LegacyGT.com

Climate Control = inferno or artic

Just to give you all a quick heads up. I have an 06 Legacy GT which has been a great car except for the fact that my climate control is possessed. I have taken the car in for service multiple times with the same issue. The climate control will be blowing super heated air or icy cold air. The techs flushed the heater core and tried to adjust everything they could, but they have pretty much given up on me. I took a ride with my service advisor and I had the driver set to 65 and the passenger set to 75 degrees. The air blowing out of BOTH driver/passenger vents was the same. They said that they set the car to 85 degrees on both sides and the driver side was blowing 105 degrees and the passenger side was blowing 65 degree air. All temp readings were verified with a mechanics thermometer. They called SoA and were told that the temperatures will vary up to 10-15!!!! degres and that is normal. I am sick and tired of hearing my passengers complain about how cold they are or how the heat is melting them when the car is set to 73 degrees. This is a 30k car and Subaru is telling me that its normal for the car to be set at 65 degees and its blowing 80 degree heat ?!?! Anyone else with this issue?

Have you tried not using the Auto function? I haven't had any problems using my AC on "regular" manual mode instead of auto. Just turn your air conditioning off and turn it back on by pressing on the fan speed button instead of the auto button. I normally keep the temp set at 72 for heat in the winter (with A/C button off) and then in the summer keep it at 65 with AC on. I then manually adjust the temperature number as needed. Also, I haven't had any issues with setting the temp differently on both sides. My GirlFriend always likes more heat than I do, so she sets it to 82 while mine remains in 72 -- and I can definitely feel the difference in temp from her side to mine.

Did I make sense? Just a thought.

Have them check all the temperature sensors, interior and exterior...I believe the Legacy uses three. If any sensor is reading incorrectly the climate control will not work correctly.

Hmm i just had my car in yesterday for this problem. They said my drivers side measured 140 and my passenger 80 (still confused how it can get that hi on the drivers side). They said there was a TSB for a fix (RC-172-48) which i don't see on L7.com at all. Either way, it seems to have fixed the issue. From what i was told it was basically flushing the coolant system and doing 1 or 2 other things.

Hmm i just had my car in yesterday for this problem. They said my drivers side measured 140 and my passenger 80 (still confused how it can get that hi on the drivers side). They said there was a TSB for a fix (RC-172-48) which i don't see on L7.com at all. Either way, it seems to have fixed the issue. From what i was told it was basically flushing the coolant system and doing 1 or 2 other things.

That's a recall, not a TSB. It's on TheL7.com here: http://www.thel7.com/Recalls/WWY-09.pdf

• 3 years later...

I have experienced same problem on my 05 GT wagon. Dealer says they found rust in cooling system (despite its being flushed 1k miles ago!) and that this is preventing them from diagnosing problem.

Can anyone confirm that there is only one heater core?

thanks

ALex

Archived