LegacyGT.com

95 Legacy: I cannot fix code P0340

vernobe

I have a 95 Legacy. Car died and will not start, no spark. Gasoline is being injected. Codes P0340 and 0403. I replaced spark plugs, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, ignition coil, ignition module. Still no spark. Now only finds code P0340. Any suggestions?

Did ya check to see if valve timing is correct? Timing belt broke?

You will get injector pulse with a crank signal, but crank and cam signals need to be in correct time in order for injector pulse. Easy thing would be to check compression, but pulling the timing covers isn't very difficult.

You nailed it! I looked under the car at the timing belt cover, and it has a hole, just left of center. The belt idler is lying loose, as is the timing belt. I can push both of them up. I've got the radiator out already, and will see what the problem is this weekend. Thanks, and I'll let you know how this turns out.

Hello;

You can get a complete timing kit w/water pump on Epay for around $150.00. The hydralic tensioner still should be good. Do not use any solvents or cleaner on this, just wipe clean. Check for leaks around seal and slowly compress in a vise and use a small allen wrench to lock in the compressed position. When I did mine the oil pump, cam seals, were leaking. When done you should have another 80k trouble free miles, Steven.

Righty-lefty, ofcourse, but on rotating items it is sometimes reversed. We got it off, and found the issue. Belt idler no.2 had seized and the bolt broke. And it had ruined the thread already. Got the bolt out and will need to tap a new thread. We'll replace the belt and all elements that come in the kit (some idlers make a sound). Will replace waterpump too, if we can get the belt tensioner bolt undone (it is stuck, and we are applying heat to loosen).

Archived