LegacyGT.com

Ultimate Detailing Machine vs Porter Cable 7424

My new UDM arrived from Autogeek today. I haven't seen too many side by side reviews, so I figured I'd throw in my $.02. :) This is just an initial review with more detailed reviews to come. I've got some cars lined up this weekend that will be good battle conditions to test it with. ;)

It's a nice looking device. Very similar looking to the PC. It seems to be heavier, but that could just be my imagination. It feels different, that's for sure, but it could just be ballanced differently. I'm sure the weight specifications are somewhere, but it is the perception of more weight that is of note.

Side by side they look really similar. There is one big difference though. The UDM's speed dial juts out a bit. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet, but it will be nice if the treads ever get filled with polish like my PC sometimes gets.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/udm/DSC02375.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/udm/DSC02380.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/udm/DSC02379.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/udm/DSC02378.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/udm/DSC02377.jpg

Something else to note is that the power cord on the UDM is about 40 inches shorter than the PC by my measurments. I don't think that is really an issue since there probably isn't anybody using the PC without an extention cord anyway.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/udm/DSC02376.jpg

The tool was very similar to the PC as well. In fact, the PC tool can be used with the UDM if you wanted.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/udm/DSC02383.jpg

Other things to note are the vibrations. The UDM seems to vibrate less when there isn't a pad on it, but one I put the Edge 2000 white pad on and put a coat of wax on my Reflex I noticed that it does vibrate quite a bit more. It is quieter than the PC though, so that is a decent trade. I'll get better forearm muscles, less damage to my ears, and a bit of a massage while I'm using it I guess. :) I can't say it is any better or worse than the PC yet, and I may never be able to tell the real difference unless I try removing damage by alternating machines, but for now I can say it is a nice looking machine that is very similar to the PC. If it has more power then that makes it worth it. It seems to operate and work just like the PC, so if you are familiar with that tool then this will be an easy transition. I would be comfortable recomending this tool to beginners just like the PC is good for beginners.

Here is a little video if that is helpful. It isn't the greatest production quality, but I'm not the greatest cinematographer in the world, so be happy with what you get. lol :) The muffled part at the end is my fault too. The mic is at a really dumb point on the top of my camera. I always forget that it is there. Anyway, hopefully it helps answer some questions.

video :: UDM vs PC video by OCDetails - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid2.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/video/MOV02381-new.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid2@@AMEPARAM@@2@@AMEPARAM@@y42/OCDetails/video/MOV02381-new

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Well, I am. But I'm at home till 1:30 with the kids, so come on by! I've got a new wax I'd like to see on your car. Have you heard about XMT180 yet? It is supposed to be really something else and I'd love to see it on black and get your take on it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

You da man!

I can tell immediately from the video that I would rather purchase the UDM, it seems to be more user friendly (especially for a random oribital noob like me :lol:). I've got my online purchasing finger on the button right now.......can you recommend a package for the casual user (no crazy damage or anything).

TIA:)

You da man!

I can tell immediately from the video that I would rather purchase the UDM, it seems to be more user friendly (especially for a random oribital noob like me :lol:). I've got my online purchasing finger on the button right now.......can you recommend a package for the casual user (no crazy damage or anything).

TIA:)

Well, if you are going to be starting out on this venture without any products, pads, or towels, then the perfect starter kit would be this kit right here. That is the kit that I just received and it is perfect for the beginner. Throw in a couple polishes of your choice and you are set to go. I would recomend XMT polishes if you are looking for something easy and effective. XMT2 and XMT1 should be sufficient. There are so many to choose from on this page here, but the XMT line really should do the trick.

I haven't used the XMT180 wax, yet, but I intend to give it a shot tomorrow on a black LGT hopefully. It won't be as durable as a sealant, but I have nothing but kudos to give to Pinnacle and their products, so I'm sure it will be outstanding. I'll post pictures. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

you detail with soda? ever try mixing mentos with soda for extra detailing powa?!?

I did that little experiment with my son a couple weeks ago. He thought it was the coolest thing in the world. I had to waste a perfectly good bottle of Coke on it, but the reaction was worth it. lol

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 1 year later...
I've never seen a UDM with a cord longer than the short stubby one that it comes with. You'd have to chop it and add your own if you want a longer one. Even the Porter Cable 7424 doesn't typically have a cord that long. You'd have to get this version to get a longer cord on the PC7424.

OCDETAILS BLOG

On a sidenote... Another tool that absolutely MUST be considered if you are looking at getting serious about paint care is the FLEX XC3401. Check this guy's site out for a fantastic side by side comparison between the FLEX and PC. That dude's site was the inspiration for a redesign on OCDetails that I'm still not finished with yet. His use of videos is something that I haven't done yet, but is something that will be included in the new OCDetails. :) Anyway, that tool is definitely a great one. I have one that I bought this spring. The first thing I did when I bought it was put the UDM on the shelf never to be used again. The PC still comes along for the ride, but I really don't see myself ever going back to it as a main 'go to' tool for detailing. I'll keep it around so when I have one of my guys come with me on a job they can use it, but the FLEX is my tool of choice now. It is the next step between a PC and a rotary as far as power goes, but it is still a random orbital polisher, so it stays just as safe as the UDM or PC.

OCDETAILS BLOG

The FLEX rocks for several reasons. One of the big ones is that it doesn't vibrate NEAR as much as a PC does. I'll put it this way... I did two cars yesterday that both required about an hour or two with the PC. Using the PC on a job like that would still have my hands hurting the next day. With the FLEX I can barely feel any soreness in my fingers. It is a lot of work with your hands and fingers anyway, so some soreness is to be expected, but the PC utterly exhausts you.

The FLEX isn't necessarily more powerful. It is definitely more effective though. The whole thing is gear driven. You know how the pad spins on the PC even when it is off? That part is gear driven on the FLEX. So if you put pressure on it you don't lose part of the movement of the pad. I really don't know if it is more powerful or not, but the fact that you get full 'random orbit' for 100% of the time makes it a much more effecient tool and cuts the polishing time down by at least a third if not two thirds on some jobs. I got results in half the time on a car I detailed yesterday than I got a year ago when I detailed it in similar condition.

The FLEX is money well spent if you are looking to save time. It paid for itself in the first month that I had it. If you are just detailing your own vehicle then you probably don't need to step up to it yet.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived