LegacyGT.com

6 Speed Transmission Conversion on my '05

sti_lust

After waiting to get my car back for the last several weeks, I just took delivery of my '05 LGT last week with an STi 6-speed transmission that my shop installed for me. Along with other mods that I've done to the car over the last 15 or so months, the transmission puts the car into a totally different league and driving experience. I'm running a GT35R turbo with front mount intercooler, 850cc injectors, etc. Prior to the transmission conversion, the late spool on the large turbo definitely affected the overall driveability of the car. Now that I've got the 6 speed, spool is just not much of an issue. The car feels amazing. We actually brought spool in a little earlier with a smaller exhaust housing on the turbo.

I haven't been active on the forums for a while (reading or posting), so I'm not sure if anyone else out there has gone down this road of converting to a 6-spd. Should any of you have it in mind, I'd urge you to first consider looking at the Spec B, which already has a 6-speed. I don't know if that tranny is the exact same as the one that I grabbed from an '05 STi, but I do know that the costs of working up a Spec B, without having to do all of the mods associated with the tranny swap are going to be less than what I did.

Happy Driving to all.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What did you do with the differentials?

Yay, and what about the DCCD? I've read of some people hacking together control boxes for it, and I also know that you can buy some ready-made DCCD interfaces. Sounds like a sweet setup - more info pleeese!

-Ryan

Heh heh -- with a 6spd you spend more time shifting than accelerating. It might be fun on a tight road course but for daily driving and max acceleration it's got to bite the big one.

I've seen STi's at the track -- they shift to 2nd before they pass the timing lights! On another forum I've seen 'em discussing racing from a 30 mph roll and they choose 3rd gear and are in 4th by 60. That sucks!

Driving the box truck at work again, eh?

No - I'm just spewing buzz words that people who don't drive manuals (but want other people on the intarweb to think they do) use all the time. I mean, who the hell pushes the clutch twice each shift? How stupid.

Attempt to balance your heel and your toe over 2 pedals and pray to god your foot doesn't slip off the clutch? Is that it?

Powershifting? Oh yeah, great idea on your 30,000 new car. I do it when I'm pwning minivans.

I mean, it so Fast N Furious.

The only thing i do on occasion is rev-match a downshift. Go me!

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

No - I'm just spewing buzz words that people who don't drive manuals (but want other people on the intarweb to think they do) use all the time. I mean, who the hell pushes the clutch twice each shift? How stupid.

Attempt to balance your heel and your toe over 2 pedals and pray to god your foot doesn't slip off the clutch? Is that it?

Powershifting? Oh yeah, great idea on your 30,000 new car. I do it when I'm pwning minivans.

The only thing i do on occasion is rev-match a downshift. Go me! I'm going to make a Poll and see how many do what...

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

The only thing i do on occasion is rev-match a downshift. Go me! I'm going to make a Poll and see how many do what...

people who have non-synchro gearboxes have to double-clutch.

heel-toeing is the only way to downshift in a manual while threshold braking without upsetting the chassis with extra engine braking.

these are legitimate terms.

Archived