LegacyGT.com

98 Subaru Legacy GT Alarm System Problems

Celia_Rose

Hi there,

I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy GT. The problem I am having is with the alarm system randomly being triggered to go off without any reason. A little background to my issue: I bought this car about 4 years ago, with the car only having one previous owner. Originally, when I bought the car it came with a main key and key fob and one spare key. About a year after I bought the car I lost the key fob so I went to just using the spare key. I never had any issues with triggering the alarm or anything, and I would use the power button on the door to lock all of the doors and then use the key in the door to unlock the driver's side door. Again, the alarm was never triggered to go off while locking and unlocking the car this way. Now about 6 months ago I finally decided to buy a new key fob from somewhere online. I programmed the new key fob to my car, and this is when I start having problems.

My car alarm started to just randomly go off and I would have to hit the lock or unlock button on the key fob to turn it off. Finally, one day about 2 months ago, when it was going off nonstop and I ended up pulling the fuse for the power locks, I went and got the key fob checked. Turns out the battery was dying so I replaced the batteries and all was well again. About a month ago is when it starts to get really strange and aggravating. My key fob is in working condition, batteries are fine. However, the alarm is still being set off without any provocation or anything. One day the alarm was set off even with all of the doors unlocked and even some door wide open. I took it into a Subaru dealership and the mechanic there could not figure out how the alarm was being set off, or how it had been set off without it even being engaged in the first place. I have noticed that often times when I am parked next to some sort of Chevrolet vehicle, it is set off randomly and sometimes when other people use their key fobs in the general area of my car. However it still is going off without any indication as to why, and I have to resort to pulling the fuse for the power lock doors in order to ensure the alarm will not go off.

So I guess my question is, do you know why the alarm would be triggered without any provocation, and is there a way to just disable the alarm system without rendering the power locks useless? Also would there be a way to disable the key fob so that the alarm cannot be turned on? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

ive heard those old code/ audiovox alarms have issues if you only have one fob programmed into them. i think they can hold up to 4. you may be able to program the same fob into all the slots if i remember, which may stop the ghost issues.

edit:

heres the info on the alarm, maybe something in there will help

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code alarm

Archived