LegacyGT.com

Is the Tribeca done?

DrD123

You could make the argument that you want to take the kid's baseball team out for pizza. Does that mean you should buy this?

http://www.dekanpacificlimobus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/conquest-party-bus.jpg

Of course not. I wouldn't let my kids' friends justify what vehicle I should purchase unless they lived in my house.

I think two kids is kinda in a grey area anyway. If you tend to take a lot of trips for long stretches of time or to places that require a lot of gear (camping, skiing), then you might need to the extra cargo room for all the stuff you'd need to bring. If not, then a sedan is probably fine for your transportation needs (typically cheaper for similar features and more fuel efficient for similar power).

What I really can't stand is the new parents who have their first child and before the paint in the nursery is even dry, think, "Well, now we need to get a minivan or SUV" as if that's some sort of requirement for new parents. My wife and I have had a couple different friends do this and I always scratch my head.

You might as well tell someone else how to raise their children because you don't believe they're doing it the "proper" way. :spin:

You might as well tell someone else how to raise their children because you don't believe they're doing it the "proper" way. :spin:

Yeah, I might be coming off a little bit like that, but I simply don't understand the decision making process. Why does having a kid instantly mean you need to buy the largest consumer vehicle you can find?

Yeah, I might be coming off a little bit like that, but I simply don't understand the decision making process. Why does having a kid instantly mean you need to buy the largest consumer vehicle you can find?

Most parents, I would assume, would rather not transport an infant in a Smart ForTwo compared to a Toyota Land Cruiser in their daily lives. I would hope so too. The Smart ForTwo might meet safety standards but that doesn't mean anything if there isn't enough crumple zones to cushion the impact of a crash.

Besides that, I like having more than not enough when it comes to almost everything. ;D I'm willing to pay the penalty of MPG and more taxes instead of missing any kind of window of opportunity because I wanted to save a couple thousand dollars in the long run.

A modern tweak of the SAAB 93B design of the grille.

Yes, I see the similarities, also with the Saab 96 grille. I quote from wikipedia:

"Subaru also used the grille styling on the Impreza, and the Japanese market Subaru R1 and R2 kei car products.

As this styling motif proved controversial, all future Subaru redesigns abandoned this design language.

The grille design was not conceived by designer Andreas Zapatinas, rather by Fuore Design,

an independent design consulting firm based in Spain, hired by Subaru before Zapatinas involvement.

Andreas Zapatinas and his team were responsible for the design of the interior, and the dashboard in particular.

According to an Los Angeles Times article, the grille design was "meant to convey parent-company Fuji Heavy Industries' glorious history in aviation"

And "the Tribeca was intended to be sold alongside a slightly revised version known as the Saab 9-6.

Saab, at the time a subsidiary of General Motors (GM), abandoned the 9-6 program just prior to its release subsequent to GM's 2005 divestiture of its 20 percent stake in FHI."

You could make the argument that you want to take the kid's baseball team out for pizza. Does that mean you should buy this?

http://www.dekanpacificlimobus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/conquest-party-bus.jpg

Of course not. I wouldn't let my kids' friends justify what vehicle I should purchase unless they lived in my house.

I think two kids is kinda in a grey area anyway. If you tend to take a lot of trips for long stretches of time or to places that require a lot of gear (camping, skiing), then you might need to the extra cargo room for all the stuff you'd need to bring. If not, then a sedan is probably fine for your transportation needs (typically cheaper for similar features and more fuel efficient for similar power).

What I really can't stand is the new parents who have their first child and before the paint in the nursery is even dry, think, "Well, now we need to get a minivan or SUV" as if that's some sort of requirement for new parents. My wife and I have had a couple different friends do this and I always scratch my head.

Well Mr. judgemental. I've owned SUVs for most of my life.

I actually use them if you must know, more than once I've laid out a tarp and carried lose top soil or mulch in it. It's a more practical pick up to me and I treat it like one.

The 2003 replaced a 1994 so no I didn't have one child and think damm I need a monster truck now.

If you don't want to bring your kids friends along that's your business. My kids are social and in a lot of activities so wanting to bring friends along is part of that.

And again my point was it depends on how long you keep cars, maybe those parent already plan on having more kids and don't want to be buying a bigger vehicle later, buy once and be done.

What I don't get are people who use their circumstances and likes and decide that it should work for everyone.

Did you actually read what I wrote before you posted? Because the very post you quote aligns with what you wrote. You use your SUV to haul stuff. I said (paraphrasing), "I can understand if you need to haul stuff all the time."

Anyway... so I hear the Tribeca might be getting discontinued. Confirm/deny?

Anyway... so I hear the Tribeca might be getting discontinued. Confirm/deny?

I just spoke to a salesman at my Local Subaru dealer this weekend. He said that the Tribeca was suppose to end in 2013 but they decided to continue it through the 2014 model year (probably because of parts left over). He said that he was told that this is officially the last year of the Tribeca as it is now. He said he was told to expect a 3 row Subaru sometime next year for the 2015 model year. Thats as much as he knows right now.

Yeah, it was supposed to be redesigned for 2011, but was carried on as-is, and there were rumors of its demise. Then it was rumored to be redesigned for 2012, but was carried on as-is, with more rumors of its demise. Then they continued it for 2013, with yet more rumors of its demise. It was continued yet again for 2014. It seems they've been adapting the plan for the last 5 years, so they could adjust it again if needed. If their new model isn't ready, the current one might just be continued for 2015.

Hey I heard that they'll be making Subarus in 2015. Who knew?!?

I just spoke to a salesman at my Local Subaru dealer this weekend. He said that the Tribeca was suppose to end in 2013 but they decided to continue it through the 2014 model year (probably because of parts left over). He said that he was told that this is officially the last year of the Tribeca as it is now. He said he was told to expect a 3 row Subaru sometime next year for the 2015 model year. Thats as much as he knows right now.

Damn...I actually liked the look a LOT.

Wife has a small SUV, and I can't justify two SUV's in one family. Too bad. It was a very unique car.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Damn...I actually liked the look a LOT.

Wife has a small SUV, and I can't justify two SUV's in one family. Too bad. It was a very unique car.

who knows this 3 row SUV they are talking about could just be a more powerful, larger and more capable Tribeca.

It's probably a result of a small but steady demand that they continue the current one, but it's just tagging along right now. The Tribeca is a relatively thirsty car, and the current economic situation makes it dangerous to say the least to produce a car that has a bad fuel economy.

But at some point in time they need to come up with a replacement or kill it. However right now the effort is likely on the next generation/replacement for the Legacy. If there's a new generation Tribeca it's likely to inherit some parts from the upcoming generation.

453747.png

I thought Subaru said they'd only continue it until the current generation could no longer meet US federal regulations? I'm pretty sure it was in an article but I'm not interested enough to go googling for it now. Either way Subaru won't leave such a market open for other competitors when they've already stepped into hybrid territory. But then again it makes me wonder since customers who buy a 4WD (horrendous) Sante Fe, Highlander, or Pilot really care for Subaru's superior AWD and better handling. So it doesn't seem likely a remodel, to me, will come immediately after they kill off the Tribeca.

Subaru has probably kept the poor selling (and my opinion losing money) Tribeca kicking because the planned to make a replacement. Subaru also made 2014 model Tribeca and had a short model year like they are rolling out a new design for 2015. It would have more sense to continue to sell 2013 if Subaru was going to discontinue the model in September.

Isnt the tribeca also built on the legacy platform?

Also, i seem to recall the tribeca doing fairly well in other markets... So as long as the platform and parts are still available; 2000 US units a year likely still make it worthwhile.

Isnt the tribeca also built on the legacy platform?

Also, i seem to recall the tribeca doing fairly well in other markets... So as long as the platform and parts are still available; 2000 US units a year likely still make it worthwhile.

I saw a Tribeca here once - at the dealer. Not out in the wild.

I would say that the Tribeca finds buyers on markets where gas is cheap, so it's the US or Saudi Arabia.

453747.png

Archived