LegacyGT.com

JDM Swaybar Fitted on Outback XT

Limeydriver

Ok Kids:) ,

I decided to try the install of the JDM rear swaybar today. IT FITS. The JDM bar and stock bar are exactly the same shape and length. Subaru lengthened the mounting bracket to enable them to use the same swaybar. Install was pretty straight forward. You have to unbolt the rear mufflers to get the bars out and in.

I went out for a good run after the install including my local interstate on and off ramp. The difference is noticable. The stock Outback has a floaty rear end. The car when pushed hard fells a little unstable, not anymore. The front and rear are now in perfect harmony. The cornering is much more poised. The ride is not noticably harsher. This is a great mod for the Outback. It probably makes more difference than the GT due to our smaller stock rear bar.

681257975_SwayCompare1.jpg.316d376e92705d567003d039c552b17c.jpg

1611311956_SwayCompare4.jpg.e415e2bc2d154ee4a4138d318eca2bc9.jpg

1287945877_JDMSwaybar1.jpg.d4147cba2681336c23983269f43641ed.jpg

1104002078_JDMSwaybar2.jpg.6852315e0c2abf93da0f3f9cb2a269ea.jpg

529487244_SwaybarBracket.jpg.ec3896117c7cc23e319af079c8deae3a.jpg

Great news! :D

It's good to know that it fits, a viable upgrade path for Outback owners, plus it won't stick out too much at the dealership when in for maintenance and such.

We always include bushings in the stabilizer bar orders, because they are necessary for fitment.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Also means that the USDM LGT rear sway bar will fit. While not as stiff as the JDM bar, it will increase roll stiffness in the rear, and balance out the handling. I'm not sure why the OB has a 14mm rear bar, while the LGT has a 17mm bar, but for a cheap upgrade, it's something to consider. I say cheap, because as more and more LGT owners upgrade to the JDM and aftermarket bars, some will sell their OEM bars.

I'm really glad to hear that it fits because if we do get an OBXT for my wife, this will be one thing that I'll want to do to it. OB has just too much roll for me and she notices it much more than your typical non-motor head spouse would notice something like this... which is good.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

just sort of thinking out loud...if you go with a thicker rear bar, will it compromise the "independent-ness" of the rear wheel travel? Say you're on a unpaved road and only one rear tire drops into a deep rut, will a thicker bar compromise off-road handling and traction?

just sort of thinking out loud...if you go with a thicker rear bar, will it compromise the "independent-ness" of the rear wheel travel? Say you're on a unpaved road and only one rear tire drops into a deep rut, will a thicker bar compromise off-road handling and traction?

Of necessity, yes, but not to a significant degree. The JDM bar is still within numbers that are reasonable. When people start strapping on 25mm bars, etc, then it becomes problematic.

As regards the warranty question, technically yes, a swaybar will void the warranty of affected parts. So if you break a swaybar mount with a larger swaybar, the repair would be on your own dime. Conversely, if your "check engine" light came on, the swaybar would have nothing to do with it.

Note also that you would have to patronize a pretty cranky dealer to have anything be affected by a swaybar. I went to my dealer (with my WRX) with DMS coilovers, stainless lines/Subaru 4-pots, different swaybar, wheels and tires and other stuff going on, and nobody said a word.

Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
Before I order, let me be clear- this is the JDM Legacy bar right? I remember the JDM OB bar being not much bigger than the US one.

Yes Jedi you need the Legacy GT JDM bar 20mm. So if you are ordering from AVO it is under Legacy BL/BP in the international section. The part no is BLBP-RSTABI

Of necessity, yes, but not to a significant degree. The JDM bar is still within numbers that are reasonable. When people start strapping on 25mm bars, etc, then it becomes problematic.

I agree 20mm is about as far as I would go on an Outback. Anymore and you are going to get a lot of rear bias in the handling which with the increased ground clearance would not be fun. There is a reason that stock rear bars tend to be smaller than stock front bars - more foregiving handling.

Archived