LegacyGT.com

Did you know the gauge cluster is also an OBD scanner?

According to the service manual if you re-connect the diag connector by the fuse box under the dash, then press the trip knob during the guage sweep it will tell you if/what codes are present! Excellent. Anyone think they have codes thrown? Wanna try it out? I should probably do it, the stuttering might throw codes.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks mate - I found it. The correct term for this symptom is hesitation under load I believe - stuttering is a symptom some people have with their speech and nothing to with cars. Some people are funny. Gt's only and nothing to do with clutches either, my mistake.

[quote]Main Entry: stut·ter Pronunciation: 'st&-t&r Function: verb Etymology: frequentative of English dialect stut to stutter, from Middle English stutten; akin to Dutch stotteren to stutter, Gothic stautan to strike -- more at CONTUSION intransitive senses 1 : to speak with involuntary disruption or blocking of speech (as by spasmodic repetition or prolongation of vocal sounds) [b]2 : to move or act in a halting or spasmodic manner <the old jalopy bucks and stutters uphill -- William Cleary>[/b] [/quote] The word stutter describes the problem pretty well.

[quote name='devobuzz']What do you mean by "re-connect the diag. connector"? There is nothing plugged into it. Where will the codes be displayed? Do you count the flashes of the CEL to obtain the code?[/quote] There's a male and female connector under the dash that aren't hooked up. On the odometer, looks like. It seems to me the actual number comes up, but it's hard to tell without doing it.

YEAH!!!! This makes me HAPPY! :D :D :D I have been seriously preturbed that my wife's miata throws codes every great once in a while, and I don't have the cash to get a reader at the moment. This doesn't solve my miata problem, but it does help restore my faith that car companies don't think their customers are all complete morons. Kudos to Subaru. Would love to know more from anyone who tries it.

Even the 1991 Legacy had this. It was an obnoxiously long & complicated sequence with the automatic transmisison shifter if I recall, and then you had to count long & short flashes from the check engine light, but you could get at the info. It would help even more if they published what the numbers mean.

[quote name='Deer Killer']According to the service manual if you re-connect the diag connector by the fuse box under the dash, then press the trip knob during the guage sweep it will tell you if/what codes are present![/quote] So, my CEL is currently lit up ( [url]http://www.legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3155[/url] ), and I cannot find the diag connector under the dash by the fuse box. Do I have to remove the black plate to find it? I hooked up the test connecter on the passenger side and tried it, but no luck. I did get a couple options on the trip odometer, though: S (toggle on and off) and I (toggle on and off). Does anyone know what those are? Please help...Thanx! GoSix
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

[quote name='GoSix'][quote name='Deer Killer']According to the service manual if you re-connect the diag connector by the fuse box under the dash, then press the trip knob during the guage sweep it will tell you if/what codes are present![/quote] So, my CEL is currently lit up ( [url]http://www.legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3155[/url] ), and I cannot find the diag connector under the dash by the fuse box. Do I have to remove the black plate to find it? I hooked up the test connecter on the passenger side and tried it, but no luck. I did get a couple options on the trip odometer, though: S (toggle on and off) and I (toggle on and off). Does anyone know what those are? Please help...Thanx! GoSix[/quote] The drawing seems to show it on the left hand side of the fuses..

Alright, found them. They were taped up, hidden above the fuses and all the black cable. Found a green one and a white one. The white is the one that gives the codes. I got "P0852". Now...what does that mean??? :)
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

[quote name='GoSix']Alright, found them. They were taped up, hidden above the fuses and all the black cable. Found a green one and a white one. The white is the one that gives the codes. I got "P0852". Now...what does that mean??? :)[/quote] "Neutral Switch Input Circuit High"

[quote name='Deer Killer']"Neutral Switch Input Circuit High"[/quote] Hmm....I'm bringing my car into the dealership in a couple weeks to get a clear bra (with the 500 scooby bucks). Would I be able to wait until then, or would this be a more urgent issue?

[quote name='GoSix'][quote name='Deer Killer']"Neutral Switch Input Circuit High"[/quote] Hmm....I'm bringing my car into the dealership in a couple weeks to get a clear bra (with the 500 scooby bucks). Would I be able to wait until then, or would this be a more urgent issue?[/quote] I have no idea what that means..

It's possible this is referring to the neutral safety switch that prevents the starter from operating unless the car is in neutral or park or has the clutch pressed in. Perhaps this switch is not operating properly on your car, meaning perhaps your car WILL start with the transmission in gear.

[quote name='centerpunch']It's possible this is referring to the neutral safety switch that prevents the starter from operating unless the car is in neutral or park or has the clutch pressed in. Perhaps this switch is not operating properly on your car, meaning perhaps your car WILL start with the transmission in gear.[/quote] I should try that...starting without the clutch (out of gear still). I called the dealership and they are ordering me a new neutral safety switch. They said that older Subarus also had problems with it (mine is new, though). They are going to make a couple calls and get back to me on whether or not I need to bring the car in right away. They think it's no big deal though. It was pretty cool that the dealership was happy that I could give them the error code without me having to bring in the car. Geez that sentence was written poorly. Blah, live with it! :)

Archived