LegacyGT.com

Yet another stereo install.

Helfrick

Finally got most everything together and in the car this past weekend. I have little car audio experience, but I think it came together pretty well. The plan was to add much more volume and fill out the bottom end without breaking the bank or sounding like crap. In my opinion, I accomplished both. So without further delay:

1 Polk Audio DB6500 6.5" components

1 Polk Audio GNX10DVC 10" dual 4ohm sub

1 Boss Audio Riot 745 400w amp

1 Q-logic sealed sub enclosure (on clearance for $21!)

1 loc from Circuit city

Rockford fosgate amp kit

speaker wire, crimp on connectors, rca patch cable, etc.

Disassembly is so much fun:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/Helfrick/Scooby/da2ebf07.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/Helfrick/Scooby/8bf764fd.jpg

As you can see from the above picture and the two below, the 2.5i is not cursed with a single HVAC/Stereo unit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/Helfrick/Scooby/1fa02420.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/Helfrick/Scooby/4c34e0a3.jpg

The door panel was much fun. Needed to drill holes for the x-over and speakers. The 2" mounting depth on the Polks makes for a squeeze, but they fit without spacers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/Helfrick/Scooby/f5271be3.jpg

I know some of you are groaning at my choice of an amplifier. I like it. It was cheap, met my size, power, and signal requirements. It also has a crossover (not on my previous amps from waay back), and a remote sub level control that I mounted behind the fuse door.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/Helfrick/Scooby/d8d4985b.jpg

And finally, the sub. I really didn't like the grill on the sub enclosure, but because of the design, a regular grill would have looked worse. A couple of coats of spray paint and it looks a bit better. At some point I'm going to sand down the rough spots and redo it. The sub itself is wired series to raise the load to 8 ohms with the amp's rear channels bridged. It should be seeing ~100w.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/Helfrick/Scooby/175a5e50.jpg

I won't win any spl competitions, but it sounds just like I wanted. It is perfectly capable of rattling everything in the dashboard.

A quick word of thanks to everyone that posted instructions and walkthroughs. I would not have been able to do this without all of the information available here.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the positive input. I am now looking for even more excuses to go drive my car.

The tweeters are actually held in with a small amount of silicon. They are a bit wider than the stock units so they don't fit completely in the factory mounting bracket. They seem pretty stable with no rattling that I can hear.

The manual climate control may make it easier to build a new face plate, but the relative obscurity of the 2.5i may mean you GT/XT dweebs get one before we do. :p

BTW - an 8ohm bridged load would yield 200w RMS from that amp.

Check out a JL Audio dealer for a JL grille. It's designed different than others and may work better for you. It has a base plate the mounts under the woofer and then the grille snaps in place in front of the woofer. It has a very basic, classy look. Runs about $20/pair, but most shops will sell them in singles too.

Since you have the manual controls, Is it possible to put in an aftermarket head? If the manual controls don't go through the radio, it should work right?

Or is it harder than it looks?

It is possible, but I'm not aware of a face plate on the market yet.

Thanks for the great write up. How easy is it to separate the head unit from the front plate?

I didn't actually look to see if you could detach the face plate from the deck.

BTW - an 8ohm bridged load would yield 200w RMS from that amp.

Check out a JL Audio dealer for a JL grille. It's designed different than others and may work better for you. It has a base plate the mounts under the woofer and then the grille snaps in place in front of the woofer. It has a very basic, classy look. Runs about $20/pair, but most shops will sell them in singles too.

Hmm, I was thinking it would be around 100w RMS since it is rated @100w per channel @4ohms.

Good call on the JL grills. I will have to look in to those.

yeah...some amps will drive that load, but you lose all damping factor or control of the woofer's motion, I doubt the Boss amp could have handled that load for long anyway. That's like 1 ohm stereo. :eek:

• 3 months later...

Digging up an old thread here..

question, does the 2.5i not have tweeters in the door stock? Reason I ask is are there two leads going to the door or just one and they have one of those ghetto ass piggy back crossovers soddered to the back of the woofer?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Digging up an old thread here..

question, does the 2.5i not have tweeters in the door stock? Reason I ask is are there two leads going to the door or just one and they have one of those ghetto ass piggy back crossovers soddered to the back of the woofer?

There are tweeters in the door. I don't recall where the crossover is. I just ran new wire and left the stock stuff in place. I don't remember if there was anything soldered to the woofer.

Damn, putting me on the spot. There should only be one. There was only one when I tapped into the harness to run to the loc. As far as between the head unit and the door, I can't say for sure.

Yes; the stock setup splits to the tweeter inside the door wiring harness. The stock speakers have no crossover device except for the standard capacitor on the tweeter.

One more question, you mentioned that the sub can rattle the car but you never went into detail on the sound of the polks vs the stock speakers running off the stock HU's wattage... :confused:
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

The Polks get 100W each from the amp(4 channel). The other two channels are bridged to the sub. I wouldn't dare run them from the stock HU. They sound fantastic. I hate driving my wife's Outback now partly because of the difference in sound.

i tried to see where the speaker wire went for the front speakers in your pic. the stock speaker wire is connected in front of the door metal rather than behind like most speakers. where did you run the speaker wire to get it behind the speaker? is there another hole in the door that you used?

Archived