LegacyGT.com

Replacement tires VOID factory warranty?

racerdave

I was looking to do a tire swap on my car as many have done (Sube555, others) at the dealer before taking delivery. I was going to go with Pirelli Zero Nero M&S.

Anyway the dealer responds back with... "replacement tires will void your warranty." I know I saw the following memo, but this seems like a complete load of BS.

So all you folks running on anything *but* RE-92s have already voided your warranty? All of you on the Neros, all of you on Blizzaks, all of you on Nokians, etc??

This seems like a direct violation of the little bit I know about Moss-Magnusen since tires are clearly "wear items" and should not be subjected to this sort of heavy-handed tactic by SoA/Bridgestone. I'm sure many have an opinion about this topic... but have any of you encoutered warranty "issues" after changing only your tires??

See below: (taken from the depths of another post [thanks Franz]... but it needs to live on its own)

----------------

SOA Directive to Subaru Dealers Concerning Vehicle ModificationsTO: All Subaru Dealers

DEPARTMENT: Service

DATE: 12/20/2004 8:59:27 EST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The current Subaru vehicle design includes many considerations to make the vehicle meet or exceed Federal and State regulations for safety, emissions, fuel economy, vehicle classification and all other regulations.

In addition, Subaru incorporates state of the art technology and other comfort and convenience features in the overall design of the vehicles.

ANY aftermarket modification can either compromise the compliance of the vehicle or change the overall execution of the design parameters, thus compromising the vehicle’s performance and safety.

Subaru recognizes the request for personalization of vehicles by our customers, so we offer a selection of optional accessory parts that have been designed and tested to ensure that there is no effect on regulatory compliance, vehicle safety, performance and overall design criteria.

Any modifications other than with Subaru approved accessories are not endorsed or recommended by SOA and all dealers are discouraged from performing or arranging the modification for Subaru owners. Any modification may jeopardize the integrity of the vehicle, and can invalidate the Subaru Limited Warranty on the vehicle.

Unauthorized modifications, such as changing cloth seat covers to leather, installation of sunroofs, performance modifications to the drive train or suspension, including wheels and tires should not be undertaken.

If a customer insists on such modifications, SOA recommends that the dealer decline to perform the modification and notify the customer , that such modification can affect the warranty, usability and overall quality, durability, safety and performance of the vehicle.

If the dealer finds such modifications during normal servicing, the type and extent of the modifications should be noted on the repair order with an indication that the modifications could affect the warranty coverage.

We remind you that the Subaru Dealer Agreement and Standard Provisions specifically states that the Dealer agrees to indemnify SOA in the event of the “Dealer’s unauthorized alteration or modification of any Subaru product…” or “…Dealer’s sale or use of any part, accessory, or optional equipment which is not a Genuine Subaru Part…”

Please ensure that all dealer personnel understand the implications and liabilities that unauthorized modifications can have on your business and our customers.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Firstly, your warranty only covers the car as it came from the factory. Any item that is changed by the owners would not be covered by the warranty, nor would any damages caused by that item.

That being said, the only warranty that would be affected by changing the tires would be the Bridgestone warranty for the tires, unless you went with a different size tire...then you potentially could affect other portions of the warranty.

The letter mentioned above was sent to all the dealers to warn them that the aftermarket accessories some are selling and installing for new car customers can affect the warranty.

It's nothing new, consumers have always know that vehicle modifications can affect the warranty coverage, this internal letter just covers S.O.A. in the cases of dealer modified vehicles.

Again, re-read the letter, it's directed to Subaru Dealers, not to the consumer. Typical CYA letter, nothing to get all worried over.

I know someone who was told by Subaru that their installation of high performance tires indicated that they used the car for racing (this was in the context of litigation with Subaru - ever been deposed by Subaru's lawyers, I have :( )

Anyhow, this shows how no matter what the law is, if you have to fight it out you have to fight it out. Also, the CFR says quite clearly that the oonly party that can void a warranty is a court, not the manufacturer.

It is probably because of dealers like Bill Klob doing the GTX with 18's fitted with Falken tires, leather and suade seats, borla exaust, and that goofey navi. The dealers have to set an example for the company by not doing things like this.

Yes I do like the idae of the GTX and may get those seats sometime, but this means that they are mod friendly to a degree. If i do any mods I will be taking it to a mod friendly dealer, of corse my GT will be stage 2 at best btw.

There is a dealer in Michigan with a STi on the lot with winter Toyos installed as an option. A little hard to sell with summer rubbers on it while there is 4 inches of snow on the ground. Plus how do you think that test drive is going to feel? Plus, the added sticker says you get the Bridgestones with it. Makes sense in my book.

I still fail to see how replacing tires -- a standard wear item -- will void the warranty.

There's no way in h3ll they can enforce that... or can they?

Re-read the letter, it states that S.O.A. cannot be held liable for modifications the dealership makes to the vehicle including among other things, tires. It's a warning to the dealers, not a blanket statement to the consumer.

Cliff notes: Internal warning to dealers, consumers need not worry.

Re-read the letter, it states that S.O.A. cannot be held liable for modifications the dealership makes to the vehicle including among other things, tires. It's a warning to the dealers, not a blanket statement to the consumer.

Cliff notes: Internal warning to dealers, consumers need not worry.

Translation: Almost anyone who wants to try and get a dealer to do tire swaps -- like me -- is screwed, as most dealers are going to be overly paranoid about this issue.

So much for making it easy...

Translation: Almost anyone who wants to try and get a dealer to do tire swaps -- like me -- is screwed, as most dealers are going to be overly paranoid about this issue.

How would SOA know what set of tires you're running with? I'm sure this information is not provided when the dealer claims warranty work on your car to SOA.

Also, how would they know of any tire swap deal you made with the dealer, the tire swap could be some sort of side deal/separate invoice as if they sold you a set of tires only.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

sounds like BS to me. tires wear, hence then need to be replaced. S.O.A. wont know if u did a tire swap @ the dealer or if you just wore your ties down and had to replace them yourself. also, what warrenty would it void?!?! not like its going to affect the power train or anything:D plus, even if a tire u swaped out and blew and were in a horrible accident and totaled the car, that wouldn't be covered by any warrenty anyways, would just be SOL:rolleyes:

If you're interested in performance mods you should find a dealership that shares your enthusiasm. Even if you have to pay a little more for your car there it will be well worth it down the line if you run into problems that fall into the grey area between problems with the vehicle and problems caused by mods.

As I recall, the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) went to court on the "Voids Warranty" issue and won. The car manufacturer isn't expected to warranty the aftermarket parts, but HAVING aftermarket parts on a car will not void the manufacturer's warranty UNLESS it can be proven that the aftermarket part caused, or was directly responsible for, damage that would ordinarily be covered by the car manufacturer's warranty.

...and that seems reasonable.

I would not hesitate to use any street tire that I wanted to buy.

As long as the tire used is at LEAST as effective as the stock tire, was of a reasonable fitment and mounted on proper wheels, is of the same make and model on all four wheels (on a four wheel vehicle), and suitable for the climate in which it will be used, no court with half a brain would rule against me.

That's not to say there aren't courts with LESS than half a brain, because there most certainly are!

However, changing tire make and model, especially if you upgrade, should not be a "Voids Warranty" issue.

I never buy ANY tire without researching consumer reviews first.

Tirerack's Consumer Reviews could be considered "evidence" that a different make/model tire performs as well or better than the stock tire.

For SEMA info, go here:

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=/content/SEMAorg/HomePage#

Much Ado About Nothing! That letter is a perfectly legitimate CYA declaration from SOA to the Dealer's. The letter says that non-factory items CAN void parts of the warranty - it doesn't say it WILL void parts of the warranty. They are not concerned about aftermarket wheels and tires that are the correct fitment with a near-stock offset, weight, width, and overall diameter. But if someone insists that their dealer fit 20" spinners that weigh in at 45lbs and have virtually no rubber on them, then yes, SOA is going to refuse to honor any warranty claims for worn shocks, bushings, and / or suspension damage. That's the intent of this letter, even though it's written VERY generically. And as the SEMA lawsuit (which I've also heard about) proves, SOA can write whatever letter they feel like, but the law is on our side. Just stick with Keefe's recommendations for tire sizes and wheel offset and make sure your new wheels aren't too heavy.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I agree..the word 'modification' should mean that significant changes to rolling diameter, offset, etc. could affect the design parameters and safety (e.g. load on hubs or halfshafts). Replacement tires are not modifications. With so many SUVs rolling on 22" dubs I can see SOA's point...but the memo was poorly written. The challenge is for Subaru to make more approved parts available.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

The bottom line is that the dealer I went with appears to be extremely paranoid about this stuff and won't change the tires. It's irksome, but not a deal-breaker for me.

Ultimately, it'll just force me to get the tires I want, then sell the RE-92s on the side or something. It would've been cleaner to handle on the dealer side before I even take delivery, but not a show-stopper.

Probably just bad timing more than anything. CYA *this* SoA... ;)

• 6 months later...
They can't void your warrenty just based on the tires. I can't see them doing it, especially that when my tire failed at only 300 miles - SOA and the dealership both told me "we have nothing to do with the tires on your vehicle, you'll have to take it up with the tire manufacturer (Bridgestone)."

Archived