LegacyGT.com

Ghost in the Radio

mwiener2

Stopped by the suby dealer to see if they could turn the timer off on my rear window and wiper defrosters, so that the stay on constantly. Well, I bumped into this total hottie at the service desk. She was trying to get a problem with her stereo fixed, but of course, the service guy couldn't recreate the problem. He radio would mysteriously go from Volume 0 all the way up to 7 then back down to 0 all on it's own, and she was able to watch it as it climbed up and went back down. It would also switch between FM and CD on it's own too. Her's is a Legacy 2.5i Sedan. Any ideas to help the hottie out?

And then I remembered why I was there. The service guy said it would take an hour or two to "re-calibrate" everything so it would work that way. And I left.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Guest *Jedimaster*
So they'll make it so the rear defroster will stay on until you turn it off? The radio thing is common- if the dial is "between" numbers, then it will go up and down by itself.

So they'll make it so the rear defroster will stay on until you turn it off? The radio thing is common- if the dial is "between" numbers, then it will go up and down by itself.

between the notches can account for 1 increment up or down.

but from 0 to 7 ?!?

and BACK?

Guest *Jedimaster*
Yeah, it says in the manual that the dealer can do it. Once you push the button, it stays on till you push the button again or turn off the car.

I'd like to know how it is that the dealer can do these adjustments- if it's something I can do and don't need some sort of special electrical device made for Suby techs, I'd like to know about it.

I'd like to know how it is that the dealer can do these adjustments- if it's something I can do and don't need some sort of special electrical device made for Suby techs, I'd like to know about it.

It has to be done with the Subaru Select Monitor Tool...can't be done otherwise...

Guest *Jedimaster*
It has to be done with the Subaru Select Monitor Tool...can't be done otherwise...

Ah thanks- I thought maybe it was just something they'd rather not have customers fooling with.

Yeah, it says in the manual that the dealer can do it. Once you push the button, it stays on till you push the button again or turn off the car.

I just had it done this morning from the dealership and got billed for half an hour.

Archived