LegacyGT.com

Sputter followed by a backfire

Outback momma

I have 2001 outback wagon, I'm the 2nd owner.. She was dealer maintained up until recently only because we live sooo far away.. Anyway, recently it started to run like CRAP!! we had had this happen before, getting bad gas at a rustic rural gas station, but this time it has not gone away :-( ... We've tried plugs, wires, i injector cleaner and a fuel filter... There are no lights on the dash and no codes show up when they checked it.. It starts fine, when you accelerate gently it fine, but after about 40km/hr if you step to hard it starts to sputter and will backfire if you don't let off.. If you drop it into 3rd(it's automatic) it perks up and doesn't do it.. The check engine light does come on flashing when it's choking/backfiring but goes off when it gets over it which is usually around 75km/hr... Any suggestions?? If it matters its just had a new alternator & battery (as that was another interesting few days **sigh**)

Thanks!! I love my old girl!!

Hello;

Have the code read again, should be stored even if the CEL is not on all of the time. I would check the fuel pressure with a gauge. Remember that there is another fuel filter attached to the fuel pump. I am guessing that you will get a misfire code. Recently ran out of gas and my car acted just like yours, Steven.

Archived