LegacyGT.com

LGT Fog DRL diagram - Would this work?

zuczek

Tried the circuit and it didn't work. It seems like the DRL relay only provides switched ground when the regular low beams are on. Even if I take out the DRL relay, the DRL's still work. Weiird this was that the low beams worked as well with no DRL relay. I think the DRL relay is to provide a more stable Ground when the low beams are on at full power. I'm going to try another way. I will see what output I will get on the brown wire coming from the DRL module. That's the wire, when cut (on the white harness unplugged from the DRL module) disables the DRL's. Hopefully it shows -12V(GND) when the DRL's are on, but not when the low beams are on. This way, I can simply cut that wire and run it to the fog light relay. Then simply do the foglight mod (to have fogs work independently from the low beam) and it should work. I will test tommorow.

• 2 weeks later...
did you figure out how tohave fogs for DRL and no other lights on yet? I would be happy just to have TOTAL independent operation of fogs also, but I can't find these instructions any where. The SCANS site just has fogs on with park lights but this will also mean tails on and dash, which I don't want. I love my HIDs but want DRL too. TOTAL independent FOGS is what I need?If someone can help I would appreciate it.

To have fully independend fogs, simply cut the Blue/White wire (Blue wire with white stripe) and tap that wire into the Red/Blue wire behind the Fog relay. You would be able to switch the fogs on even with the car off. Remember that if you forget to turn the fogs off, you will drain your battery this way.

thanks for the post, i don't want to have to remember to turn lights off when used as a DRL, I think VK33 has the solution, fogs on anytime independent, off with ignition, but the thumb nail pics don't appear on her post for me and she won't send me the pics seperately. If anyone saved these pics and can email to me I would really appreciate it.

If you want, you can have the DRL come on only when the handbrake is down (just like the factory) by adding another relay. I'm doing that tommorow.

Also, I want to use a 3rd relay to enable the flash to pass feature but without using the low beams as well. Should be pretty simple.

Did the mod today Zuczek and works great, the wire from purple to the relay did nothing though ??? My drl only works when the fog light switch is on but that's the way i want it to work anyway, so thanks for all your work it all works just the way i want, fog drl and nothing else or no drl or fog's and parking or fogs and low beams and shuts fogs off when high beam, perfect !! Thanks again.

Yoo have to make sure that you use the right relay. There are 2 kinds you can get and they look the same.

One has terminal 85, 86, 30, 87, 87B

another has 85, 86, 30, 87, 87A

You need the one with 87 A. There must be continuity between terminal 30 and 87A while the relay is NOT ENERGIZED. If you use the 87B relay, it won't work as it only switches from 30 to both of the 87 and 87B terminals.

BTW, check out my new diagram. It uses 2 relays but it mimicks the stock DRL function. (DRL's only on when engine is running and hand brake is down)

Works Great!

The relay you are using is not doing anything at all. If all you wanted is to be able to turn on the fogs without the need of having low beams on then all you need is to cut that first wire and attach it to the other one. No relay needed. Get the proper relay and it will work alot better. It has to have the 87A terminal in the middle and not 87B.

Check out this post for a proper relay.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42877

Canadian Tire relay will most likely not work. I got mine at Princess Auto (not sure if you got them where you live).

Just take the relay out, and check if there is continuity between terminal 30 and the middle terminal 87. If not, then you got the wrong relay

Archived