LegacyGT.com

HID FAQ

Drift Monkey

Since there are so many HID questions (and requests for me to do one), I've decided to do a little FAQ. 8) Q: What is HID lighting? A: [b]H[/b]igh [b]I[/b]ntesity [b]D[/b]ischarge lighting. HID lighting technology replaces the filament of the light bulb with a capsule of xenon gas. The light is emitted from an arc discharge between two closely spaced electrodes hermetically sealed inside a small quartz glass tubular envelope capsule. To operate, they require ballasts, which supply proper voltage and control current. The amount of light produced is greater than a standard halogen bulb, while consuming less power, and more closely approximating the color temperature of natural daylight. Q: Do I need HIDs? A: Many owners would argue no. The projector setup is supplies more than adequate lighting for all points and purposes. HID lighting does have it's advantages however. HID lights generally emit a greater amount of light per wattage and produce a purer, whiter light, closer to that of the sun. Halogens are yellowish in comparison. The bulbs also last longer than standard halogen bulbs and in some cases 3 to 5 times as long! Do remember that this comes at a cost as HID bulbs generally cost much more than standard halogen bulbs. A low cost alternative many owners have tried (with success) is swtiching to Osram Silverstar H7 bulbs. Do not confuse these with the Sylvania Silverstars found in local autostores, as these do not have a blue tint to them. Blue tint, while emitting a whiter light, decreases total light output and usable parts of the usable light spectrum during incliment weather. The bulbs desired are as pictured and can be purchased through retailers such as [url]http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk[/url] , [url]www.suvlights.com[/url] , and many other reputable online vendors, as they are not available in the US. Osram Silverstars: [img]http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/uploads/images_products/124.jpg[/img] Image coutesy of [url]www.powerbulbs.co.uk[/url] Q: What HID kits fit the Legacy? A: A H7 kit is required. Make sure this kit includes D2S bulbs. Q: What is the difference between D2S and D2R bulbs? A: D2S bulbs are make for projector type housings while D2R bulbs are made for reflector housings. The Legacy utilizes a projector layout, so D2S bulbs are required for correct light output. Q: What kelvin (K) temperature rating bulbs should I get? A: Bulb temperatures range from 4100K - 6,000k+. Higher the temperature ratings indicate more blue/purple light output. Note that the 4100K bulbs are the whitest lights available and therefore produce the most usable light. 5000K bulbs produce a bluer tint, and 6000K+ produces a more blue/purple light output. Examples: 4100K: [img]http://www.xenonfactory.com/products/hid/hid_4100k.jpg[/img] Note: 4300K is very similar. 5000K: [img]http://www.xenonfactory.com/products/hid/hid_5000k.jpg[/img] 6000K: [img]http://www.xenonfactory.com/products/hid/hid_6000k.jpg[/img] Images courtesy of [url]www.xenonfactory.com[/url]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You forgot one... Q: Do HID lights blind oncoming drivers. A: Absolutely. The intensity of the light combined with the frequency is especially blinding to drivers with blue eyes. You may see better but you're effectively turning the other driver into a Stevie Wonder without the musical talent.

[quote name='jaycee']You forgot one... Q: Do HID lights blind oncoming drivers. A: Absolutely. The intensity of the light combined with the frequency is especially blinding to drivers with blue eyes. You may see better but you're effectively turning the other driver into a Stevie Wonder without the musical talent.[/quote] no

• 2 weeks later...
1. Is it true that lower color temperatures have more lumens? 2. If yes, then is it also true with more lumens you can see better (farther, wider and brighter)? 3. On the 2005 Legact 2.5 GT Ltd. the low beam is H7, the high beam is 9005 and the fog is H3...Is there a company that sells a nice plug-n-play conversion kit @ 4,000k range? 4. What would one expect the pricing to be for each kit? 5. Is it true that higher lumen bulbs have lower bulblife or higher color temperature bulb have lower bulblife? Thanks, CRAZY KEN

Oh, Lord...I don't know what to say except nice work, Drift Monkey. Note that the only HID lights that effectively "blind" other drivers are when you put HIDs in a reflector housing, which is designed to scatter light thanks to the reflector. In a properly-designed projector housing that is also properly adjusted, HIDs will be fine, though senior drivers will still find the light bothersome. This, however, is because it exists in a spectrum in which older eyes are particularly sensitive. My wife is also really bothered by HIDs, which is why she hates driving at night. Yes, lower color temperatures produce more usable light, even if they don't look as cool. Someone on the board used a McCulloch kit that isn't quite plug and play, and kits are probably in the $300 range at this point. One problem with aftermarket HID kits is that for whatever reason, they seem to have a lower bulb life than OE HID kits, which often last the life of the car. Generally HIDs emit less actual heat than halogen bulbs, so in theory, they should last a long time. This is often not the case, however. Ask lots of questions, particularly over at a place such as NASIOC, where lots of people have done all sorts of HID conversions. Kevin

[quote name='liquidiq']The McCulloch kit that I ordered is the same as Weasels, which he said was quite plug and play.[/quote] The way that the Legacy's headlights are set up, I don't see how it's plug and play, unless there is a different routing for the wiring. With the Prodrive headlight setup (also H7), you had to cut a hole in the weather boot for the wiring. Perhaps the Legacy's is different, and it is indeed plug and play. Kevin

[quote name='CRAZY KEN']1. Is it true that lower color temperatures have more lumens? 2. If yes, then is it also true with more lumens you can see better (farther, wider and brighter)? 3. On the 2005 Legact 2.5 GT Ltd. the low beam is H7, the high beam is 9005 and the fog is H3...Is there a company that sells a nice plug-n-play conversion kit @ 4,000k range? 4. What would one expect the pricing to be for each kit? 5. Is it true that higher lumen bulbs have lower bulblife or higher color temperature bulb have lower bulblife? Thanks, CRAZY KEN[/quote] 1. FAQ answered this, yes. 2. Yes as confimed by the answer to question one. 3. [url]www.xenonfactory.com[/url] is a good source for phillips ballast/bulbs. 4. About $450 shipped last I checked. 5. I'm not sure about this one although bulbs with too high of a wattage rating for the light harness could melt the harness so stick with the specified wattage. 8)

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='liquidiq']The McCulloch kit that I ordered is the same as Weasels, which he said was quite plug and play.[/quote] The way that the Legacy's headlights are set up, I don't see how it's plug and play, unless there is a different routing for the wiring. With the Prodrive headlight setup (also H7), you had to cut a hole in the weather boot for the wiring. Perhaps the Legacy's is different, and it is indeed plug and play. Kevin[/quote] Well, I installed the McCulloch kit tonight. It really was plug and play, took an hour and we were taking our time! Took the intake box out, and the battery, that gave us a lot more room for our hands. It works GREAT! Just remember to turn off your DRLs ;)

[quote name='CRAZY KEN']McCulloch kit wHERE and how much...do they have a H3 setup too??? CRAZY KEN[/quote] [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7924284528&category=36476[/url] You can email him about H3

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='agctr']Here is a question for u DM, do u know if anyone has tried to hookup HID for their fog lights and how success would that process B ? Adam.[/QUOTE] It is certainly is possible however I wouldn't personally see a point in it. Yellow H3 bulbs would serve best for incliment weather. Re-sticky much? :confused:

[quote name='jaycee']You forgot one... Q: Do HID lights blind oncoming drivers. A: Absolutely. The intensity of the light combined with the frequency is especially blinding to drivers with blue eyes. You may see better but you're effectively turning the other driver into a Stevie Wonder without the musical talent.[/QUOTE] You would have about as much of a chance of blinding another driver by flinging a bag of goose crap at their windshield as they pass by than by driving around with HID. Projectors are one thing.....reflector housings can blind. We don't have the ladder.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']You would have about as much of a chance of blinding another driver by flinging a bag of goose crap at their windshield as they pass by than by driving around with HID. Projectors are one thing.....reflector housings can blind. We don't have the ladder.[/QUOTE] Who has the ladder then? :p

You guys seem to be making my point for me. If HIDs throw more light, reflecting it off objects in front of them and allowing the driver behind them to see better, then they also allow more light into the eyes of the oncoming driver. It seems like basic physics. True, the problem can be minimized if they're properly aimed but that doesn't help when the car goes over bumps or is coming up an incline. They're especially heinous when high off the ground like on a truck or SUV. Put simply, more light coming from the front of your car helps you see, but often reduces the ability of the oncoming driver to see. You can't have it both ways. It would be an interesting leap in technology if the light scattered from a headlight only reached the eyes of the driver of the car in which the light was mounted. When they invent these (and if they aren't too expensive) I'd like to get some. :) That being said - this appears to be an unpopular view in this forum - so let the flaming begin...

[quote name='jaycee']You guys seem to be making my point for me. If HIDs throw more light, reflecting it off objects in front of them and allowing the driver behind them to see better, then they also allow more light into the eyes of the oncoming driver. It seems like basic physics. True, the problem can be minimized if they're properly aimed but that doesn't help when the car goes over bumps or is coming up an incline. They're especially heinous when high off the ground like on a truck or SUV. Put simply, more light coming from the front of your car helps you see, but often reduces the ability of the oncoming driver to see. You can't have it both ways. It would be an interesting leap in technology if the light scattered from a headlight only reached the eyes of the driver of the car in which the light was mounted. When they invent these (and if they aren't too expensive) I'd like to get some. :) That being said - this appears to be an unpopular view in this forum - so let the flaming begin...[/QUOTE] No flaming but you're logic is a bit off. Just because you are throwing more light in front of you does not mean that oncoming traffic will be blinded by your output. A weel designed, well aimed system does just that, provides great lighting for the driver as well as keeping the light down on the road instead of in other driver's eyes.

Archived