LegacyGT.com

Money Saving tip: Air Filtration

Found out that the 2005+ Legacy's & Outbacks use the same air filtration filter as the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Several aftermarket filter companies make filters for the FJ Cruiser that don't list the Legacy/Outback, but they are the same. Usually quite a bit cheaper than the OEM filters.

Purolator - C35516

Fram - CF10132

Beck/Arnley - 0422014

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not a bad idea at all, but I think these aftermarket solutions are more convenient I guess. As long as you cut it to size and it fits great without letting air pass around it, you should be OK with a furnace filter. 3M Filtrete are the best ones afaik. They have been reviewed all over the place and have come out ahead in terms of filtration. They last you 3 months in a house too and you'll be dusting less often :) They do cost though.

Found out that the 2005+ Legacy's & Outbacks use the same air filtration filter as the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Several aftermarket filter companies make filters for the FJ Cruiser that don't list the Legacy/Outback, but they are the same. Usually quite a bit cheaper than the OEM filters.

Purolator - C35516

Fram - CF10132

Beck/Arnley - 0422014

No gaps? Fits basically the same - as is???

The Purolator C35516 is listed on the Purolator site if you use the filter selector and put in Subaru Legacy. So I guess the secret is out :p

So I guess that answers D_J's question.

Good to know Opie, I would have never thought of looking and I was planning on cutting a 3M filter to size.

The Purolator C35516 size is:

Length: 8.46in

Width: 8.46in

Height: 0.76in

Thanks for the tip, good job noticing that. I saw one of the Legacy GT vendors here charging $50 + shipping for an imported filter. These probably cost a lot less I'm sure.

2006 + models you don't have to disassemble the center console to get to it? You just have to drop the glove box?

I installed the aforementioned $27 Wix filter last night.

15 mins, perfect fit, it also appeared to be an exact OEM replacement (absolutely the same filter design). The stock one was of course very dirty after 30k. It only involved dropping the glove box. Removing the small cubby where the owners manual fits above the glove box made the job much easier.

yup, 06.

Due to the price and accessability, this is a filter change I will be doing a bit more often, like every 10k ... it was really dirty, and I don't drive in a dusty environment.

Up until now I just couldn't bring myself to pay the stealership 50 or 60 dollars for an OEM replacement.

it was really dirty, and I don't drive in a dusty environment.

Given your locale, wouldn't doubt that a lot of that is pollen and airborne biologics.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I gotta ask you guys, why not just cut a 3M furnace filter to size? You pay around the same price for their top of the line but you get at least 4 filters out of it, depending on how big you buy it. I'm not criticizing your buying decision, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something about this trick since I haven't done it myself.

After having seen mine replaced twice, I'd certainly replace it once a year or about 16 thousand miles or so.

I don't think you are missing anything, I think it is a matter of preference and ability to do a perfect trimming job on the 3M ;)

... I haven't seen the 3M filter, however the fiber structure of the OEM one and the replacement one seem designed very specifically to allow both maximum air flow and maximum filtration.

Archived