LegacyGT.com

Single exit exhaust?

boostsr20

Guest *Jedimaster*
Do you really want that look? I don't know about rice, but it sure would look funny with that other cutout for the pipe unused.

From a performance standpoint there is no reason whatsoever to run dual mufflers. I thought about going with a 3" single system, but I saw the Blitz system at a local meet and I did not like the look at all. For whatever reason it does not look right on the car. While the cost of dual mufflers will obviously be higher, I think it will be well worth it. A nicely made y-pipe will minimize any inherent flow restriction.

From a performance standpoint there is no reason whatsoever to run dual mufflers. I thought about going with a 3" single system, but I saw the Blitz system at a local meet and I did not like the look at all. For whatever reason it does not look right on the car. While the cost of dual mufflers will obviously be higher, I think it will be well worth it. A nicely made y-pipe will minimize any inherent flow restriction.
If someone would at least design something where the Y pipe is like 2.75" Then I would go duals. I'm not paying over a grand for a system that necks down to 2.25" at the Y. Thats just rediculous.:lol:

I would think the major reason for duals on this car is noise level. Dual 2.5" mufflers will give you more flow w/ less noise than a single 3". In fact, even dual 2.25" will have more cross sectional area than a single 3". Given the semi-luxury status I think a loud single can would be out of place...

Guest *Jedimaster*
Block off plates are available, whats the big deal? Looks are a matter of opinion.

How can you tell me to cool. I'm not the one bashing another forum member. This place needs some better moderating.

You called the guy an asshole and you're not bashing? :lol:

I'm not looking to get involved here, I just think it's funny.

I wasn't aware that they had block off plates- are they JDM?

If someone would at least design something where the Y pipe is like 2.75" Then I would go duals. I'm not paying over a grand for a system that necks down to 2.25" at the Y. Thats just rediculous.:lol:

You have to look at surface area. A 3" tube has a surface area of 7.16 sq.inches. A 2.25" tube has a surface area of 3.98 sq.inches. So a dual 2.25" tubes will have a total surface area of 7.96 sq.inches or an area that is larger than the single 3" tube that preceded it, and thus have potentially GREATER flow than a single 3" diameter tube. Your exhaust can only flow as much as its greatest restriction, so going to duals will not improve flow, but having dual 2.25" tails will not hurt in the least. Going bigger could actually hurt velocity and decrease low-end torque with no improvements in top-end power.

You called the guy an asshole and you're not bashing? :lol:

I'm not looking to get involved here, I just think it's funny.

I wasn't aware that they had block off plates- are they JDM?

I didn't call him an asshole. I said he could keep his asshole comments to himself. You expect me take sit here and take being called a Ricer by someone that doesn't even know me.:confused:

You have to look at surface area. A 3" tube has a surface area of 7.16 sq.inches. A 2.25" tube has a surface area of 3.98 sq.inches. So a dual 2.25" tubes will have a total surface area of 7.96 sq.inches or an area that is larger than the single 3" tube that preceded it, and thus have potentially GREATER flow than a single 3" diameter tube. Your exhaust can only flow as much as its greatest restriction, so going to duals will not improve flow, but having dual 2.25" tails will not hurt in the least. Going bigger could actually hurt velocity and decrease low-end torque with no improvements in top-end power.
Its been proven time and time again that a single 3" will flow better than a Y pipe dual setup. I'm not here to debate that with anyone. I have seen conclusive test on similar sized motors. The dual setup was extremely well design but it still had a fair bit less hp up top and lost little to none down low and through the midrange.

Its been proven time and time again that a single 3" will flow better than a Y pipe dual setup. I'm not here to debate that with anyone. I have seen conclusive test on similar sized motors. The dual setup was extremely well design but it still had a fair bit less hp up top and lost little to none down low and through the midrange.

I'm not debating that either. As I said before, from a power standpoint, a single is better. However, when you suggested that going from a single 3" to dual 2.25" tails was "rediculous", I'm simply pointing out that two 2.25" tubes offer the potential for greater flow than a single 3" tube. That's all. There are other factors involved that would determine the power production of either setup. Factors that I would imagine would vary signifigantly from car to car. Either way, go right ahead and do a single 3" system and let us all know how it works out.

You can run a custom 3", it's all just piping. No worries about how it looks, that's not the point that Boostsr20 is making.. be nice and please keep all profanity to zero.. a nicer way to put it was, "please leave the opinions of style aside.. I was looking for.." would have better words.. for those who plan to reply, please think before you type and choose your words wisely. Everyone lighten up, it's only piping and weight reduction.

Carry on.

Keefe

Keefe

Guest *Jedimaster*
I didn't call him an asshole. I said he could keep his asshole comments to himself. You expect me take sit here and take being called a Ricer by someone that doesn't even know me.:confused:

Well, if someone tells me to stop acting like a dick, I take it to mean they're calling me a dick :dunno:

But it's neither here not there- I just like to watch the fun.

You can run a custom 3", it's all just piping. No worries about how it looks, that's not the point that Boostsr20 is making.. be nice and please keep all profanity to zero.. a nicer way to put it was, "please leave the opinions of style aside.. I was looking for.." would have better words.. for those who plan to reply, please think before you type and choose your words wisely. Everyone lighten up, it's only piping and weight reduction.

Carry on.

Keefe

Thanks Keefe. Thats all I was looking for.:lol:

If/when I do an exhaust I think I will go the single route. Too bad I have an auto and dyno numbers are hard to be accurate with. I'll try to get it done though.

Well, if someone tells me to stop acting like a dick, I take it to mean they're calling me a dick :dunno:

But it's neither here not there- I just like to watch the fun.

Well, looks like I missed an interesting conversation this weekend while I was getting together with some great Legacygt.com members here in the Springs.

See http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8470&page=3

Anyway, sorry you were offended by my comment, Booster. I don't recall calling you a "ricer", but had I done so, it would not have been intended as an insult.

The fact is, whether they are looking for straight out performance, sound, appearance, whatever, many "ricers" take lots of cars with stock duals and convert them to single pipes, which is the point I was making to sleepin GT, who obviously had not seen such modifications.

It was not intended to degrade your request for information in any way. I haven't been a member that long, but I have not and will not flame other members.

Hope you find the exhaust you are looking for.

Archived