LegacyGT.com

Hiking

Wondering what notable hikes others have done.

I hiked/climbed Longs Peak yesterday. It's about a 15 mile trek and 4800' in elevation gain (total gain of 5100' after ups and downs per official trail reports). More impressively, my buddy from Michigan reached the summit with me less than 24 hours after landing in Denver.

For our trip to the summit of 14,259', Which Wich rewarded our effort with free sandwiches. And surprisingly, the folks at the store were exceptionally happy to have us there.

Keyhole route. 5.5 hours up, 4.5 hours down. 90 minutes to enjoy the view from the top. 11.5 hours total round trip!

My buddy landed in Denver at 8:46 am on Friday, and we reached the summit at exactly 8:00 am on Saturday! :lol:

Wasn't the plan. His flight was originally scheduled to arrive in Denver around 8:00 pm on Thursday, but Delta bent him over and screwed him hard by not holding his connecting flight for a few minutes to make the connection. In fact, instead, they let his plane depart early! Then they said it was against FAA regulations to hold a flight for passengers making a connection! :mad::nono::lol:

The stream of lies told by Delta gate agents and Customer Service reps was comical.

• 5 months later...
Wondering what notable hikes others have done.

I hiked/climbed Longs Peak yesterday. It's about a 15 mile trek and 4800' in elevation gain (total gain of 5100' after ups and downs per official trail reports). More impressively, my buddy from Michigan reached the summit with me less than 24 hours after landing in Denver.

For our trip to the summit of 14,259', Which Wich rewarded our effort with free sandwiches. And surprisingly, the folks at the store were exceptionally happy to have us there.

Did Long's Keyhole route about 10 years ago when my knees weren't so bad. Was there a lot of ice when you went up? There was quite a bit when we went through the keyhole. Took us about 12 hours total and my feet were wasted, even with excellent HiTec boots and Wigwam socks with liners.

I rock climb all over the place out there. Above Lily Lake, Lumpy Ridge, Poachers, some in the National Park, even the cliffs above Golden. I ALMOST moved out there about 8 years ago but I changed jobs and decided to make more money and stay here.

Not a huge hiker but last summer I did Angels Landing in Zion National Park.

Really had no idea what we were getting ourselves into aside from the fact that the rangers told us to be extremely careful :eek:.

The narrow and arduous trail drops 1200' on one side and 800' on the other. Elevation gain approximately 1500 ft, 5 mile hike up and back. Absolutely a must for anyone who likes to hike. A hike I will never ever forget. If you don't like heights stay away. You've been warned!

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53808928-78/2010-angels-anna-award.html.csp

Zion.jpg.923cfd48c2b4c5e47c8e1ad31b003532.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just notched my first big hike of the summer. Took on Wetterhorn Peak in the San Juans of Colorado. That is an amazing mountain range, and I'm looking forward to going back. We were supposed to summit Uncompahgre as well, but our 4WD connection ended up going home early so we scrubbed it on this trip since it would add 8 miles to the trek after already climbing the day before.

BDII - That sounds like a fun endeavor! Does that list have a common name? I think I've heard of that before, but I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing.

That's pretty cool. I realized I was thinking of the Adirondack 46ers.

One thing I know for sure, there are a LOT of lists to chase if one is so inclined. I've met some pretty amazing people through hiking. I know a couple who completed the 7 summits this year on Mt. Vinson (and another guy chasing the 7 summits), a number of people who have completed the Colorado 14ers, and met a guy who completed all of the Colorado 13ers as well (something like 535 of 'em!)

Always cool to hear of some of these accomplishments.

I do like my REI zip-offs. Best of both worlds, and VERY helpful/functional on the high peaks where conditions can change significantly at different times. I often find I'll want pants for the very early morning (who am I kidding, many of these hikes start at night), then maybe as it warms up on a long approach the legs will come off, but as one gets above 13,000 feet or on ridge lines, the legs go back on until later in the descent and temps climb higher again.

Weird! My REI zip-offs have two zippers per leg. One to detach from the shorts, and one that runs vertically up the seam to allow boot-clad leg removal. Otherwise I would also find that to be a pain to take boots on and off to convert the legs.

Hell, I get crabby enough just trying to zip the seam! :lol:

Edit: I think this is it - the Sahara with "no-sit zips" http://www.rei.com/product/861660/rei-sahara-convertible-pants-with-no-sit-zips-mens-32-inseam

Archived