LegacyGT.com

How to: Transmission Cooler Installation

melayout is correct, the factory cooler (built into the radiator) will only cool the transmission fluid as cool as the radiator is (typically 190-210 degrees). An external transmission cooler is more efficient and cools the fluid better.

Maybe I missed that part of the install, but..

If you already have one "cooler" pegging the temp at 190-210, wouldn't it be mostly a waste of effort to briefly cool the fluid to say 160, only to have the factor rad-cooler heat it back up to 190? Woulnd't you need to DISCONNECT the factory cooler first, for this to actually make much of a difference?

HV

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The factory cooler will keep the temps in the 190-220 range but it does not work like a radiator (when it hits a temp & then cycles) it keeps it more at a constant temp. The external cooler should keep your trasmission fluid in the 160-190 range which as stated before is great insurance;) I am taking off next thursday to install a BUNCH of parts this being one of them.....I will take pictures.
Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

The factory cooler will keep the temps in the 190-220 range but it does not work like a radiator (when it hits a temp & then cycles) it keeps it more at a constant temp. The external cooler should keep your trasmission fluid in the 160-190 range which as stated before is great insurance;) I am taking off next thursday to install a BUNCH of parts this being one of them.....I will take pictures.

I guess I'm being somewhat dense.

From what I read here, the OEM cooler is connected to the radiator system. Thus, its MINIMUM temperature is the current cooling system temperature, which has a minimum of 190, for argument's sake. I expect the cooling system has a LOT MORE fluid than the transmission, and absorbs more heat, so in the event that the additional cooler cools tranny fluid to 160, it will quickly hit the OEM cooler and be brought back up to 190, due to the radiator temperature.

How does the OEM cooler NOT raise the temperature, if it's pegged to the radiator, and the radiator is 30 degrees hotter than the transmission fluid?

It's kind of like turning on the "hot" tap all the way, and turning on the cold tap 10%. Yes, it'll cool things down a bit, but it'll probably still be too hot to wash your face with..

HV

The tranny fluid cycle without the auxilliary cooler is:

Transmission > Radiator (through the internal-to-the-radiator transmission cooler) > Transmission.

So Transmission fluid (@ 300 F) > Radiator trans cooler > (@ 190 F) > Transmission > (@ 300 F) > Radiator trans cooler > (@ 190 F) ad infinitem.

Tranny fluid cylcle with the auxilliary cooler is

Transmission > Radiator (through the internal-to-the-radiator transmission cooler) > Auxiliary cooler > Transmission.

So Transmission fluid (@ 300 F) > Radiator trans cooler > (@ 190 F) > Auxilliary Cooler > (@ 160 F) > Transmission > (@ 300 F) > Radiator trans cooler > (@ 190 F) > Auxilliary Cooler > (@ 160 F) ad infinitem.

Any thoughts or cautions on mounting this to the radiator/condensor?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

you dont have to mount the cooler in front of the radiator. most do it since it gets good air flow and you dont have to reroute to many lines. however if your worried about dmg to the radiator or about the cooler blocking air you can mount the tranny cooler just about anywhere, as long as you route the hose correctly and the cooler has a good flow of air.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

That was what I had thought. However, it sounds like the unit comes kitted up to mount to the front of the condensor/radiator. That would mean additional relocation fabrication to fit it us elsewhere. I'm okay with it being mounted as indicated in the writeup, just so long as there are protections for the cond/rad themselves post-install.

SBT

For those of us who do tow though, this is a necessity as towing puts a huge strain on the whole drivetrain which is in turn creates additional heat at the tranny. For autoboxes, this is a lifesaver.

SBT

I installed the transmission cooler on my car today. Overall things went well.

One tip would be to lube the new hose with some transmission fluid before putting it on the connectors. Otherwise I couldn’t get it on to the connector. With the hose clamps, its not going anywhere.

I checked the transmission fluid level before the install. When the car was cold, it was above the hot-full level. I’ve been driving around with an overfilled transmission for about a year now. :( After the install, when the car was hot, it was a little above the hot-low line. I’ll check it again tomorrow and add some fluid if necessary.

I’ve added some extra power, I plan to add some more, and I drive fairly hard. After just a short, easy drive, the transmission cooler was warm. Its doing its job. I figure the cooler should add some life to the transmission. It may be the difference between a transmission rebuild at 150k vs 200k miles. I figure its worth $45 and an afternoon.

Couple questions:

If ATF fluid needs to be added, should it be added through the ATF dipstick tube?

After reinstalling the engine undercover, I had one extra pop clip left over. Its one of the small ones with the phillips head on it. A friend of mine helped with the install, and he wasn’t sure where it came from either. Anyone know if one of these is used to hold the cover in place?

tranny fluid is always supposed to be checked hot and while the car is actually running. unless you have previously marked your tranny stick with a full/cold line, its best to let the car run for 10-15 mins (depending how cold the engine is) then check the tranny fluid.

since most of the tranny fluid runs out of the converter/fluid passages it will read higher when cold and when the engine is not running then when the fluid is hot and actually being used.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

And it takes very little (less than 1/4 cup usually) to bring it up to full. Add a little bit via the dipstick hole, check it (hot) and then add some more if necessary, again only a little bit. Otherwise you overfill and then it becomes a PITA to lower the level to normal operating fill level.

SBT

The tranny fluid cycle without the auxilliary cooler is:

Transmission > Radiator (through the internal-to-the-radiator transmission cooler) > Transmission.

So Transmission fluid (@ 300 F) > Radiator trans cooler > (@ 190 F) > Transmission > (@ 300 F) > Radiator trans cooler > (@ 190 F) ad infinitem.

Tranny fluid cylcle with the auxilliary cooler is

Transmission > Radiator (through the internal-to-the-radiator transmission cooler) > Auxiliary cooler > Transmission.

SBT

Ah, ok. That's the piece I was missing.

Thanks!

I'll look at picking up one of these kits soon!

HV

• 2 months later...

From: http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=cooler-info

Most cooler manufactures and automobile manufactures information we have read recommends installing the coolers In-Series with the factory radiator cooler for maxium cooling efficiency.

So unless the manufactures who have spent 1000's of hours testing different installations are wrong, the suggested cooler installation is in-series......

Transmission > Radiator cooler > Auxillary cooler > then Back to the transmission.

They key is to put the aux cooler after the radiator cooler...

• 3 months later...
Transmission > Radiator cooler > Auxillary cooler > then Back to the transmission. They key is to put the aux cooler after the radiator cooler...

Which I believe was the point I made back in Post 29. Cooler should follow the radiator cooler.

SBT

personally i dont see the need for a tranny cooler till you are heavily modded or do alot of racing or auto x.

the stock tranny cooler does its job well, no need to mess with it till it cant handle the load anymore.

i would say as soon as u start modding, & no later then stage 2 u should have one. yes, are stock cooling system is better then most to keep trans temps regular, but it is to help warm up the fluid when cold quicker also. ur putting alot more power though the trans then when stock. & in a small way ur helping the cooling system do its first job easier.

+ its fairly cheap,do-ur-self,mod that doesnt take long, & will do alot of good & no harm!!

Good deal on Tru Cool 4451 on eBay. Seller puts one up every 5 days with a starting bid of $19.95 and fixed shipping of $8.95. Usually goes at that price or a few bucks more. Be patient (don't start bidding against eachother) and get the whole kit delivered for < $29.

http://images.marketworks.com/hi/61/61356/810897-1.jpg

Anyone want to consider a Group Buy on these?

I asked "Transpartshouse" on ebay, and here's the response I got (I'm assuming similar shipping - around $14-15 from Florida to CA, for example):

depending on the size you want the 1401, 1402, 1403 will work or the 1676, 1677, 1678. Prices below for 6 or more.

Hayden:

401 - $19.95

402 - $21.95

403 - $24.95

404 - $27.95

405 - $28.95

676 - $29.95

677 - $31.95

678 - $38.95

679 - $43.95

Does it include everytnhing needed for installation? If so, I'm in!

Ted

I guess I should have clarified - I'm NOT running a group buy, but maybe someone else wants to co-ordinate one?

(sorry, just don't have the time..)

HV

• 2 months later...

Opie;

Good write up, thanks. I am going to install a cooler.

I have a question about identifying the correct hose.

In your photo above description (8) you refer to the line towards the rear of the car. You are obviously not referring to the one in the center of the photo, but to the one in photo (9) that is at about 4 o'clock and has a shiny reflection. Is this correct? Also I assume that the hose shown vertically behind this hose is the new transmission cooler line. Is this correct.

• 1 month later...
Opie;

Good write up, thanks. I am going to install a cooler.

I have a question about identifying the correct hose.

In your photo above description (8) you refer to the line towards the rear of the car. You are obviously not referring to the one in the center of the photo, but to the one in photo (9) that is at about 4 o'clock and has a shiny reflection. Is this correct? Also I assume that the hose shown vertically behind this hose is the new transmission cooler line. Is this correct.

When you look at where the rubber lines coming from the factory cooler in the radiator connect to the metal hard lines on the frame rail you will see that the lines are side-by-side on the frame rail. The hose that connects to the rear hard line (furthest from the front of the car) is the line you want to connect to.

Connecting it this way will result in this fluid travel:

Transmission (Hot Fluid) to factory cooler (in radiator) to auxilary cooler and then back into the transmission (but much cooler at this point!) :D

• 7 months later...

Oldddd thread. But is it the consenus that the hayden 677 is the best tranny cooler (in terms of fit and performance).

Does anyone have a temp gauge and has actually seen how much of a temp change there is before and after installing the TC?

I'm slightly confused whats the difference in the 677 and 1677?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HAYDEN-677-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-20-000-GVW-1677-race_W0QQitemZ320080330269QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33727QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320012025085&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=320080330269&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

Archived