LegacyGT.com

Is the Tribeca done?

DrD123

It's possible that they will drop the Tribeca entirely. It was quite an odd vehicle even when looking at Subaru. Or especially for Subaru.

My suspicion is that the next gen Outback will be what they will offer as the largest car, and that it will be designed to attract those that earlier went for a Tribeca.

453747.png

I have heard different rumors. One rumor is that the Tribeca is done. But this was in May of 2012 and production was suppose to end before 2012 yet it kept going and the CEO of Subaru said it was not canceled.

I also heard that they may be developing a new version of the Tribeca that shares a platform with the Toyota Highlander. But those are just rumors.

I really like the Tribeca and have been thinking about one as a good vehicle for my wife in a couple years. The only thing right now that is stopping me is the fact that it has such a low towing capacity compared to other similar sized 3 row crossovers. That may change if it ends up on the same platform as the Highlander.

Those rumors have been floating around for several years. We haven't heard anything lately to corroborate the Highlander tie-up. We've heard several times through the years that they feel like they need a 3-row vehicle in the US & Australia (and probably other countries too), but nothing concrete has come through.

There has been talk of possibly bringing the Exiga here (next-gen might be big enough), or growing the next-gen Outback to hold 3 rows for American-sized people.

Bottom line: We don't have anything solid, just rumors.

^ the Exiga would be pretty cool. I would like to see MPV's take off in the US, and this would be a perfect vehicle for that. IDK if I would buy one though. Its still a little small for me.

I wonder if Subaru has thought about an extended version of the Forester? I really like the new forester, but there is not quite enough room behind the rear seat for me. But and extended one might. I would also be excited to possibly see an extended outback as well.

An extended Forester or Outback are probably the most likely. The Forester (to me) seems the better candidate, as the Outback isn't really an SUV, even though Subaru wants us to think it is.

I really like my Tribeca, as it is definitely one of the better-handling SUVs out there. The Outback doesn't handle as well. I hear that the Forester handles well too, which is why it's a better candidate.

My preference, of course, would be to have a slightly larger Tribeca (same as most Tribeca owners), but not enough people are in this camp to make the next Tribeca a success.

Maybe a little marketing would help.

It doesn't surprise me; the sales are dismal. Subaru is on pace to sell less than 2000 Tribeca's in this calendar year. They have to be losing money on that line. One would have thought that Subaru would do well in the mid sized SUV market.

I'm sure all the development and tooling costs have been paid for, so they're probably making a profit on each one sold, which is why they keep it on the market.

They have to be thinking it would be more profitable to just produce more Outbacks in the space taken up by Tribecas on the assembly line, but dealers keep telling them that they need a 3-row, seven-seat vehicle, so it keeps getting built.

Part of the problem is that the Tribeca was a victim of the gas price hike in 2008. The '06/'07 look was too polarizing, and customers seemed to like the '08 face (maybe a bit too bland, but more widely accepted). My local dealer said sales were on a strong upswing with the redesign, but then gas prices shot up over $4/gallon, and sales tanked. They never recovered.

The other part is that it's made for JDM-sized people, not USDM sized people.

My perspective (as well as many others) has been that a slightly larger Tribeca would have done wonders for public acceptance. Others have stated that they could just be more efficient with interior space to provide more legroom, and they could have had a winner.

Cheap fix:

Make the dash thinner so front-row seats can move forward, and make the top of the hatch bulge out more, so they can push the rear seats aft by a couple inches. These two things would provide more legroom everywhere.

I also think they could raise the front of the rear-seat cushion to make it more comfortable for non-child types.

More expensive fix:

Take the current design, stretch it in all directions, and they'll have more width, height, and length which will make most people happy.

I will be disappointed if they drop Tribeca. I really love our 07. I hope they introduce a new larger Tribeca next year, I am ready to upgrade.

Hopefully the reason for delay with decision is due to development of DI 3.6 and high-torque CVT - it would be a great combo; we'd buy it right away.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

It would be interesting with a 3 liter diesel with CVT in the Tribeca. That would probably make it a really good vehicle for those that loves to go on vacation in a caravan. But they would probably have to beef up the high torque CVT then.

Was looking at some caravans yesterday and new ones are from $45k here. :eek:

453747.png

IMHO the Tribeca was really set apart by/with the grill. I actually considered buying a 7 passenger trim but stuck with the legacys......

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/suv-news/the-redesigned-2008-subaru-tribeca-hits-new-york/6274345+w430+cr1+re0+ar1/2006-subaru-tribeca-front-grill.jpg

http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/auto-show-photos.asp?imageId=20776&galleryId=35

I'm really REALLY hoping for a larger 3-row SUV from Subaru. Whether it be an extended Tribeca or something new. My wife and I are starting our family now and I want to avoid the minivan at all costs. I love my Legacy and want the AWD for her as well in something big enough to tote the kids around.

^^^ if there is not new Tribeca announced by mid-2014 we may end up wit AWD Sienna. I like it too but a minivan as a minivan. Much rather have real 3-row SUV from Subaru.

As of right now my plan is to buy my wife a GMC Acadia in 2 years when she is done with school and we are thinking about starting a family. Biggest issue I have with the Acadia is the price. Its almost 10K more than a similarly equipped Tribeca.

I really hope that Subaru does come up with a Tribeca replacement. I really dont need the thrid row, just the extra room. I need room for my wife and I, child seats, and 2 100+ lb dogs. The Forester and the Outback just dont cut it.

I don't understand the obsession of 7 passenger vehicles when you're only starting a family. My Legacy is plenty large enough for 2 adults and a child. Ask me how I know :)

Got 3 kids? Ok, I can see the appeal of having 3 rows of seats. Have just 1 infant? Do you really need to bring enough stuff to justify all that space? Leave the crib and dresser at home; just bring the clothes you need (which are tiny) and a baby jail to sleep in.

I don't understand the obsession of 7 passenger vehicles when you're only starting a family. My Legacy is plenty large enough for 2 adults and a child. Ask me how I know :)

Got 3 kids? Ok, I can see the appeal of having 3 rows of seats. Have just 1 infant? Do you really need to bring enough stuff to justify all that space? Leave the crib and dresser at home; just bring the clothes you need (which are tiny) and a baby jail to sleep in.

My wife and I have a 5 month old. Try taking a 2 week road trip with the little one in my '08. I even have a roof rack and cargo box and it was still packed. Not complaining at all because I love the drive but The 2010+ seem bigger to me.

Don't forget you need formula, bottles, diapers, diapers, diapers, wipes, diapers, toys, diapers.

We will have 1 more in a year or so and 1-2 more after that. Not wasting much time in between so we will need to upgrade soon.

IMHO the Tribeca was really set apart by/with the grill. I actually considered buying a 7 passenger trim but stuck with the legacys......

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/suv-news/the-redesigned-2008-subaru-tribeca-hits-new-york/6274345+w430+cr1+re0+ar1/2006-subaru-tribeca-front-grill.jpg

A modern tweak of the SAAB 93B design of the grille.

453747.png

The 5th gen Legacy Wagon is big enough.

OK, you will have to settle for an Outback in the US then.

453747.png

The 5th gen Legacy Wagon is big enough.

OK, you will have to settle for an Outback in the US then.

Neither of these two is comparable to Tribeca. You'd have to spend some time in Tribeca to understand the difference.

And it's time already you start rubbing in the fact that we in US don't get 6th gen Legacy Wagon :lol: 5th gen is a history (thanks God)

i myself own a swagger wagon. although it lacks AWD (which is fine because toyota's FWD based awd sucks, not worth the weight, cost, mpgs),it looks good, its comfortable, fits people and stuff comfortably. awesome for road trips and the daily grind. once you have all this space, you won't want to cram all your people and stuff into a tiny subaru. also averaging 24.5-25mpg for my daily driving. this is the type of vehicle subaru needs, but it will be difficult to package subaru's drivetrain into something like this and keep its minivan utility.

http://www.flipside909.com/gallery/albums/120209la/IMG_1432.jpg

Depends on how long you keep you vehicles.

We bought our 2003 Explorer when we had one child. Now he's 11 and she's 8 and we just went to the Zoo in 2 cars because each one brought a friend.

We could have bought a 3rd row equipped one, but thought we won't need that.

Luckily I just found a full set of seats including 3rd row in leather for $300

Depends on how long you keep you vehicles.

We bought our 2003 Explorer when we had one child. Now he's 11 and she's 8 and we just went to the Zoo in 2 cars because each one brought a friend.

You could make the argument that you want to take the kid's baseball team out for pizza. Does that mean you should buy this?

http://www.dekanpacificlimobus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/conquest-party-bus.jpg

Of course not. I wouldn't let my kids' friends justify what vehicle I should purchase unless they lived in my house.

I think two kids is kinda in a grey area anyway. If you tend to take a lot of trips for long stretches of time or to places that require a lot of gear (camping, skiing), then you might need to the extra cargo room for all the stuff you'd need to bring. If not, then a sedan is probably fine for your transportation needs (typically cheaper for similar features and more fuel efficient for similar power).

What I really can't stand is the new parents who have their first child and before the paint in the nursery is even dry, think, "Well, now we need to get a minivan or SUV" as if that's some sort of requirement for new parents. My wife and I have had a couple different friends do this and I always scratch my head.

Archived