LegacyGT.com

Front Half Shaft Leak - Axle Seal?

mschmidt

I put a new clutch in a few months ago and I have recently started to leak transmission fluid from the passenger halfshaft/tranny area. I thought I was careful when I took the half shaft out. I did not look close when I had them out but I assume there is some kind of gasket by the spline that I may have damaged? Anyone have a part number? My vacation pics are at work. The pic below shows where I think the fluid is coming from. Is this easy to fix? Out of warranty.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC05728.jpg

Mike

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a rubber seal there. It can be damaged if you are not VERY careful when dealing with the shaft.

Be forewarned, the seals are LEFT and RIGHT specific... put the wrong one in and it will literally pump the fluid out instead of let it leak.

Having a 5EAT I don't have direct experience with that transmission, but became aware of the seals when I had to replace my rear diff and installed new seals. When I had to replace the broken left rear axel, however, I did not replace the seal, which was relatively new, and have no leak.

I would PM Highlander as he could direct you to the correct pn for what you need.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
Fixed the leak today... looks like the seal got caught on the re-install and finally started to crack and leak. For any tranny work, I suggest you replace the seals and add a bit of oil to them before putting the half shaft back in. I thought I was very careful. They are only $5 each. Well worth what I had to go through. Pic of bad seal below. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC05903.jpg

• 8 months later...

I have a leak coming from this same exact area as shown in the picture.

I just noticed it shortly after changing out my transmission and front differential fluid.

At first I thought it was leaking near the drain plug area but as you notice that just happens to be where the natural flow of oil will follow.

After cleaning it all and checking back a few hours later the only wet area is near the spot shown in this picture.

When I cleaned it I also tried to screw in the drain plug tighter thinking that might have been the problem. I'm sure I over torqued it and will never get it off.

So back to the leak....

Interestingly enough I had a split CV Boot right on that same shaft replaced just about a month ago.

I am sure that the leak must be a result from that work done at the dealer.

This of course has been the only thing I have had the dealer do that I didn't do myself and here we have a leak.

Do you think the dealer will give me any resistance when it comes to making this right and repairing the leak now?

This brings a couple of questions to mind.

When they replace a CV Boot does transmission and differential OIL sill out of transmission area?

If they caused a leak of my transmission fluid by replacing a CV Boot it leads me to believe that changing out the boot might cause oil to be lost.

If that's the case they did not inform me and they surely did not refill with the same fluid I had in there. (REDLINE) Can someone confirm my ideas on the fluid being lost during a CV Boot replacement.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I put a new clutch in a few months ago and I have recently started to leak transmission fluid from the passenger halfshaft/tranny area. I thought I was careful when I took the half shaft out. I did not look close when I had them out but I assume there is some kind of gasket by the spline that I may have damaged? Anyone have a part number? My vacation pics are at work. The pic below shows where I think the fluid is coming from. Is this easy to fix? Out of warranty.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC05728.jpg

Mike

Um... how did you replace the seal?

If you unscrewed that funny looking cap, then be ABSOLUTELY certain you tightened it EXACTLY as it was stock (same number of turns, and the lock plate in the exact same spot).

If you didn't pay attention, you can kiss your front diff goodbye.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Thanks, that sounds pretty scary! :eek:

That funny looking cap is that sensitive?

What will happen to the front diff?

It started as a split CV boot.

I paid to have the dealer fix the boot under warranty.

I don't know exactly how they fixed it.

Somehow when they put it all back together it started leaking.

Um... how did you replace the seal?

If you unscrewed that funny looking cap, then be ABSOLUTELY certain you tightened it EXACTLY as it was stock (same number of turns, and the lock plate in the exact same spot).

If you didn't pay attention, you can kiss your front diff goodbye.

How did you have to pay to have something covered under warranty?

That cap is one of the two alignment caps (the other is on the other side) for the front diff. Do it wrong, and you squeeze the front diff too tightly and destroy the carrier bearings (and the race in the cap). Offset both of them, and you change pinion depth, and shear the ring and pinion gears free of teeth.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

For starters that seal is covered by the 5/60k.

I would go in and talk with the Service writer and talk to him about the situation. Make them aware that you had that axle boot replaced and within a month later you have a leak coming from that seal. They should as a show of goodwill and faith repair that for you for free being they easily could have messed it up. If the writer doesn't want to offer any assistance, then move up to the Service Manager who oversees him and the dept. Inform him of the same thing and that removing an axle to replace a boot could have easily caused that if they hit it and can they offer some assistance.

If they decline, contact the General Manager of the dealership, inform them of what has happened and that the Service Dept has declined to do what is right. Also contact SOA as well.

FYI, we had this happen the other month with the similar scenario and I replaced the seal for free because my tech and I said it was possible that he could have done it removing the axle when we replaced the guys clutch.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I thought I was scared before. Now I am terrified!

:eek::spin:

Let's hope the dealer didn't squeeze them tight or offset them incorrectly.

Let's just hope they damaged a seal when putting it back together and caused the very small leak.

This is going to be a nightmare.

You had a good question...

how did I pay to have it fixed when it was covered under warranty... :)

Turns out I have a deductable with my extended warranty which I didn't realize. SO I shelled out good money for my 100k mile warranty but when this $50 part failed I had to pay $100 deductable to have them fix it.

What I really paid for was a leak... and from what you are saying... I may be throwing a going away party for my front differential.....

:spin::spin::spin:

How did you have to pay to have something covered under warranty?

That cap is one of the two alignment caps (the other is on the other side) for the front diff. Do it wrong, and you squeeze the front diff too tightly and destroy the carrier bearings (and the race in the cap). Offset both of them, and you change pinion depth, and shear the ring and pinion gears free of teeth.

If the dealer did it, there is a very very slim chance that they actually did not install that cap correctly.

I emailed them and gave them a nice explanation of the leak.

They replied with an available appointment on Friday.

I will report how it goes.

OH, can someone clarify what happens when they remove the axle and replace the seal.

Obviously because it is leaking tranny/diff oil that means there is some oil behind that seal.

How much gear oil will come out during an axle seal replacement?

I would not think you need to drain and fill the entire system for an axle replacement.

I JUST changed my fluids so I want to know if they are going to touch the fluids and try to top off with their own stuff.

If it will indeed require more fluid I can bring some of my own redline to top off with after the seal is repaired.

However, I don't want to offer it to them if it isn't necessary.

I like to have an idea of how it works.

Thanks

You won't lose that much fluid, but they should check it and top off if needed when they do the repairs anyways. Most likely you won't lose any to affect it enough.

I would just in case, but I doubt they would need it. Always better to have it when you don't need it.

Archived