.

Pretty cool considering everyone knocks Subaru for using the "cheap" setup.

Then again, I'm sure this isn't the whole story. I wonder whether the other radar-based systems work better when it's raining/snowing/foggy? And which systems tend to give more false positives? This is a good start, but now I wanna know all the nitty-gritty details!

I almost wish I had opted for the Eyesight system now.

And I wish that they have offered it here, but the consumer protection laws here is a problem. Here it doesn't work just putting a sticker on the chainsaw to tell people not to grip the chain when the engine is running, you have to provide ample safety devices for it.

It will probably come in a few years.

453747.png

I can attest that the Eyesight system on my wagon has "saved" my bacon on 2 occasions... 1 of those appeared for all intents and purposes to be another motorist who intentionally brake checked me - perhaps for an insurance payday...

He seemed just as incredulous as me that I managed to avoid a collision... Thank you eyesight...

I can attest that the Eyesight system on my wagon has "saved" my bacon on 2 occasions... 1 of those appeared for all intents and purposes to be another motorist who intentionally brake checked me - perhaps for an insurance payday...

He seemed just as incredulous as me that I managed to avoid a collision... Thank you eyesight...

Sweet. Great to hear. Stories like that are fantastic.

The subaru system on the surface looks cheap, but it's more about execution though computer programs and brake systems than anything. Evidently Subaru hit a homerun. I would like to find out how sensitive/intrusive the program is. Does it force you to stay 100 yards back from a car or activate really early? Yeah it will stop a car going 25 mph straight into a vehicle at a dead stop, but what is the reaction time on lane change hazards and cars pulling out in front?

Supposedly cameras have less latency than radar as they don't have to check for false positives. The limitation of cameras are their lack of peripheral vision and susceptibility to weather and light.

Elon Musk has stated that the type of cameras Subaru uses are the future of autonomous driving. Mercedes has adopted similar tech in its latest E and S Class vehicles. It offers more features, but apparently doesn't work as well. If I'm not mistaken, they use radar and cameras together.

Subaru has been working on Eyesight for 20 years. I'm not surprised they've engineered a superior system.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sweet. Great to hear. Stories like that are fantastic.

The subaru system on the surface looks cheap, but it's more about execution though computer programs and brake systems than anything. Evidently Subaru hit a homerun. I would like to find out how sensitive/intrusive the program is. Does it force you to stay 100 yards back from a car or activate really early? Yeah it will stop a car going 25 mph straight into a vehicle at a dead stop, but what is the reaction time on lane change hazards and cars pulling out in front?

A lot of people at the Outback forum have said that if a car turns to the right off at an intersection or onto a road the EyeSight system will sometimes get confused because the car in front disappeared and then turn off after giving up. Not a 100% occurrence but it happens a lot apparently.

As far as being cut off, I haven't heard or seen any examples of what happens when EyeSight left on. The promotional videos only show what happens when the car in front of you gets cut off though.

A lot of people at the Outback forum have said that...

The first question is - do these owners have the original Eyegsight version or the 2.0 system introduce only introduced 18 months ago in Japan for the first time - - BIG difference in the two systems...

The newer system is much more intuitive - being able to distinguish between cars, pedestrians or bicycles for example... The 2.0 also makes for the integration of a very accurate and trustworthy intelligent cruise control system - too bad it is speed limited to 114 km/h or 70 mph...:mad:

I will say this as a caveat - the eyesight system has a HUGE affect on your loud peddle... It is VERY intrusive when wanting to go fast or accelerate quickly - - - way worse than any traction control system out there which is a good thing for your daily commute I suppose but not for "spirited" driving...

The solution to this is that you either turn the system off - which takes about 5 seconds - or hit the traction control defeat switch which "instantly" defeats both eyesight collision avoidance as well as lane departure...

If your looking to be a stoplight warrior or are planning on doing a pull for diagnostics / 0-60 run etc., - then don't forget to turn Eyesight off.......:spin:

The newer system is much more intuitive - being able to distinguish between cars, pedestrians or bicycles for example... The 2.0 also makes for the integration of a very accurate and trustworthy intelligent cruise control system - too bad it is speed limited to 114 km/h or 70 mph...:mad:

Which means that it's not going to be useful to have to avoid moose when out on the country roads here. Posted speed of 90km/h is something like a recommendation rather than actual law because the number of speed traps are very low.

640px-Moose_crossing_a_road.jpg

453747.png

The USDM spec' EyeSight "may" assist the driver in stopping by applying the brakes to lessen the force but at that speed difference it's highly unlike you should expect to completely and utterly "avoid" head on collisions in the first place.

The promotional information says that if the difference in speed between you and the car in front of you is more than 19 MPH, it can lessen the force of impact by applying the brakes. Most likely it can't avoid the accident with that moose all together since you're the driver, not EyeSight, traveling at such speeds. :rolleyes: It'll definitely try to slow down giving the moose a better chance at not becoming your dinner but it's your job to slow down in the first place.

However IIHS has already seen the EyeSight system bring a Subaru to a complete stop at up to speeds of 25 MPH which is kind of interesting (speed difference of 25 MPH). It's interesting because Subaru doesn't specific that as the range of speed difference where it will completely stop.

The first question is - do these owners have the original Eyegsight version or the 2.0 system introduce only introduced 18 months ago in Japan for the first time - - BIG difference in the two systems...

I will say this as a caveat - the eyesight system has a HUGE affect on your loud peddle... It is VERY intrusive when wanting to go fast or accelerate quickly - - - way worse than any traction control system out there which is a good thing for your daily commute I suppose but not for "spirited" driving...

The solution to this is that you either turn the system off - which takes about 5 seconds - or hit the traction control defeat switch which "instantly" defeats both eyesight collision avoidance as well as lane departure...

If your looking to be a stoplight warrior or are planning on doing a pull for diagnostics / 0-60 run etc., - then don't forget to turn Eyesight off.......:spin:

I thought it would be intrusive. Many of us follow too close and wait to slow down....and those are good drivers. As close as city drivers follow, we probably would be getting alerts all the time. Unfortunatley we need eyesight when were driving like that! :)

I thought it would be intrusive. Many of us follow too close and wait to slow down....and those are good drivers. As close as city drivers follow, we probably would be getting alerts all the time. Unfortunatley we need eyesight when were driving like that! :)

That's called tailgating. :rolleyes:

Another safety award for the Legacy & Outback: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/the-safest-2013-2014-model-year-cars

Each year, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety releases its list of Top Safety Picks — a coveted designation for automakers and a good indicator for crash-worthiness and overall safety for car buyers. The IIHS rates vehicles as being "good," "acceptable," "marginal" or "poor" across five test categories: moderate overlap frontal crash, small overlap frontal crash, side impact, rollover and rear impact. To qualify as a Top Safety Pick vehicles must have good ratings for occupant protection in the moderate overlap frontal test, side impact, rollover and rear tests, regardless of their small overlap rating. These 2013 and 2014 model-year vehicles are ranked as Top Safety Picks.

Subaru's commitment to safety is evident throughout its entire lineup, and its flagship sedan, the Legacy, stood out enough to earn a Top Safety Pick+ nod for models built after August 2012. Beyond Subaru's signature all-wheel-drive platform, the 2013 Legacy features a ring-shaped reinforcement frame, vehicle dynamic control and brake assist. In addition, Subaru's EyeSight system uses cameras to help avoid dangerous situations.

In Japan Eyesight 2 costs about $ 1,000 and that includes adaptive cruise control. auto-stop for non-turbos, passive lane departure...

The adaptive cruise is the big draw from Eyesight - it's inclusion makes for good value and Eyesight yields a insurance discount with most major carriers here...

The value means that over 80% of new cars in the Legacy line are optioned this way - remembering all the time that JDM retailers do not stock their lots like American retailers do - better than 60% of JDM Subaru's are 8 - 12 week factory assembly waits... Mine was 12 weeks...

under promise, over deliver. no lawsuits. I'd love to know what the real max speed differential is

http://www.autonews.com/article/20131007/OEM06/310079970/subaru-improves-safety-system#ixzz2h5pxAZsu

The upcoming EyeSight also gets improved auto-braking power. Today's system can stop a car before collision if the speed differential between the Subaru and the car or obstacle ahead is less than 19 mph, the company says, although IIHS said the system worked fine at 25 mph. The new system delivers stopping power at speed differentials up to 31 mph, the company says.

Mr. Moose might actually live if ehsnils buy EyeSight 2.0. :spin:

This one is also good - it's using a radar solution (no I wasn't driving that truck):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridS396W2BY&noredirect=1]Volvo Trucks - Emergency braking at its best! - YouTube[/ame]

Imagine how good it could be if using both cameras and radar.

453747.png

This one is also good - it's using a radar solution (no I wasn't driving that truck):

Imagine how good it could be if using both cameras and radar.

Wow, that's really close for "emergency." >.> It'd be even worse if the load the truck was carrying was a lot heavier. What's the speed on the truck?

Archived