LegacyGT.com

Clutch/Starter Interlock Disable

/* Standard Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damage to your vehicle which is a result of doing the following mod. Use at your own risk, and only if you understand all the consequences! */

Now that that's out of the way.. Tonight I decided to do the DRL disable to save my headlights. While under the dash panel, I remembered the mod I did for my friend's WRX to enable starting without depressing the clutch.

The mod is nearly identical to the one posted on scoobymods.com and is as follows:

1. Remove Lower Dash panel (2 Popits and one retainer pin which is a pain in the arse to remove) to gain access to the bracket above the clutch pedal.

2. You'll see 2 plugs for switches which engage when the clutch pedal is at the top of the stroke, a blue one closest to the bottom of the pedal and a white one directly above it.

3. We're interested in the white plug, but you'll need to remove the blue plug (cruise control switch is blue) first to gain access to the release tab. They both disengage with push-tabs on the bottom side and are quite easy to remove.

4. Once you have removed the white plug, re-connect the BLUE plug.

5. Fashion a jumper out of some wire to bridge the two terminals in the white plug. The shorting of the two pins makes the interlock think the clutch is disengaged.

6. Cover with electrical tape to protect and use a zip tie to fasten it to the wires coming from the blue connector.

7. Replace lower dash panel and popits.

Now, with the vehicle in neutral (for obvious reasons; if you don't know why then you probably shouldn't be attempting this mod), you'll be able to start the car without engaging the clutch.

You may be asking yourself, why would I want to do this? The theory behind it is, the clutch places an axial force on the crankshaft bearings during a high wear (i.e. little/no oil lubrication) situation. This force can lead to (over time) excessive lateral wear in the bearings allowing the crankshaft freeplay to increase outside of tolerances. This creates the dreaded "crankwalk" situation which many DSMs and Supras seem to experience. Again, I believe this is just a theory, not sure how much evidence there is. At the very least, you're reducing the wear on your clutch throwout bearing.

My old Honda never had an interlock, so I'm used to flicking the gearshift to neutral and starting the car without depressing the clutch..

Enjoy!!

/* Standard Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damage to your vehicle which is a result of doing the following mod. Use at your own risk, and only if you understand all the consequences! */

Now, with the vehicle in neutral (for obvious reasons; if you don't know why then you probably shouldn't be attempting this mod), you'll be able to start the car without engaging the clutch.

is that the only consequence for this mod?

great write up by the way, im sure people who want the remote start with a manual transmission can do this now

Remote start will work now too, you're correct. I believe there's a neutral switch for the gearshift too (definately on autos, but I thought the manuals did too) to provide extra protection for remote start. Perhaps someone can post up info on the wiring of such a switch..

• 4 weeks later...
there are 2 switches on that signals the clutch has moved a slight bit (the blue one) and that tells the cruise your touching the clutch. the one u are unpluging is telling the car the clutch is FULLY depressed and there for safe to start the car. so the answer to your question is "no this will not affect your cruise control if u plug the blue one back in"

• 5 months later...
wouldnt it be just as simple as clamping on a tapping clip to the two wires and leave the plug intact?

Keefe

I suppose you could, but vampire taps can be unreliable and you're cutting into the wire when you do it. My method is far less destructive..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived