LegacyGT.com

Sirius Install -- Havent seen anyone with this one yet

quest

Here is my install I just finished. Sound quality is pretty good for FM modulator, but could be better. I color-matched my antenna and roof mounted it. I still get 100% signal strength with the painted antenna and I think it looks a lot better. Also, I have the display mounted in the "if we were in Japan this is where my navigation would be" location. Similar to the XM commander installs posted in the forum. Here are a couple of pics....

http://jasonquest.com/pics/Custom_Sirius_Install/sirius%20001.jpg

http://jasonquest.com/pics/Custom_Sirius_Install/sirius%20003.jpg

Let me know what you think.

I just velcrowed it to the back of the cubby, that way I could throw the remote or sunglasses or whatever in there if I felt like it. The only downfall with that is the remote looses some of its range with the IR being blocked at some angles by the cubby.

very cool -- i was thinking about doing the same thing, but decided that it was to hard to reach the buttons to change the station with it that far back.

one thing problem that i've discovered is that with the cubby open (to see the radio) the glare on the clock / trip computer is very bad to the point it is difficult to read. I continually close and open the cubby door so i can see the time.

its the "SIRIUS Starbase Satellite Radio Receiver (SCFM1)". It hasnt hit stores yet, but you can buy it online at CircuitCity.com.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRIUS-Starbase-Satellite-Radio-Receiver-SCFM1-/sem/rpsm/oid/117596/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

They have it on sale for $144.

Im glad I held out for a unit small enough to fit in the cubby. On a sh*tty note, got a record high $308 ticket today. Gainesville sucks.

its the "SIRIUS Starbase Satellite Radio Receiver (SCFM1)". It hasnt hit stores yet, but you can buy it online at CircuitCity.com.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRIUS-Starbase-Satellite-Radio-Receiver-SCFM1-/sem/rpsm/oid/117596/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

They have it on sale for $144.

Im glad I held out for a unit small enough to fit in the cubby. On a sh*tty note, got a record high $308 ticket today. Gainesville sucks.

Thanks. Been considering a smaller unit to do as you have.

TICKETS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I believe they are soley responsible for the general publics' distaste for police.

Very nice.

I just got the Sirius Sportster installed in my 05 Grand Caravan, and now want

a Sirius in my LGT too.

I may very well get the hook up you got.

Did they put the antenna above the windshield or did you run it through the car and

out the back window?

Did Circuit City do the install for you?

How much? Best Buy was $50 for the Sirius Sportster in the minivan.

Lastly, where you get the color match paint? Is it spray?

Did they put the antenna above the windshield or did you run it through the car and

out the back window?

I'm not quest, but you can put it in either place with ease. That being said, when I install mine I don't want it to be visible, so I'm gonna put it inside the front window on the dash off to the drivers side corner. and see how the well the satalite can connect to it. If it sux then I'll move it outside as a last resort. My nav install on my last car I put the sat connector there and didn't have many problems

Did Circuit City do the install for you?How much? Best Buy was $50 for the Sirius Sportster in the minivan.

Bestbuy and Circuit City will have the same prices most likely...both will do the same quality of job. Have you checked out a local specialty audio shop?

You can get it really anywhere......check this place out....

http://levineautoparts.com/spraycanofto.html

Once again I'm not Quest, but I hope that helps a lil :D

Sorry for the slow response....

Very nice.

out the back window?

Did Circuit City do the install for you?

How much? Best Buy was $50 for the Sirius Sportster in the minivan.

I did the install myself. It is hard wired, not wireless. I just spliced into the stock antenna wire and installed a standard male and female antenna connection to hook the FM Modulator through. It was easy.

The antenna is mounted above the windshield. I first tried to leave it above the third brake light, but the reception was the suck, so I moved it outside. Dash mounting it may be ok, I didnt try that. I think my tint may have affected reception from the inside, cause others claim success from the inside. I had about 30% of full reception inside. With it mounted outside, I get the full 100% signal. I spray painted it with some auto paint from Pep Boys, they let me take like 8 cans out to my car and get the one that was the closest to the actual color.

Best Buy and Circuit City are about the same price for the install, but I dont know if they are willing to mount it in special locations for that price, cause it does take a little extra time to remove the cubby for install and all that. Do it yourself, this forum has all the information needed for the install.

Quest,

I have a couple quests about your install. Where did you mount the turner for the starbase? Just curious if you mounted it under the dash or the trunk? Also, where did you get power for the starbase tuner. I want to do a similar installation, but I wanted to get some feedback from you on your install.

Thanks!

I did the install myself. It is hard wired, not wireless. I just spliced into the stock antenna wire and installed a standard male and female antenna connection to hook the FM Modulator through. It was easy.

Wait a minute. You did it yourself, and all you did was splice the Sirius antenna wire into the stock antenna wire with the FM Modulator in between?

Did you drill a hole into the back of the cubby compartment then to feed the wires through?

I'm not sure I'd go to that much trouble myself, and would rather just pay the Best Buy guy $50 for the install, like it cost on my minivan.

But the reason I ask about the splicing is, because I also bought the Sportster Boombox for my office and travel, but have noticed that reception in my home kinda stinks. I even place the boombox antenna right in the window sill, but it still cuts out often. I called Sirius, who told me I needed to call technical support of the MAKERS of the boombox. I did.

They told me that the antenna that comes with the boombox isn't NEARLY as strong as the antenna the comes on the car mount. I get reception in the car all the time, even in a blinding rain storm the other day...no problems.

So I wanted to get a car antenna for the boombox. The technical support lady told me I can't anymore. Anymore? She said they changed the plug so

the car antenna (which uses a 90 degree angled plug) won't fit into the back of the boombox, which uses a straight plug.

That stinks, so I'm thinking of trying to "splice" or use some other form of

adapter to allow me to use a car mount antenna in the back of the boombox for better in home reception when using the boombox.

Think it I could do that?

The antenna is mounted above the windshield. I first tried to leave it above the third brake light, but the reception was the suck, so I moved it outside. Dash mounting it may be ok, I didnt try that. I think my tint may have affected reception from the inside, cause others claim success from the inside. I had about 30% of full reception inside. With it mounted outside, I get the full 100% signal. I spray painted it with some auto paint from Pep Boys, they let me take like 8 cans out to my car and get the one that was the closest to the actual color.

Best Buy and Circuit City are about the same price for the install, but I dont know if they are willing to mount it in special locations for that price, cause it does take a little extra time to remove the cubby for install and all that. Do it yourself, this forum has all the information needed for the install.

Yeah, I found reception best when on the roof. I tried the dash too, which worked 85% of the time, but on the roof, and unless you are in a tunnel or parking garage, no problem. That's amazing that Pep Boys had a silver that's nearly a perfect match to our cars. Which brand and color name is it?

Thanks.

Quest,

I have a couple quests about your install. Where did you mount the turner for the starbase? Just curious if you mounted it under the dash or the trunk? Also, where did you get power for the starbase tuner. I want to do a similar installation, but I wanted to get some feedback from you on your install.

Thanks!

The tuner is mounted under the passenger seat. I tapped into the power / remote power from the stock head unit. I have the factory subwoofer installed so I didnt mind tapping into that wiring harness (it piggybacks onto the head units wiring harness). I grounded the unit to the ground on the right side of the factory head unit.

Wait a minute. You did it yourself, and all you did was splice the Sirius antenna wire into the stock antenna wire with the FM Modulator in between?

Yes, basically I cut the stock antenna wire after the factory plug (about 5 inches from the stock head unit). Then I stripped that wire down to get rid of all the shielding and added a standard male and female antenna plug (purchased at Circuit City). From there I could just plug the StarBase FM modulator straight in.

Did you drill a hole into the back of the cubby compartment then to feed the wires through?

Yes, there is a hole just large enough to get the plug through. It is hidden my the reciever.

That stinks, so I'm thinking of trying to "splice" or use some other form of

adapter to allow me to use a car mount antenna in the back of the boombox for better in home reception when using the boombox.

Think it I could do that?

Probably, an antenna wire is just a COAX cable so I dont see why not. Just make sure you get rid of all the outer shielding when re-attaching your cable cause that is the negative(ground) signal.

That's amazing that Pep Boys had a silver that's nearly a perfect match to our cars. Which brand and color name is it?

"plasti-kote Import Color" Nissan 5435. I am not saying its a perfect match, but its close enough for me.

--Jason

I have the sirius universal unit that I keep in my cup holder since it won't fit anywhere else. I've had it since Christmas and I'm not 100% sold on the quality. Too much static or I loose the signal all together. I have the antena mounted properly with the tail but it still does not come in clearly sometimes. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could mount this thing? Maybe that's the problem of sound quality. I have the Legacy GT sedan 5 speed. Thanks

The tuner is mounted under the passenger seat. I tapped into the power / remote power from the stock head unit. I have the factory subwoofer installed so I didnt mind tapping into that wiring harness (it piggybacks onto the head units wiring harness). I grounded the unit to the ground on the right side of the factory head unit.

Quest, one last question from me. How did you attach the tuner under the seat. Did you just velcro the tuner to the carpet?

Thanks.

I have the sirius universal unit that I keep in my cup holder since it won't fit anywhere else. I've had it since Christmas and I'm not 100% sold on the quality. Too much static or I loose the signal all together. I have the antena mounted properly with the tail but it still does not come in clearly sometimes. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could mount this thing? Maybe that's the problem of sound quality. I have the Legacy GT sedan 5 speed. Thanks

That "static" is because the satellite radios "plug n play" are piggybacking

off the FM Modulator.

So, if you are using a frequency that's used by an FM channel, you'll hear

static in your speakers while listening to sat rad.

Try 88.1 or 88.3

As for reception, well, you'll always lose it when under cover (parking garage, tunnel, etc) but know this...Sirius reception is better than XM in this manner.

I couldn't stand how often I lost XM (even when I was driving in the great wide open, and even under EVERY freeway overpass). It's one of several reasons I switched to Sirius (which cuts out about 1/4th as often).

Archived